« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

L.A. Clippers

SOLD!!!

5/29/2014 8:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

Clippers Sold
Shelly Sterling has sold the L.A. Clippers to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer for a whopping $2 billion.

As TMZ Sports reported ... the deal was signed just before midnight Thursday. The NBA must approve the sale, but our sources say NBA commissioner Adam Silver has been well aware of Shelly's negotiations with Ballmer and other potential buyers and will support it.

Donald Sterling has made rumblings he may challenge the sale, but he will almost certainly fail.

TMZ Sports broke the story ... Donald gave Shelly sole control over the team -- allowing her to sell it -- and even sent a letter to Silver affirming that Shelly had the reins.

As for Ballmer ... he vowed Thursday night to keep the team in Los Angeles. Ballmer is entrenched in Seattle -- which currently has no NBA team -- and even made a bid to buy the Sacramento Kings and move the team to the Emerald City.

It's pretty remarkable -- just one week ago, it appeared Silver would force an involuntary sale of the team, but Shelly and her lawyer, Pierce O'Donnell, took the initiative to solicit bids and ended up with a buyer pretty much everyone can get behind.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

get real

V. Stavano. Who has the last laugh now? surely not You.

get real

The Wife of 50 years Finally got the Last laugh! You Go Shelly!

DirtJunky

Not that being a racist is ok but I guess in America you can now have your property taken for your opinion. Wtf

t

is the team worth a 2 billion pricetag???

CelebrityScum

Sterling is laughing all the way to the bank you TMZ morons. God you people are stupid.

Just My Opinion

Yeah, how come the guy that owns or the one that named football team The Red Skins force to sell or change the name of the team? I grew up thinking nothing of that name being being bad, or don't see why saying "black people" is a crime. I guess I was brought up the right way. I see "ALL" people as being worthy, and no one is any better in God's eyes than they next person is. I also know that carrying hate in your heart through life is wrong. As it is to make a big deal out of nothing. I also don't want to live in the past, as God says not to do. Ok, change the Red Skins to The Warriors, but then some people will say something is wrong with that too. Like saying.they are saying we Americas are nothing but bunch savages. Where does it end people? Come on now!!

Truth

DATS HOW U MAKE PAPER.. SAY SH*T ABOUT MAGIC'S JOHNSON AND MAKE 160...X RETURN RATIO. RACISM -- LESSON LEARNED. THANX BLACK PEOPLE! #TRUTH!!

zombie

I am glad they made a HUGE profit. I am also glad Magic and Geffen, and Oprah didn't get it like they thought was going to happen. Sterling isn't going to challenge. That is TMZ fiction, believing he still gives 2 fvcks. He doesn't. He is laughing all the way to the bank and Shelly is thanking the She-Male for getting this party started. Now let's see if the NBA goes after Cuban. After all, we now have the Thought Police governing us..

Sparky

It's a sad day in America when a person is forced to sell his company over an illegally taped conversation in ones private home. Well NBA you've opened up Pandora's Box. I can now see bimbos like Stiviano all over the world recording for profit and revenge and not one thing happening to the perpetrator , well played Stiviano well played! Who's next?

Gsetter1

Well now, at first glance, I'm happy the team is out of their hands, but then again they are rewarded for their ignorance. Then I wonder at that price, I wonder if she met with any of the groups of minorities and regular people who wanted the team to be owned by a group more representing of the team demographics. From one caucasian billionaire to another.

Vera in CA

"had the reigns..." Try REINS. Jeez, get some writers!

Safire

Oh goody I can finally sleep well tonight please give me a break everybody is turning into a pu$$y

gegeok

Way...over priced for a team that barely wins...how many rings?..

Mouthtrick

I'm not so sure I agree with any of this. While the guy may be a racist $&*#, did he break any laws? Did he harm anyone in any real way? Should he be forced to sell the team. Here's a suggestion - let him keep the team but boycott the clippers and don't watch or go to the games. Why make him sell and be allowed to make lo this money on it? Makes me uneasy how the court of opinion makes legal decisions.

Truth

YALL KNOW THE CLIPPERS WILL SUCK ASS NEXT YR... AND BALLMER WILL GET HIT WITH MASSIVE DEPRECIATION BY OVERPAYING $1.5 BIL. NICCCE TAX WRITE OFF. THEN SELL THE TEAM TO THE BLACK PEEPS. YALL KNOW WHAT HE'S DOIN. #TRUTH!!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments