Valerie Harper

'Dancing with the Stars'

Despite Terminal Brain Cancer

8/28/2013 10:02 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0828-valorie-harper-dwts-tmz
Valerie Harper
-- whom doctors gave three months to live back in March due to her terminal brain cancer -- hasn't just defied medicine by staying alive ... she's signed on to "Dancing with the Stars."

As we reported, 74-year-old Harper -- famous for playing the role of Rhoda on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" -- announced she had been diagnosed with leptomeningeal carcinomatosis, a rare form of cancer in which cancer cells spread into the membrane surrounding the brain.

Doctors gave her roughly until June to live ... but it's already August, and we've learned she's doing so well she is set to appear on the upcoming season of "Dancing," an extremely physically-demanding reality show.

We're told Valerie and her partner Tristan have already been practicing for two days, and she's surprisingly good. Our sources say she's completely self-sufficient and doesn't need any special assistance ... at least so far.

TMZ broke the story ... Leah Remini will also be on the next season, as well as Snooki, Elizabeth BerkleyAmber Riley from "Glee," and Christina Milian.

0828_dwts_winners_footer_v2

Visions of Fame

I hope her doctors are 100% OK with this physically demanding commitment. She could be dancing with disaster.

tori

Love Elizabeth Berkley,I'll definitely be watching this time!

Violette-Blue

Good for her. I will be watching the show again. I wonder who else is suppose to be on. Does anyone know?

Not So Ignorant

This will be inspiring.

lkelly816

Not a good idea to tax the immune system with the grueling "dancing with stars" schedule she'll have to endure. Bad decision IMO.

Jeems

I swore I wouldn't watch that show. But I am now. God bless and good luck. This lady is awesome

The New Improved Sock Puppet

My wife watches that show. I hate it. I promise you if Valerie Harper makes it halfway through the show they'll have the once a show "medical emergency" where we see her taken away by ambulance but she returns to the stage to "tough it out" and get major points. Trust me on this one. Good luck to you Valerie, but I'm kind of on the side of the people wondering why you put yourself in this company. Other than that I hope you do real well.

Manda

On one hand good for her. On the other I really hate it when past stars get a terminal illness and then use it to make themselves relevant again. I more applaud the ones who maintain their privacy and dignity instead of using a sympathy ploy for one last burst of attention.

sophiastormy

Can you say ratings ploy??

Ann

You go, Rhoda!!!

Curt

Rhoda vs Nomi Malone/Jessie Spano!

Sassyfre

Why does Tristan always get the older ladies while mark ballas and drek get the young vibrant ladies.

Ummmmm

so she should sit home and wait for the reeper to come? Let her dance if she feels good ages 74i m sure it's not for attention how much have you heard from her the past decade

Mr. C

She's an incredible dancer, or at least she once was. Cut that rug, Rho.

Francie

Oh boy, I do like her, but now we all know who is going to win, by the sympathy vote, would hate to be a contestant knowing the outcome. Hope she can dance at least.