Passive Aggressive Oprah

Gives BS Apology for

Switzerland Racist Flap

8/13/2013 10:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0813_oprah_tmzOprah Winfrey says she's kinda sorta "sorry" for the fallout that ensued after she told the media about a "racist" encounter at a purse store in Switzerland ... saying, "I'm really sorry that it got blown up."

Yeah, right.

Oprah addressed the media at the premiere of "The Butler" in L.A. last night -- backpedaling after the shop in question started to refute O's allegations of racism during an incident last month.

The shop owner says the whole thing was a "misunderstanding" and had "nothing to do with racism."

Last night, Oprah said ... "I think that incident in Switzerland was just an incident in Switzerland. I'm really sorry that it got blown up. I purposefully did not mention the name of the store. I'm sorry that I said it was Switzerland."

Problem is ... O's full of it. What did she think was going to happen when she went on national TV and cried racism? The media was just going to ignore that??

Oprah once ragged on hamburgers and single-handedly CRIPPLED the beef industry. She knew damn well how the media was going to handle the Switzerland situation ... which is why she went to the media in the first place. Her mission was to destroy the shop.

There are some people who are saying Oprah's Swiss encounter wasn't really about race -- Oprah was just mad she wasn't treated like Her Royal O-ness because the shop employee didn't recognize her ... but now, after the employee told the media she's being unfairly attacked, O's feeling a little guilty.

But pretending not to know about the impact of her race allegations?? That's like Obama pretending not to know what's gonna happen if he pushes that big red button in the White House.

C'mon O ... you're smarter than that. And so are we.

0809_oprah_winfrey_through_footer

Firefly

I've lost all respect for Oprah when she pulled this stunt. The example she gives as a comparison between the Trayvon case and the Emmet Till case are so not alike it's unbelievable. She was just stirring up the race card again. And once again while promoting her movie.
`
~

While promoting her new movie, 'The Butler,' Oprah Winfrey compared the death of Trayvon Martin to the 1955 murder of 14-year-old Emmett Till, which helped ignite the civil rights movement.

'Trayvon Martin, parallel to Emmett Till,' Oprah told The Grio's Chris Witherspoon in a short clip of the interview that aired on MSNBC Monday. 'Let me just tell you, in my mind, same thing.

`

`

Till, from Chicago, was visiting relatives in Mississippi in August of 1955 when he spoke to a 21-year-old white woman, whom he was later accused of flirting with.

The woman's husband and his half-brother went to the house where Till was staying and beat him, gouged out one of his eyes and shot him in the head.

The men then disposed of his body by throwing it in the Tallahatchie River weighted down by a cotton gin.
~
Now does that sound like they have anything in common? So I really do think Oprah will do anything and say anything at this point to bring attention to her, her movie and her failing O Network. For example having a eight part docu-series on Lindsay Lohan. How desperate is that?

daved0622

I'm rich, powerful and fat, that store hurt my feelings, what should I do? CLAIM RACISM, that's what everyone does now.

Nikki

Oprah – The black Paula Deen.

Mumra the Ever Living

Hey TMZ, it's not "Obama", it's "President Obama", or "The President". Just because you don't like this particular Chief Executive, doesn't mean you don't show him the respect he, or any other President commands.

Livvie

She expected to be recognized and wasn't, that's what she's mad about. See here in the states she can go out dressed like she's homeless and people would still know who she is, she thought she could do that on Switzerland. So she wasn't able to buy and overpriced bag, poor her. RME

c

So, wait, did she lie about what happened? Even if it wasn’t about race the shop employee still sounds like a snotty little ****. If someone comes into your store and asks to see something you show it to them - you’re just a store clerk and it’s not your job to say if anyone can afford to buy an item. Unless Oprah is straight up lying about what happened I don’t think the employee is being unfairly criticized.

Kim

TMZ STFU, it was still racism no matter how you try to twist it, she did NOT call the name of the store, but you nosy Mfers are the ones that went hunting it out and exposing their racist a**ses, they admitted it and now that they are getting backlash they are tryiing to say it was not racism, STFU, it's bullsh*t, whether they knew it was Oprah or joe blow off the street, if the person ask to see the product you show the the product. PERIOD

kre

just because the shop said it was just a "misunderstanding" doesn't mean the clerk wasn't racist. This is a bias report from TMZ. Neither I nor TMZ was there to judge if it was racist or not. I believe what happen was racist, I live next to Swiss and I see how the African people are treated daily. TMZ thank yourself for garbage jornalism and stick to celebrity worship!

JA

Her butt be all hurt...and sh*t.

Marvin

Opra is a pig....oink

Toilethead

She's not as important as she thinks she is.

Dee Williamson

I can't stand Oprah, she thinks she is God's gift to the world !!!... I hate to break the news, but there are more important people in this world than her!!...JUST SAYING....

Shotokan500

What has Oprah done so important that she enjoys this royal status. She fing interviews people!!

Verde Sauce

Sorry, but isn't this the same site that stated the person who threw a banana at that african american baseball player should be publicly humiliated? And now, because it's Oprah, outing blatant racism is not ok? Come on guys. Racism is NOT ok. Doesn't matter who does it or who it's done to. Don't be part of the problem.

lalaluvu

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! I was so irritated by many of her statements last week...Oprah, you are not helping things. Thanks TMZ :)