Zac Efron

2 Rehab Stints This Year

9/19/2013 9:20 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0918_zac_efron_getty
Zac Efron
has done rehab for cocaine addiction not once this year, but twice, after a major relapse ... TMZ has learned.

Sources familiar with the situation tell TMZ ... Zac has been doing cocaine for more than 2 years -- he was also into Molly.  He tried to clean himself up in March by getting professional help.  We're told he left California and stayed in a private residence where he received intensive outpatient care for several weeks.

In April he returned to L.A. and began shooting Seth Rogen's film "Neighbors."  During the shoot Zac relapsed in a big way.  TMZ broke the story ... Zac was not showing up on the set and it was common knowledge he was using again.

Our sources say after the film wrapped up he got a second dose of outpatient care.

As for how Zac plunged into the depths of coke, we're told there are 4 reasons:

-- Zac has significant issues with his parents, who are still trying to control his life and decision-making.

-- Zac is upset about his movie career, which was once white hot but after "High School Musical" he hasn't had real success.

-- Zac has "girl issues" ...  although we're told it has nothing to do with his break-up with Vanessa Hudgens.  That, our sources say, is ancient history for both.

-- Zac had been hanging around with "a bad group of friends" who introduced him to the world of cocaine.  We're told Zac has 86'd most of them from his life in the last few months.

0917_zac_efron_through_footer_v4

randy

What's pathetic is how this site reports drama. BAD GROUP OF PEOPLE. The thing is Zac has a hard time making proper choices and it isn't because of Hollywood. Many of the parents use their children to get what they want and when a child becomes an adult they aren't properly prepared because they were never taught. Then the whole world judges them an dthey simply are not equipped to make the right choices. They continue to surround themselves with takes just like the parents are. It's a hard thing to face reality with.

John

Hope he doesn't become another Hollywood tragedy. Couldn't bear that. Coke and sex....but what kind?

Laine

I have to say, I'm pretty impressed that he just got help and didn't publicize it for attention. Unlike what TMZ is doing with this story.

duilama

Zaqc has to count his blessing in a lot of ways. One of them is that he had never met Michael Jackson while he was under 15. Otherwise he would have been invited to his bed (and of course molested)!!!

RUKidding

You know I was thinking about him last night. I was mad as I was thinking. Why? Because I see this young man who has so much going, and getting into this. I've seen way too many young actors wreck their life with drugs. Why do they even pick it up and put it in them? That is what I don't get? I could mention two that I know of, one was such a good looking actor who used in this case meth, and it took him down such a bad road, that it changed his looks and killed him. I won't say his name it was probably back in the late eighties or early nineties, but it really made him disappear and seeing the picture of him after the meth, I'll never forget, he was very handsome actor. Another just recently Cory from Glee, River Phoenix and more. This has to stop and the people who are supplying them are no friends. If Zac has trouble it is time for him to distance himself like he says he did in the article and as for his parents, he has enough money, get a house on your own and get better help. Sad, I do not want to see a tragic ending to this young man. PS. I saw your movies I liked them, I'm no teen trust me. Good Luck, don't end up in a bad way, use your common sense, I know you have it.

TheMarshmallowMan

Hes probably suffocating in that closet

Nico

He is going to end like the Glee guy.

gbtw

does "girl issues" mean, denial about sexuality? it's 2013 for fecks' sake. no need to be in closets, zac.

carlos

Really who cares..i don't really know who this is anyways.....AND!! why do this 'secrets' get released when a new movie is coming out. I'm started to think this is all fake controversy to promote movies.
1. christian bale family claim battery before Batman release
2.bruno mars 'arrested' in vegas,promotes new single that goes to #1 the next week
to be continued..............

Rocko

Get better Zac ! Get better !!

August

Where was the 12-Step religious AA/NA cult's "HIGHER POWER" he paid $50,000 for?

August

The 12-Step religious AA/NA cult Treatment Industry's "HIGHER POWER" nonsense FAILS EVERYONE.

Amber Olson

Drug use has become a normal thing with celebrities like Corey from glee, eminem, oozy, Lamar, Lindsay lohan, Amy whine house, M Jackson and the list goes on and on. It's a very sad situation because most end up dead. I hope he gets the help he needs and takes it serious.

Sephiroth

No sympathy for someone stupid enough to take drugs. You know they're just gonna mess you up, why be such a facking idiot?!?!?!?!?!?!

Vince

What is the big deal with yet another hollywood drug addict. These self absorbed pampered idiots think they can do anything. Well he will be a memory soon enough...the inevitable self inflicted stupidity in the form of an overdose is sure to be coming to a TMZ near you soon....And after a few days,.....who will really miss him?