Shirley Temple Black

Dies at 85

2/11/2014 3:20 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0211-shirley-temple-03
Shirley Temple Black -- arguably the most famous child star ever -- has died.

Black passed away at her home in Woodside, California from natural causes.

She was an enormous star in her heyday.  She began her acting career at 3 and her singing and dancing was irresistible. Her most famous song, "On the Good Ship Lollipop" riveted audiences.

021114_shirley_temple_launch
Her movies were must-sees in the 30s -- especially "Bright Eyes," "Stand Up and Cheer" and "Curly
Top."

She was so popular a drink was named after her, and kids copied her curly haircut the way people copied Farrah Fawcett's decades later.

In 1934, she was given a miniature Oscar for her work.

Black hung up the acting towel at 21 -- back in 1950 -- and after a break she returned to the public eye by throwing her hat in the political arena ... running for Congress as a Republican.

She became a U.S. diplomat ... serving as U.S. ambassador to Ghana and Czechoslovakia.

She married her first husband at 17, but it didn't last.  Her second marriage to Charles Black endured.

Black's family and caregivers were with her when she died.

The family said, "We salute her for a life of remarkable achievements as an actor, as a diplomat, and most importantly as our beloved mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, and adored wife for 55 years of the late and much missed Charles Alden Black."

021114_shirley_temple_animals_launch

021114_shirley_temple_bright_eyes_launch

0211_shirley_temple_photos_remembering_footer_v3

tmz_diva

she was a beautiful person. so talented. may she Rip. condolences to her family and friends.

cindy

I am so sorry to hear about Shirley Temple Black' death. I have been a fan for-ever. My thoughts & prayers go to her family. We have truly lost a great Star & a true American. Thank you .. for all that you gave to us & the world.

cindy creech

Janet BeCraft

Shirley Temple Black was a wonderful actress, dancer and a singer. She will be sadly missed. My mom grew up watching her on TV before I was born. RIP Shirley Temple Black (4/23/28-2/10/14)

Sheryl Harrison

Always a pleasure! Thanks for making me smile, you will not be forgotten!!

Joh San Juan

She was the youngest actress in the modern times. I missed her a lot.

King Quic

Stars die in 3's Shirley Temple star number 2. So sad RIP, Gone but never forgotten.

PureRadiance

R.I.P. Shirley Temple.

Mr Barcliff

A Child star who didnt fall prey to Hollywood, wish people like her could have mentored those who fell on hard times. She was before my time but, the reruns of her movies have stood the test of time. My deepest sympathies go out to those in her family as well as her friends who truly knew and loved her personally!!!! LGNM

boo boo

She and Bill (Bojangles) Robinson had the first on-screen inter-racial dance number together and they SET THAT STAIRCASE ON FIRE WITH TAP SHOES!!!!! Beaver wishes he could pull of dancing that skillfully - totally awesome.

Shannon

RIP

Jody

This women was truly amazing. I'm 40 years old and have wonderful memories of watching her sing and dance with my dad. I wanted to be just like her. We would watch her movies over and over again. Thank you Shirley Temple for all of the memories. RIP

Sylvia J.

My all time favourite was "Little Miss Marker".

TMZFan84

RIP

James

she was loved by all,and will be missed ,her movies were the best. rest in peace shirley! Its been yrs since Ive seen her movies I think I will watch a few to bring back some old memories...much love,JD

boricuasexygata

RIP Shirley Temple... U will truly b missed... Ur movies was off the hook... U had such a powerful talent... I will never forget u ...