Robin Williams

Commits Suicide

8/11/2014 3:58 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0811-robin-williams-01
Update_Graphic_Bar
Oakland TV station KTVU reported Williams hung himself.
update_grey_gray_bar
Robin Williams
has committed suicide.

The Oscar-winning actor/comedian killed himself in Tiburon, in Northern California.   His people tell us he's been recently battling severe depression.

According to the Marin County Sheriff's Office ... authorities found Williams' body inside his home.  They say he was found unresponsive.

He was unconscious and not breathing and the coroner suspects suicide due to asphyxia.

Williams was last seen alive at his house at 10 PM Sunday night.

Robin went back to rehab last month to focus on his sobriety.  We're told alcohol was an issue.

Williams struggled with cocaine and alcohol abuse in the early '80s but was sober for 20 years ... with the exception of a stint in rehab in 2006.

0811-robin-zoo-instagram-01
One of Robin's last public appearances was at the San Francisco Zoo in June ... when the zoo named one of their howler monkeys "Robin" in his honor.

Robin's wife, Susan Schneider, says, "This morning, I lost my husband and my best friend, while the world lost one of its most beloved artists and beautiful human beings.  I am utterly heartbroken."

081114_robin_good_will_hunting_launch

Robin's last tweet was on July 31 ... wishing his daughter Zelda Rae a happy 25th birthday. He posted a #tbt instagram pic of himself holding her as a child.  Zelda did not respond.

Late Monday evening Zelda tweeted a quote from French writer Antoine de Saint-Exupery ... "You alone will have the stars as no one else has them…In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing."

She added … "I love you. I miss you. I'll try to keep looking up. Z"

Williams was 63.

081114_robin_dead_poets_launch

081214_mork_and_mindy_launch
0811_robin_williams_remembering_footer_3

chris

Why couldn't a politician die or something. It's always gotta be someone good.

denys

Aw Robin, don't you know how many of us would have been there for you?

Miksmommie

Truly saddened to hear that the world lost such an amazing asset to our world through film, comedy, philanthropy and most of all a parent. May his family eventually get a tiny bit of peace knowing that Robin is no longer fighting his demon's. I'm sure that he felt the overwhelming pressure to live up to other's expectations. Always a fine line between genius and madness. R.I.P I feel like I lost a family member because he was larger than life. God speed.

realjoshua

No where in the article does it say he comitted suicide or anything close. TMZ.....we have stooped low to this?

Grim reaper

Even I am saddened to hear this rip

Chris

Demons run deep in creative geniuses. Sad...

kellie

I am stunned. I am heartbroken. RIP to the funniest actor that I grew up watching on tv and in the movies. I hope that you have found peace.

Cody G

This is such sad news - were almost the same age and I remember him first starting out. I remember going to a party and they had him on HBO doing his standup in San Francisco in the late 70's or early 80's and how he made us laugh so much... Granted, most of us were stoned on pot LOL!!! Man he was funny and I truly liked his latest TV show. Too bad it wasn't renewed. I will miss you Robin. Damn, what a year of losses of great actors and personalities...

Roman Moroni

ICON; loss of innocence and an era

Ally

Suicide is a coward move! TRUTH!

dd

Really sad may you rest in peace.

mike53051

A very sad day...RIP Robin

Live Your DREAMS

"Dear Mrs. Doubtfire, two months ago, my mom and dad decided to separate. Now they live in different houses. My brother Andrew says that we aren't to be a family anymore. Is this true? Did I lose my family? Is there anything I can do to get my parents back together? Sincerely, Katie McCormick." Oh, my dear Katie. You know, some parents, when they're angry, they get along much better when they don't live together. They don't fight all the time, and they can become better people, and much better mummies and daddies for you. And sometimes they get back together. And sometimes they don't, dear. And if they don't, don't blame yourself. Just because they don't love each other anymore, doesn't mean that they don't love you. There are all sorts of different families, Katie. Some families have one mommy, some families have one daddy, or two families. And some children live with their uncle or aunt. Some live with their grandparents, and some children live with foster parents. And some live in separate homes, in separate neighborhoods, in different areas of the country - and they may not see each other for days, or weeks, months... even years at a time. But if there's love, dear... those are the ties that bind, and you'll have a family in your heart, forever. All my love to you, poppet, you're going to be all right... bye-bye.

Sabrina

I saw this coming years ago... Rip

Melissa