Russell Johnson

Professor From Gilligan's Island

Dead at 89

1/16/2014 2:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0116-Russell-Johnson-gilligans-island

The actor who played the Professor in "Gilligan's Island" has died ... TMZ has learned.

Russell Johnson, who played Professor Roy Hinkley, died of natural causes at his home in Washington.

Dawn Wells, who played Mary Ann, just posted on Facebook, "My 2 favorite people are now gone.  The professor past (sic) away this morning.  My heart is broken."

The other person who died is Bob Denver, who played Gilligan.  He died in 2005.

Johnson was on the show from 1964 to 1967.   Johnson was not in the original opening of the show.  He and Mary Ann were referred to as "The rest."  But Denver insisted that they be included and that happened later.

011614_gilligans_island_theme_launch
Wells went on:  "Russell was a true gentleman, a good father, a great friend, and 'the rest.'"

Johnson was married -- this was his third wife.  He passed away in hospice, surrounded by his wife and 2 kids.

Johnson was 89.

The only surviving members of the original cast are Mary Ann and Ginger, played by Tina Louise.

011614_profesor_schools_launch

0116_russell_johnson_remembering_footer

Hotter

Fair winds . Mr. Johnson. Thank you for such wonderful childhood memories. Thank you for your combat service in WWII Bless your family

quilligan

He was my favorite in the show. He was a bamboo MacGyver .

thesby

he was a great actor and comedian and helped make gillian's island a highly watched tv show!russell will be surly deeply missed!R.I.P. Russel

ACarroll

RIP Professor

bjay

I so loved the professer. RIP and thanks for some great tv memories.

thesby

russell was married to a 32 year old woman.how did this happen.he was old enough to be her grandfather. russell made gillian's island a highed rated tv comedy series show!i missed seeing him act!R.I.P. Russell Johnson!

ALAN MEIER

RUSSELL JOHNSON YOU MADE GILLIGAN'S ISLAND ONE OF THE FUNNEST SHOW IN THE 1960...'S TV LAND HAS A 9 AM TO 9 PM MONDAY ALL DAY LONG PLUS ME-TV 8 PM AND 830 PM MONDAY THUR THURSDAY SUNDAY MORNING TO 11 AM AND 1130 AM GOING TO MISS YOU GOD BLESS YOU FOR MAKING ME LAUGH EVERY NIGHT

d

Great man! I will always remember watching Gilligan's Island right after dinner time growing up in the 60's

boricuasexygata

R.I.P professor... My condolences to all his love ones...

Fred

Now I really feel old - how many wonderful hours did I spend watching this wacky show. I just hope they show reruns in Heaven. Thank you to the entire cast for so much fun.

Fred

Now I really feel old - how many wonderful hours did I spend with this wacky show? Thank you to the entire cast for so much fun!!!

Pillsbury Pancakes

Jesus loved him, everyone else thought he was a douchebag.

Hal Heilostein

I always wondered, hoped I guess is better word that all the time they were on that island the Professor was boffin little Mary Ann---which is why they never got of---he didn't want to leave?.......LOL

Gustav LaFong

When I was a kid, he was the first character I saw who was "nerdy cool".

The Zombie

Rest in peace, sir, and thanks for the laughs.