Casey Kasem

Radio Legend

Dead at 82

6/15/2014 8:32 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Casey Kasem Dead
Casey Kasem -- the original voice of the American Top 40 countdown -- died Sunday morning ... TMZ has confirmed.

His daughter Kerri said on Facebook this morning ... her dad was surrounded by family and friends. adding, "Even though we know he is in a better place and no longer suffering, we are heartbroken."

Casey was suffering from advanced Parkinson's Disease and dementia. His wife Jean Kasem moved him to a convalescent home in Santa Monica a few months ago.

Kasem founded the "AT 40" radio franchise back in 1970 ... and famously hosted the wildly popular show until 2004. He went on to do several spinoff countdown shows until he retired from radio in 2009.

He was also very famous for voicing cartoon voices like Shaggy from "Scooby-Doo" ... and Robin on "Super Friends." He was inducted into the National Association of Broadcasters Hall of Fame in 1985.

Casey's illness was marked by a bitter war between Jean and Casey's three children from his previous marriage. The kids claimed Jean blocked them from seeing Casey for several months.

Earlier in the week Kerri took her dad off of all life support including nutrition.

Casey was 82.
 0606_casey_kasem_remembering_footer

ariesalyson

Now he can finally have peace. I am so sorry he had to suffer for so long. This man was a great talent and person!

Sue

A legend passes into the night. RIP Mr. Kasem.

SoCal Born

God bless you Mr. Kasem. Hopefully now you can finally rest in peace. Now for more important things, like your crazy wife fighting with your kids over who gets your money. SMFH

Rick

so sad, he had so pass in this condition. He was a super guy. And his wife splitting the family from him. It serves no purpose, only her selfishish.

tdg1029

AWSOME old school dj RIP

fan

RIP...

Todd

Every time I went on a vacation and turned on the radio while running on the beach I listen to AT top 40. I WILL MISS YOU MR KASEM

hazeleyes946

RIP Casey! I'm happy you are in peace and hopefully a bigger place, Can you say a good word for me?

SimplyHappy

I do hope you were lucid in your final days, enough to embrace the love that surrounded you? I'm glad your brother, and children were with you in the end. If there is an afterlife or paradise, may yours be filled with love, beauty, happiness & plenty of music. Thank you for the many memories Mr. Kasem...R.I.P. Sir

Morticia Cowghoul

Rest In Peace Casey & Shaggy. Two of my childhood loves. Sad day.

babycakes

RIP Casey! I hope all this negativity between your wife and children goes away so they can let you rest the way you deserve.

fonzie

He died on Father's Day. Interesting.

smileandshine

RIP Casey Kasem
A voice that will never be forgotten.

tellit2

RIP

cementmixer

RIP Casey. Now the war starts with his blood sucking children.