« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Richard Petty to Danica:

I ACCEPT THE CHALLENGE

... Let's Race!

2/21/2014 11:16 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0221-danica-richard-getty-01Gentlemen ... and ladies ... start your engines -- 'cause Richard Petty says he's ABSOLUTELY DOWN to race Danica Patrick in a 1-on-1 grudge match after trading shots in the media.

Of course, this whole thing started when Petty criticized Danica's crappy record -- and D.P.'s friend/team owner Tony Stewart said Petty and Patrick should settle their beef on the track.

Well, today ... Petty went on "Fox and Friends" and said HE ACCEPTS.

”Yeah you know, I’m 76 years old ... and it’s been 25 years since I’ve been in a racecar, but I’ll take that challenge.”

He then asked, "When's this gonna happen?"

Good question -- ball seems to be in Danica's court now.

022114_richard_petty_launch

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Edstoby

This would be so cool!

vegasbill

Danica needs to realize that this is a mans world and we run this place....he'll embarrass her out there.

Michael

Danica Patrick would place 5th in a two car race.

Paul

I have to say I think all the people saying she's not a race car driver are ridiculous. She's obviously a race car driver. Is she one of the best? Well, not that we've seen so far, but she doesn't finish last everytime and she's finished up in the pack a number of times. There are lots of guys out there who never have won. So they're not race car drivers either? That's just stupid.

Sure she uses her looks to make money off of advertising, but I've seen plenty of ads with people like Gordon, Johnson and Earnhardt playing of their good looks too. Why is it ok for them and not her? Seems like a bunch of old chauvinistic farts and jealous wannabes complaining about nothing to me.

Bubba Shrimp

Danica isn't a great driver but against an old Petty, I think she wins

carguy55

I wish this old turd would just go Way. He should be more concerned about his drivers trying to finish in the top 20. The king and his bogus 200 wins... go sit on your porch with your dog.

backofftmz

She places better then his cars all the time

SNAFU

She may not be the best, but there's a few guys out there that aren't that good either.

mickieallen

Too bad the King has to bring himself down at the end of such a great career. The apple never falls far from the tree. I guess we know where his bigoted so gets it from. I hope Danica continues to rise above the insults and ignores Richard AND his useless son....

Mike L

At his age, he shouldn't be allowed near a street car, let alone a race car. Whats he gonna do, go around the track with his opposite blinker on, going 20mph under the limit in the left lane?

mark

earnhardt is the best ever not petty, petty better worry about his suckass drivers who danica has run circles around! was his son a driver, oh yeah i dont remember kyle petty winning one race. he needs to think before he puts his 100 year old foot in his mouth!!!

Sid

Danica has always been a marketing ploy and it has worked well. When things don't go well on the track show nipple in a magazine shoot. I don't know who I have less respect for....her or old man petty.

DaDa

Go Petty!

diane

What is wrong with you people. Richard, I love you, but you are out of line on this one. SHE IS A ROOKIE. LET HER BE A ROOKIE.

Brian

It's been so long since Richard Petty won anything he can't even beat a girl.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments