Wentworth Miller

I'm Gay

Sticks It to Vladimir Putin

8/22/2013 9:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0821_wentworth_miller_article_getty
"Prison Break" star Wentworth Miller has just revealed he's a gay man ... in a statement that reads as a giant "F YOU" to Russia.

The 41-year-old actor fired off a letter to the director of the St. Petersburg International Film Festival -- rejecting its invitation for him to travel to the Motherland for the event ... and in the letter, WM went public about his sexuality for the first time.

"Thank you for your kind invitation. As someone who has enjoyed visiting Russia in the past and can also claim a degree of Russian ancestry, it would make me happy to say yes. However, as a gay man, I must decline."

Miller continues ... "I am deeply troubled by the current attitude toward and treatment of gay men and women by the Russian government."

0821-vladimir-putin-not-gay-tmz

"The situation is in no way acceptable, and I cannot in good conscience participate in a celebratory occasion hosted by a country where people like myself are being systematically denied their basic right to live and love openly."

He added, "If circumstances improve, I'll be free to make a different choice."

082113_prison_break_trailer_small_launch
082113_miller_popular_small_launch

0821_out_in_hollywood_footer

KnuckleDragger

Homosexuality: Natures cure for overpopulation!

Kimberly

Putin is as gay as they come, under the heading of, "Thow doth protest too much"!!, or in his case "...hate too much"! Reminds me of Hitler with his Jewish bloodline.

judy w.

WOW! I'm shocked, hes so handsome, i always watch prison break, i thought he could get any woman he wanted, guess he can get any man he wants ! LOL

Kimberly

How is Waiting ALL this time and hiding an Inspiration to Anyone???? Sorry grew up through the sixties, watching Real Heroes taking it on the streets for freedoms, not hiding in Hollywood taking big fat checks and lying through your teeth, coward!!

Derek

There are people who are surprised by this announcement?

Vote2012

He should be thankful he lives in the USA we still have some freedom of speech left, but all the liberals do not understand as the radical Muslims take over this country with the help of our White House, that freedom of speech is quickly going away. Liberals always view this country as bad until they realize Hollywood will not exist, gays, rap music etc...all will be banned by radical Muslims. people better start waking up throughout this country before its too late.

NM156

Putin would have him for dinner and stick an ice pick in the back of his head. That pretty much sums up what Putin thinks about gay rights in Mother Russia.

max

good stay home no one wants your ass in russia anyway, youll probly start some pro gay activist crap in a place that you dont know and create chaos over your own problem STAY HOME LEAVE THE FILM FESTIVAL TO OPEN MINDED PEOPLE WHO ARE COMFORTABLE BEING GAY AND STILL GO , NOT CARING WHAT OTHERS THINK, YOURT IN THE CLOSET STICKING YOUR BONER IN A YOURSELF

USArmy

Sticks it to Putin? Did he enjoy it?

Tammy

I knew it, I had hoped I was wrong so I dream of a hook up but what can you do. I think he and Anderson Cooper would make a good couple. Good for him coming out and making a statement all in one shot.

Clytemnestra

Thank you, Wentworth, the world needs more men of principle like you standing up for what is right.

geo

Dude what wrong with a 'pink taco?'

teenie katz

Clearly from that photo, Putin is still pissed that his role in "Brokeback Mountain" ended up on the cutting room floor, and he's lashing out at all gay people. The world just wasn't ready for the Ledger-Gyllenhaal-Putin Throuple.

Socalpimp

any straights left?

tiffany helena

why does it have to be to get in the "lime light" or "who cares"....TMZ made news out of kayne smiling how about who gives a **** about that? I think it was great what he did...and him being gay years ago OH WHAAA! ...sucks for me bc I had such a shot, right??
go dude, mad respect!