Robin Williams

'Selfish' for Committing Suicide

Says Todd Bridges

8/11/2014 4:59 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0811_robin_williams_todd_bridges_tmzRobin Williams' death had been reported for just minutes, when "Diff'rent Strokes" star Todd Bridges bashed Williams for committing suicide ... calling it "a very selfish act."

Bridges moaned he's had a hard time too but didn't take what he implies is the easy way out:  "You don't think that my life has been hell and I've had so many ups and downs now. If I did that what am i showing my children that when it gets tough that's the way out No you gotta buckle down ask God to help you. That's when prayer really comes into effect."

Bridges did give him this, "Rest in peace Robin Williams I hope you found what you were looking for."
update_graphic_red_barA few hours later Bridges apologized for the timing of his comments, saying ... "My best friend committed suicide a few months ago, and I was devastated to discover that he did not solicit my help. I am sure that my attitude toward Williams's death was a delayed reaction of my best friend's death. Again, I apologize for my negative comment, and I ask forgiveness for any pain that I have caused anyone."

0811_robin_williams_remembering_footer_4

Mizzegirl

OH GOD! The world just gets this bad news and here is Todd Bridges with his sad life story "As usual". All I have to say is SHUT UP TODD BRIDGES YOU TALENT-LESS HACK! Who are you to say something like that, Depression is a serious matter and it has nothing to do with being selfish. We should remember Robin Williams for the years and laughs he has given us. What has Todd Bridges given us?????????

Yes Honey

Boy he has some nerve. Plus too soon.....if there's ever a time to comment like this when people are hurting and grieving.

jjbythesea

Why is everyone making this about Todd Bridges? RIP PATCH ADAMS! I loved you then, I love you now. Rest, my friend.

allicat

Todd "washed up" Bridges can **** himself, walk a mile in his shoes, your life and his are completely different.

Mrs. Wasson

Only someone who has never truly dealt with depression would say something so distasteful. No one knows the struggles Mr. Williams had within himself. Considering suicide the "easy way out" just shows ignorance on the accusers part. It is so very sad that Mr. Williams felt like death was his only option. I pray for his family and close friends and hope that they can somehow find peace in dealing with this tragedy.

captainsparks

It doesn't matter if he's right or wrong about suicide being selfish. His family didn't ask for this. He should be respectful of Robin's family & not say anything right now. Its not the time for your opinion on whether or not he was selfish. His family, friends & fans just suffered a great loss. Let them mourn in peace! Everyone has had SOMETHING bad happen to them. Its not a competition on who is stronger or how you dealt with it.

4hammy143

So sad that he killed himself. He was so funny. Always bringing a smile to peoples faces. It breaks my heart to know that someone who brought such joy to people had such a sadness within him. Just goes to show us all that no one is safe from depression. My heart goes out to his wife and children.

MGFunk

Only God can judge? Um...you can get a job being a judge. Anyway...Robin is not dead, just his body is. His energy cannot be destroyed. It only transforms. Thanks for the great movies and memories!!

rlemons

I don't think he meant to be an ass. I completely understand what he's saying. It's sad when someone thinks this is the only way out. RIP

Chris

That's the best you can do TMZ? Todd Bridges? You prove what a joke you are every day. Every.

Nicoleasm

Doesn't everyone wonder this? I'm trying to understand. He was just wishing his daughter happy birthday 10 days ago and he has a 22 year old son. Why not live for them?

Amber

you can say its selfish for someone to take their own life. it is also selfish for someone to ask another person to continue to suffer just so you don't have to hurt. you can get over (or move past) the loss of a loved one but you cant always move past depression. sometimes you seek help but your just to broken. R.I.P you will be miss Robin

srewolf29

As a man that suffers from depression **** you todd u got no idea what we deal with ..and thats what made him the man he was...he delt with it and talked about it so **** you todd

DownWithOPP

Almost every comedian I've ever known personally has been a tormented soul! As odd as it sounds , it's the truth! They mock their surroundings (very well I might add) to cope. They're good at making others laugh at their grief!!

pdwestla

Selfish! You're irrelevant so you want to high-jack someone's death and a family's loss so others can talk about you. Unbelievably selfish. No matter how a person dies it's not up for one to judge. RIP Robin Williams.