Wentworth Miller

I'm Gay

Sticks It to Vladimir Putin

8/22/2013 9:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0821_wentworth_miller_article_getty
"Prison Break" star Wentworth Miller has just revealed he's a gay man ... in a statement that reads as a giant "F YOU" to Russia.

The 41-year-old actor fired off a letter to the director of the St. Petersburg International Film Festival -- rejecting its invitation for him to travel to the Motherland for the event ... and in the letter, WM went public about his sexuality for the first time.

"Thank you for your kind invitation. As someone who has enjoyed visiting Russia in the past and can also claim a degree of Russian ancestry, it would make me happy to say yes. However, as a gay man, I must decline."

Miller continues ... "I am deeply troubled by the current attitude toward and treatment of gay men and women by the Russian government."

0821-vladimir-putin-not-gay-tmz

"The situation is in no way acceptable, and I cannot in good conscience participate in a celebratory occasion hosted by a country where people like myself are being systematically denied their basic right to live and love openly."

He added, "If circumstances improve, I'll be free to make a different choice."

082113_prison_break_trailer_small_launch
082113_miller_popular_small_launch

0821_out_in_hollywood_footer

Joshua

Perez Hilton outed Wentworth Miller and fellow actor Luke MacFarlane back in 2007 when the photos of them together on a date came out. My gay friends have been waiting for the day when he would come out. Glad he finally did!

Ed

Holy crap!.....He's 41?

Metta Worldhate

WHO?!?

AngelPrincesss

Glad that he came out of "the closet" and is truly proud of who he is... That's really inspirational...

thinkfromabove

Labeling himself by how he has sex and throwing that into everyone's face... what an accomplishment...

hayazn

ruster disided not to sing so sun vil not come out in the morning and piple vil stay in the dark
< biqouse ruster ben mad at the piple >
the moral is
sun dase not know the ruster exist.

Toilethead

I think putin secretly takes it up the butt.

Grant MacDonald

Being left-handed … black or being gay is just as natural. It is a sometimes rare occurrence to fall in Love and to hold that person in your heart and be loved in return ... it is something that should be celebrated! If it’s between two guys or two girls -- all the better. It takes even more courage to defend that LOVE!

honesty

He came out to stand up for what he thought was right.I admire him, his integrity, and his courage.

Angelo

He's been out since 2007, so it's not that big of a deal that he says he's gay in the letter to Russia.

Bob

I usually have a pretty well tuned gaydar since one of my parents is gay, but this one threw me a curve. Well, good for him...but he just broke the hearts of several million women around the world, including my wife. She gasped when I told her.

Joe

His dad is African American and his mom is white.

Joe

Actually his dad is black and his mom is white.

Joe

Actually, his dad is black

Yunmi

I'll always support Wentworth Miller !!!!!