Philip Seymour Hoffman

DEAD of Apparent Heroin OD

Needle Found in Arm

2/2/2014 6:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0202_psh_splashPhilip Seymour Hoffman was found dead Sunday in a New York City apartment of an apparent drug overdose ... TMZ has learned authorities found a needle in his arm.

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ ... the actor was found Sunday morning inside a Greenwich apartment ... and they're still on scene investigating.

Our sources say ... Hoffman was found in his bathroom in his boxer shorts, with a needle sticking out of his left arm.  We're told police found 10 glassine envelopes -- 2 of the envelopes had heroin ... the others presumably were empty.

One of the envelopes had "Ace of Spades" written on it, and another had an ace of hearts symbol -- such symbols and words are often markers from people who make heroin -- to brand it.

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ ...  Hoffman was supposed to pick up his kids at 9 AM Sunday but didn't show -- which was unusual for him.  A playwright and a friend became concerned, came over and found the actor alone in the apartment.

0202_APARTMENT_TMZ_WM_SPLITDetails surrounding his death are unclear ... but the actor had struggled with drug problems ... most recently checking himself into a rehab facility for heroin back in May.

TMZ broke the story of Hoffman going to rehab.  We were told he did it as a preventative measure because he was getting close to a major relapse.  A source involved in Hoffman's treatment now tells TMZ ... the actor said at the time he was on the brink of becoming a heroin IV user and wanted to nip it in the bud before that happened.

As we previously reported ... Hoffman had been clean for 23 years but fell off the wagon in 2012.

It appears Hoffman's last interview was at the Sundance Film Festival with XiXi Yang from PopStopTV for his movie "A Wanted Man."

020214_seymour_hoffman_interview_launch
Hoffman's family released a statement saying, "We are devastated by the loss of our beloved Phil and appreciate the outpouring of love and support."

Law enforcement sources tell us his autopsy will take place Monday.

0202_rememberingphilip-seymour-hoffman_launch

Mikey

I'm a famous actor who's made millions, this sh!t can't hurt me...............

Ladygoodman

God damn it. Heroin has taken so many great and talented people. Needle and the damage done every junky is like the setting sun. So sad and a waist.

Calico

How very sad - RIP Philip.
I loved your acting and you had so much more to give . What a shame.

david 183

Addiction is a nightmare. Possible to overcome but a daily struggle. I have seen many people deal with this issue and it is truely sad to see. May he finally rest in peace.

Chris

I had him in my death pool....not very surprising. Dude was a well known heroin addict

August

Where was the 12-Step religious AA/NA cult's "HIGHER POWER"; that DOORKNOB in his luxury apartment DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

Mikey

If he had a bet on the Super Bowl game this could end up being good or bad for him depending on who wins.

WinterIsComing

Noooooo!

CANDICE_L

Truly sad. He was a legend

CarJo

I don't get why people turn to drugs. I can't stand the feeling of even being drunk. What makes a person even try drugs? All these celebrities that die of drugs - what a waste. I always feel bad and really do wish I could have known them and been a real friend to them and shown them real friendship and love.

bourbs

This makes me so sad, and so mad. Such a damn waste of a talented actor, again lost to drugs!!! He was one of my favorites.

EastCoastChopper

Rip Phillip - One of the real actors - not a mimic 'er like so many.

On this issue of heroin - the reason you never try heroin is because you will more than likely - love it.

Mikey

Fentanyl-laced heroin is killing people left and right, Stupid bastard.

helmuth

Fentanyl.

TheMoosiah

I'll miss your work Phil, I hope you are at peace.