Russell Johnson

Professor From Gilligan's Island

Dead at 89

1/16/2014 2:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0116-Russell-Johnson-gilligans-island

The actor who played the Professor in "Gilligan's Island" has died ... TMZ has learned.

Russell Johnson, who played Professor Roy Hinkley, died of natural causes at his home in Washington.

Dawn Wells, who played Mary Ann, just posted on Facebook, "My 2 favorite people are now gone.  The professor past (sic) away this morning.  My heart is broken."

The other person who died is Bob Denver, who played Gilligan.  He died in 2005.

Johnson was on the show from 1964 to 1967.   Johnson was not in the original opening of the show.  He and Mary Ann were referred to as "The rest."  But Denver insisted that they be included and that happened later.

011614_gilligans_island_theme_launch
Wells went on:  "Russell was a true gentleman, a good father, a great friend, and 'the rest.'"

Johnson was married -- this was his third wife.  He passed away in hospice, surrounded by his wife and 2 kids.

Johnson was 89.

The only surviving members of the original cast are Mary Ann and Ginger, played by Tina Louise.

011614_profesor_schools_launch

0116_russell_johnson_remembering_footer

Steve

I loved that show, It was one of my fav.
The care givers should have brought him some coconuts, He of all people could have figured out how to save himself. Maybe a coconut elixer. RIP Professor, You are truly missed along with the others.

Belgrade66

Gilligans island was a truly silly and wacky show but it was also an improbable success. When I first moved to the USA, it was the way I learned to speak english (for better or worse)

I guess wrongway Feldman and his bi-plane finally made it back to the island, he has picked up the professor, destination: the pearly gates.

RIP good professor

Maria not Nicky

SUCKS GETTING OLD!

Brenda

R. I. P. Mr Johnson. My thoughts and prayers are with the family.

Van

I was 14 when I first saw this program........I loved it. We had just gotten back from Cyprus where they started a war in our neighborhood and we were evacuated. I liked the Skipper and Gilligan best, then spent 26 years in the Navy. Skipper was what we would call a TWIDGET. Great guy.

Lisa Green

always had a crush on him-loved Gilligan's Island-he was a very handsome man! Never knew his name on the show-just *The Professor*....RIP

lonestarlady36

rest in peace, professor.

manbearpig

so long professor!

Jackie Butler

TV Land is airing the first episode right now, so sad. I always liked the Professor. RIP Russell Johnson!

Tammy

RIP Professor. Thanks for the laughs growing up. I had quite the crush on you :)

john johnson

r.i.p. friend

MadCharles

He flew 46 missions during WW II until his plane was shot down.

Red Sam Rackham

Years ago Russell johnson was asked how as Professor he could build huts & furniture but couldn't fix a hole in a boat. He replied "If you were on an island with Ginger and Maryanne, would you want to fix the boat?"

DrTyrell

What a great man. Did some awesome Twilight Zones too!

pacolts

growing up i loved this show and watched it over and over. love all the cast but being a young boy(at the time) i still loved maryann and ginger. love you all...thanks for the memories to you all!!!!! i hope when it's my time i end up on the island with you. i'm pretty sure professer can figure out how to make booze from coconuts. maybe i can get maryann and ginger drunk!!! lol love all of you!!!!!!!!!