Russell Johnson

Professor From Gilligan's Island

Dead at 89

1/16/2014 2:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0116-Russell-Johnson-gilligans-island

The actor who played the Professor in "Gilligan's Island" has died ... TMZ has learned.

Russell Johnson, who played Professor Roy Hinkley, died of natural causes at his home in Washington.

Dawn Wells, who played Mary Ann, just posted on Facebook, "My 2 favorite people are now gone.  The professor past (sic) away this morning.  My heart is broken."

The other person who died is Bob Denver, who played Gilligan.  He died in 2005.

Johnson was on the show from 1964 to 1967.   Johnson was not in the original opening of the show.  He and Mary Ann were referred to as "The rest."  But Denver insisted that they be included and that happened later.

011614_gilligans_island_theme_launch
Wells went on:  "Russell was a true gentleman, a good father, a great friend, and 'the rest.'"

Johnson was married -- this was his third wife.  He passed away in hospice, surrounded by his wife and 2 kids.

Johnson was 89.

The only surviving members of the original cast are Mary Ann and Ginger, played by Tina Louise.

011614_profesor_schools_launch

0116_russell_johnson_remembering_footer

TMZCrazy

He was a good man. Thanks, TMZ, for sharing this news with us.

Southpaw

Another good show from the '60...'s. I loved how they always had "stuff" even though they were stranded. RIP Professor.

I'm mildly interested

R.I.P.

jimh753

Another part of my childhood is gone, I am really starting to feel old..... RIP Professor, it was always fun watching Gilligan's Island.

bernamarone

i liek the theme song

Roc R

I was just on IMDB last night to see if Russel was still alive, how ironic. I liked professor a lot, he was a brilliant actor, love ya Russel, thanks for the wonderful memories.

Patooti

Tina Louise still looks smokin' hot!

Celeb Gossip Addict

R.I.P. Professor. You were easily the hottest guy on the island. :(

Aaron

aww man another icon of the golden age of film and tv is gone.i grew up on reruns of Gilligan's island the professor was my favorite.he was so cool he could build anything out of cocoanuts.R.I.P Russell Johnson A.K.A The Professor.

August

I always wanted to live on Gilligan's Island....RIP Professor.

Eric in L.A.

Loved him in the Twilight Zone.

Vic Creed

RIp Professor.

Moe Greene

This guy was one hell of a nice guy. We used to call him "Big Russ" in the men's bathhouses up in San Fran. He used to love throwing a bar of soap on the floor, then the towel snapping would really begin! Big Russ would just laugh and laugh! R.I.P. Big Russ.

verlinda

R.I.P. Professor....thanks for the laughs

Eric in L.A.

Loved him in the Twilight Zone.