Robin Williams

Commits Suicide

8/11/2014 3:58 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0811-robin-williams-01
Update_Graphic_Bar
Oakland TV station KTVU reported Williams hung himself.
update_grey_gray_bar
Robin Williams
has committed suicide.

The Oscar-winning actor/comedian killed himself in Tiburon, in Northern California.   His people tell us he's been recently battling severe depression.

According to the Marin County Sheriff's Office ... authorities found Williams' body inside his home.  They say he was found unresponsive.

He was unconscious and not breathing and the coroner suspects suicide due to asphyxia.

Williams was last seen alive at his house at 10 PM Sunday night.

Robin went back to rehab last month to focus on his sobriety.  We're told alcohol was an issue.

Williams struggled with cocaine and alcohol abuse in the early '80s but was sober for 20 years ... with the exception of a stint in rehab in 2006.

0811-robin-zoo-instagram-01
One of Robin's last public appearances was at the San Francisco Zoo in June ... when the zoo named one of their howler monkeys "Robin" in his honor.

Robin's wife, Susan Schneider, says, "This morning, I lost my husband and my best friend, while the world lost one of its most beloved artists and beautiful human beings.  I am utterly heartbroken."

081114_robin_good_will_hunting_launch

Robin's last tweet was on July 31 ... wishing his daughter Zelda Rae a happy 25th birthday. He posted a #tbt instagram pic of himself holding her as a child.  Zelda did not respond.

Late Monday evening Zelda tweeted a quote from French writer Antoine de Saint-Exupery ... "You alone will have the stars as no one else has them…In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing."

She added … "I love you. I miss you. I'll try to keep looking up. Z"

Williams was 63.

081114_robin_dead_poets_launch

081214_mork_and_mindy_launch
0811_robin_williams_remembering_footer_3

static

Nanu Nanu, So long Robin we hardly knew ye.

Steve

Was it auto erotic asphyxiation or hanging?

CodeForDanger

OMG! Never has a celebrity death hit me so hard. RIP. You won't be forgotten. May your legacy live on. http://www.ranker.com/list/robin-williams-movies-and-films-and-filmography/reference

jan

Suicide is never the answer :(

Brian Hughes

marti

no my god,this is so weird,I swear I saw this headline on yahoo two days ago as I surfed pages
spooky

Na.na.na.na Booboo.....stick ya head in doodoo

Omg no..the wrong ppl commits suicide

Theresa

OMGhaaa, Robin. I pray for your soul. You fought a long hard battle. I love ya man !!! p.s. Trying to stay famous & relevant in HollyWierd is a Total Bitch. Damn'It Man

Deviant

I am shocked. So sad. I would never have imagined suicide. One of the greats lost.

truth1986

This is seriously so sad. He was one of the greatest comedians to ever live, in my opinion.

CindyCindyCindy

Will never forget what he did for Christopher Reeves.

Arcadia Rink

I am in total SHOCK! RIP Robin... I Love You!

Na.na.na.na Booboo.....stick ya head in doodoo

63=9 Died on the 11th?! 9/11....weird

IKnowItAll

RIP, funny man. Wish you'd called someone. <3

Jo

NOOOOO this HAS to be a hoax(????)