Elizabeth Vargas

In Rehab

For Alcohol Abuse

11/6/2013 2:09 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1106_elizabeth-vargas_getty
20/20” co-anchor Elizabeth Vargas has been MIA for weeks ... and now we know why -- she's been in rehab for alcohol abuse.

Vargas checked into rehab a couple weeks ago -- according to the NY Daily News -- and will remain in treatment for a few weeks more. She'll return to "20/20" when she's released from the rehab facility.

Vargas released a statement saying she suffers from addiction, claiming, "I realized I was becoming increasingly dependent on alcohol. And I feel fortunate to have recognized it for the problem it was becoming."

She adds, "Like so many others, I will deal with this challenge one day at a time."

ABC says it fully supports her and looks forward to welcoming Vargas back.

Celeb Gossip Addict

Good for her. At least she is getting treatment. No judgement here.

stu

i'll drink to that!

freaksloan

She couldn't handle carrying the bottle for Obama anymore, so she turned to the bottle.

TippyToeLA

Admitting it, especially when you're such a public figure in the media, where everyone is expected to be squeaky-clean & perfect nonetheless, takes a lot of guts & this is definitely a step in the right direction. Pulling for ya, Elizabeth!

Your S&M Girlfriend

Good for her. She's a professional and those are getting harder and harder to find. I wish her the best. I also hope she gains a few pounds because she was way too thin. Hoping to see you clean and sober and feeling great soon, Elizabeth.

static

I guess drinking was her way if dealing with the dishonest hit pieces they do on that show.

Truth

DOESNT THIS ADDICT JUST READ OFF THE TELEPROMPTER??? MEHHH... SH*T DRIVES ANY1 TO ALCOHOLIC ADDICTION. MUST BE WEAK MINDED WHEN U CANT STAY AWAY FROM BARS AND CLUBS. #TRUTH!!

WTF

Everyone has some skeletons in the closet. I would never thought of her as someone who abuses alcohol. I hope she gets better and healthy.

bring back recent posts

...best wishes!!!!!....I like her as a reporter..

Abe

When she goes back to the show, they should change the name from 20/20 to 80 Proof.

Colonel Nudge

she just needs a good drilin'

Mel

1/3 of people with alcohol abuse issues are women and wine is the preferred choice. Good for her to admitting it and getting help. Most don't.

david 183

Nice to hear she is getting help. Now tell us about the guy from Tmz who is also out for his addiction. The white guy with the long hair hat is. Let's here that. Not sure if she even should be on this site. Being that she is not an actor,singer or athlete. I guess no more Lamar or Kardashian stories.

anne10

I hope she recovers soon and returns to 20/20. And to those who are making snide comments about her---you should be ashamed. It could happen to many of you.

CathyJ