Shirley Mitchell

Last Surviving 'I Love Lucy' Castmember

DEAD At 94

11/13/2013 2:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1113_shirley_mitchell_i_love_lucy_dead_article_cbs_swipe
Shirley Mitchel
l, the actress who played Marion Strong, Lucy Ricardo's cackling friend on "I Love Lucy" has died.

Mitchell is the last-surviving adult castmember.  She died at age 94 of heart failure in her Westwood condo.

Marion Strong has this distinction -- she set up Lucy and Ricky on their first date.

Mitchell was no stranger to sitcoms.  She also appeared on the hit show, "Bachelor Father," playing John Forsythe's secretary.

Mitchell also played Opal Clampett on "The Beverly Hillbillies."  She also appeared on "Petticoat Junction."

Mitchell was married to pop composer Jay Livingston, who co-wrote "Mona Lisa," and won an Oscar for best song.

111313_shirley_mitchell_launch 1113_shirley_mitchell_remembering_footer

my 2 cents

I'll throw this out here. Barbara Eden as Diana, the country club hussey, is sill alive !

Jim

As I read this news, I found myself smiling for all the good memories that ALL of the cast of I Love Lucy brought to so many over the years. RIP Marion. Your laugh was amazing.

ratched

I remember when we were kids and everyone I knew thought Ethel was considered a bit frumpy and dumpy, if not outright chubby. What I wouldn't give to have that figure now, lol.

EM

People, Little Ricky would not qualify as last serviving adult actor. If your going to complain, at least read thearticle fully...yeesh

namers

One of Lucy's frenemies; her and Carolyn Appleby. RIP.

EM

People complaining about Little Ricky,he would not qualify as an ADULT castmember.
Rest in peace Miss Mitchell. Condolences to family, friends and fans.

DBL

sorry but she is not the last surviving living cast member, Keith Thibodeaux who played little Ricky is still alive.

fortune cookie

She was such a glamorous Lady. Rest in Peace, Pretty Lady.

Doug Bass

What about little Ricky morons? Richard Keith is ALIVE!!

King

She was good in Bachelor Father, the only tee vee series to ever run on all three networks. It also featured some incredibly beautiful starlets, much hotter than the coarse, ordinary trash haunting the medium today.

joenpfl

SIT COM MAKERS TAKE NOTE.. RECIPE FOR A LASTING SHOW.. 4 GROWN ADULTS.. NO EFFING KIDS...OR VERY VERY LITTLE.. EXAMPLES.. HONEYMOONERS , I LOVE LUCY, STAR TREK, BEWITCHED, GILLIGANS ISLAND, CHEERS, EVERYBODY LOVES RAY, GOLDEN GIRLS ,ETC ETC ETC.... ALL THESE SITCOMS LASTED CUZ IT WAS ADULT SITUATIONS.. MONEY.. MARRIAGE.. ADULT CONFLICT.. THATS THE RECIPE.. DAMN BAD HOLLYWOOD WRITERS

TorontoMark

uhmmm Barbara Eden was an adult actress in I love Lucy and is alive and kicking

bonnie bell

So sad that within my grandparents life timet.v was invented for innocent entertainment. Now it has gone to hell in a hand basket! mourn technology crap to wicked.

Woot

Aww... most of you (I assume) youngsters here won't be fazed by this passing, but I remember sitting in front of the tv when I was a kid watching these black and whites in the 60s and loving them. And my parents watched them when they were first married. Good memories. :o) Rest in peace to all the I Love Lucy cast members and all those great actors who gave us such fantastic memories in that great age of television.

Theresa

Oh , Miss Shirley... So many memories watching with my Grandmother. Miss you both.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments