« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Jamaican Bobsled Team

Watermelon Helmets?

Watermelon Helmets.

2/17/2014 8:18 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0217_jamaica_watermelon_helmets_sochi_olympics_launch_v3File This Under: "Questionable Decision Making" ... but the Jamaican Bobsled Team competed over the weekend wearing helmets that looked like watermelons.

Of course, in the U.S. ... there's a well-known stereotype about black people and watermelon -- but in fact, it's not really a "thing" in Jamaica.

Still, a little weird to see a team consisting entirely of black people wearing helmets that look like watermelon.

As one Jamaican source put it ... "I don't know about any stereotype ... all I know is we eat them, not put them on our heads."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Rigby

I agree with @Tee if that stereotype doesn't exist in there country don't try and start something unnecessary.

Nicoleasm

I'm white and watermelon is my fav during the summer. I even love watermelon flavored drinks. When I was a kid, I would try to plant the seeds to grow my own. I'm not sure where this stereotype came from

Astrogenotype

Fuk TMZ!!

chosenone911

Tmz always has to put something racist in their post smh

Vote2012

There was also a big bucket of fried chicken at the finish line.

dyls_E

i think it looks cool, and its kinda funny the thought of them having watermelon helmets... only america is racist enough to associate mundane things like watermelons as being racist.

Steve O'Beck

Wow- smokin' da dank will rob you of perspective.

Reshyben

What is the point in writing this story. As an African American person and a Jamaican, the only thing TMZ did was say something racist. Smh. I cant stand them.

Plaine15

Oh please they wrote the story because I'm sure someone else will. Whenever "white" ppl (since I guess tmz is racist and only employs white ppl) bring anything of color up its alway racist. I was watching Wendy Williams and she showed a google picture of what she thought to be a black man running on what she's says was watermelon and how racist it was crazy thing I didn't even see that. it looked like the how old Nintendo games looked. Why did she bring it up? And the other black lady thought it was racist and the white person who said I didn't see it that way was blind. Everything is racist and u must walk on egg shells or someone is offended. Don't like the story don't read it because the u pretty much get the story from the headline!

brade33

HAHAHAHA

I_c_bigots

Lol man I tell ya a picture can say a thousand words. As a black man I give the bigots permission only today to rip into these guys. Watermelon is delicious and so is the irony in this picture. Lol

indaknow

They had a bucket of fried chicken on the other side of the helmet.

indaknow

Trayvon also bought a watermelon drink before George shot him.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2