« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

President Obama

Redskins Name is Offensive

... I'd Probably Change It

10/5/2013 9:05 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1005_obama_redskins_getty
Congress might be shut down ... but President Barack Obama found time to dive into the debate over the Washington Redskins name -- telling a reporter he would "think about changing" the team name because it offends people.

The Prez was asked about the issues renewed controversy over the past few months ... and proclaimed nostalgia isn't a good enough reason to keep the name.

Saying if he were team owner ... there'd be serious discussion about changing it.

However, Barack doesn't think fans of the name are being racist -- they're just passionate for team history.

Obama joins a growing movement of people once again pushing for the change -- including NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

Name change or not ... the Redskins still suck this season.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

mousetrap

Speaking of names, I'll tell you what is really offensive. A United States president named Barack Hussein Obama. Now that is offensive. Forget the name of a sports team.

eqquesz

It's getting to be TAX Time for the REPUBLICAN's and there is a lot of heat on there posts- I am going in further.

Dean

Obama needs to stick to what he does well... taking vacations. Everything is going to offend someone. In fact, I will go on record as saying that the Cleveland Browns offend me because it is clearly racist. They need to change it to something less offensive.... like the Cleveland Gender-and-Racial-Neutrals. Go on, Mr. President! make 'em do it! I'm OFFENDED!

blockboy970

I was told do not speak to fools they scorn the wisdom of ya words..on that note I'm out.

Carl Fredricksen

Who gives a sh!t what obama thinks!!
GET BACK TO WORK!!! DO SOMETHING!!!

Scooter

The Obama name offends me. I think he should explore changing it.

USArmy

On the wrong side of another issue as usual.

bobgnote

Excuse meh, but any pigment our human skins actually contain is RED, in color. Since Obama and Katt Williams are both idiots, let's elect Eddie Murphy and/or Eddie Griffin or at least quote them, not those latter-day tardy-boys, who can't get a clue or do homework, without a lot of crack-smoking, first.

Jenny

I find Barry's middle name offensive - I think he should change it.

Mark

Barry Hussein is such an empty suit. Go back to the golf course where you can't cause trouble.

paulscottabbott

Let's call 'em the Burgundy Dermis... You prefer that, Obama? Cherokees say butt out Bama

Joboo

I find Obama offensive. I think HE should be changed.

blue eye killa

look at allthe lil dick satan worshiping crakaz wanna dictate whatsoffense to every other race they have butchered and stole from

ObamasLickumTaintTribe

ODownLow is a destructive, Christophobic, RACIST, anti-American Tyrant. He and his Fascist Tribe need to STFU & GTFO!

While the BoyKing rants and raves ABOUT NOTHING, America is held h0stage and ruined!

Brite

This team has been called this name forever, it was no problem. Now all of a sudden it is? I call my native friends yellow and they do not take any offence, they have told me how much they love me. I do not call them yellow as an insult and they know that. It is just simply the fact of my discription, they in turn call me by my discription. No Problem unless someone chooses to make it a problem.
I would think Mr. Prez has bigger fish to fry right now other than to race bait :)