Elizabeth Vargas

In Rehab

For Alcohol Abuse

11/6/2013 2:09 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1106_elizabeth-vargas_getty
20/20” co-anchor Elizabeth Vargas has been MIA for weeks ... and now we know why -- she's been in rehab for alcohol abuse.

Vargas checked into rehab a couple weeks ago -- according to the NY Daily News -- and will remain in treatment for a few weeks more. She'll return to "20/20" when she's released from the rehab facility.

Vargas released a statement saying she suffers from addiction, claiming, "I realized I was becoming increasingly dependent on alcohol. And I feel fortunate to have recognized it for the problem it was becoming."

She adds, "Like so many others, I will deal with this challenge one day at a time."

ABC says it fully supports her and looks forward to welcoming Vargas back.

tripod

I use to drink until I passed out all the time. It was an awful way to live. I quit several years ago because I was tired of living like that - it took me along time to realize that it was poison to me. I wish her all the best.

Cat

I find it amusing how those on GMA keep the lips zipped when one of their own have a problem, otherwise they are like flies on a **** wagon talking about everyone else...

Bu

I hope she gets better soon!

Mark

Sad... I remember "Beth" Vargas as a sweet, young 10-year old, when I was 11. Both of our Dads were military officers stationed in Germany... (My Mom apparently thought she and I would be a good match...) Prayers for a full recovery...

alex

good for her to recognise her problems. addiction is a painful disease which involves families and so many more. good for her to address this serious problem and give sobriety a chance.

Spartan100

OMG!

Jay

I don't understand why people even drink to begin with. It's a waste of money and nothing good ever comes from it. I never drank when I used to go out dancing, ever. Don't buy it so then you don't have it in your home, don't drink when you go out. I don't get why people even do, for what reason? To "join" the fool crowd? To get sloshed, make a fool of yourself, cause yourself health problems, waste money? Get over the alcohol people, it's the last thing that's necessary!

King

She gazed into the crystal ball and saw Barbara Walters' grinning skull looking back.

Gigi

Sending lots of good wishes her way!

Elle-Vee

Elizabeth, you are a great journalist, and I wish you every success in your recovery. God Bless.

SDnRnRoll

It's probably really pills.

Petite

She's 51 yrs old, she looks great for her age...I doubt that alcohol is her issue.

bert

You can and will beat this. : )

ladydiinpa

no...no...always admired her; always looks good & good confident news reporter--oh well guess u never know..wish her much success....

Pouncekitty

Of course she drinks! She's an Obama liberal, full of lies, hypocrisy, a false narrative, dishonesty and unfairness. No wonder she's a drunk! Most Obama shills carry the heavy burden of extremely bad karma.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3