« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Jim Brown

Kobe Broke Black Code

Doesn't Get African-American Culture

12/11/2013 8:11 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

NFL legend Jim Brown -- one of the most outspoken leaders in the civil rights movement -- says Kobe Bryant not only betrayed Shaq, but African-American men in general ... and it all stems from the rape investigation in Colorado.

Brown appeared on the Arsenio Hall show and went right after Kobe -- saying, "He threw Shaq under the bus" ... referring to when Kobe told investigators Shaq would pay up to $1 million to women to keep them quiet about "situations like this" back in 2003.

Shaq patched things up with Kobe publicly, but Brown is clearly still upset by the situation -- essentially telling Arsenio that it's hard enough for a black man in America, without having to worry about being dimed out by another black man.

"[Kobe] is somewhat confused about culture, 'cause he was brought up in another country ... so it doesn't quite fit what's going on here in America."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

James420

And here's a thought, instead of criticising kobe for how he handled the rape accusation, how about criticise him for creating on his wife in the first place. Doesn't matter if it was consensual or not, a married man should not have been in that situation, period.

nujerz

Most of these comments not surprisingly made but white folks.. Jim Brown is spot on, Kobe did a bitch move by mentioning Shaq.

mommyto1

It's stupid comments like this that keep racism alive. Quit focusing on a damn color!

Whocares

Maybe there should be a daily check list for all the black folks. Sheesh! What's wrong with just being yourself without someone who doesn't know even know you placing judgement on your character. I'm glad I don't have to worry abt what other people who don't know me think about me

Whocares

Every celebrity that's out there has to deal with this on a daily basis of what's called temptation. Most of these women are nothing but gold diggers. They could care less what happens to you as long as they can get your money that they had nothing to do with. Women r so messed up these days. None of them want to work they only want to take what's not theirs by making accusations and taking u men to court to try and take what took us a life time to make and now they think they deserve half or all of it. It makes me sick to my stomach.

Kristinajp

Unless you were born in Africa you have no reason to call yourself African American. I don't see Russian American on all my form s I have to fill out. If you were born in the US you are like me AMERICAN period. Stop letting these elite people use you for your votes. Since when has welfare made you successful, wealthy and feel good about yourself. I used credit cards in the 90 to start my business and became very successful. 6 yrs ago I got cancer and thing went downhill. Nothing beats the taste of success, not even chocolate eclairs!

Kevin

Kobe broke the GUY code........not the BLACK code.

Geno

Who knew Jim Brown was still alive? In fact, who cares?

Jim Deen

How can we get passed race when black people bring it up at every opportunity?

Carriejane

Cause paying women to cover up being raped or to be the "other" woman is a black thing ? I'm confused...

Unbroken Chain

At least it got Shaq traded to Miami where he helped them get their first championship:)

Compassion

I love basketball. True to my soul. Therefore I have to like Kobe as he is a truly great player. But something happened to him. He has lost something as a person. He is not kind. He is entitled. I know several past lakers who cannot stand the guy. And he has had many years to repair things, with not only shaq, but other people. He just doesn't care.

Spanky

You cant blame others for your own actions. This man is wrong to make it about race.

Unbroken Chain

Gotta love Jim Brown. He just says what he wants and doesn't care. After all he is Jim F-ing Brown!! He fear s noone

STAYCLASSYSANDIEGO

Dimed out? By paying off rape victims? Gtfo jim brown.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments