Robin Williams

'Selfish' for Committing Suicide

Says Todd Bridges

8/11/2014 4:59 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0811_robin_williams_todd_bridges_tmzRobin Williams' death had been reported for just minutes, when "Diff'rent Strokes" star Todd Bridges bashed Williams for committing suicide ... calling it "a very selfish act."

Bridges moaned he's had a hard time too but didn't take what he implies is the easy way out:  "You don't think that my life has been hell and I've had so many ups and downs now. If I did that what am i showing my children that when it gets tough that's the way out No you gotta buckle down ask God to help you. That's when prayer really comes into effect."

Bridges did give him this, "Rest in peace Robin Williams I hope you found what you were looking for."
update_graphic_red_barA few hours later Bridges apologized for the timing of his comments, saying ... "My best friend committed suicide a few months ago, and I was devastated to discover that he did not solicit my help. I am sure that my attitude toward Williams's death was a delayed reaction of my best friend's death. Again, I apologize for my negative comment, and I ask forgiveness for any pain that I have caused anyone."

0811_robin_williams_remembering_footer_4

dee

Yeah, if you're battling clinical depression and you're completely broke, buckle down and ask God for help. That makes complete f**king sense. God can prescribe Zoloft and give you hundreds of dollars to help pay your rent. Todd Bridges is an effing tool.

DiM

Folks who say things like that just are very ignorant about issues surrounding mental health and things like alcoholism. It's a knee jerk (and unmindful) reaction. Hopefully Mr. Bridges can gain a little empathy and more understanding through his life.

evilprincess1

Todd Bridges is a complete POS, just had

jnw1028

ANY one who commits suicide is being selfish. Its sad regardless, but they dont realize how it hurts the people left behind, hence making it selfish. This is sooo sad tho. He just left his wife and family behind to suffer now. I realize he was suffering but that doesn't mean they deserve this. I feel bad for all of them:(

Lee

Here come the assclowns.

r.privette

No talent ass trying to grab a headline.

coltsfan1963

Damn, the wrong one died. You no talent drug addict piece if S H I T!!!!!!!

jnw1028

It is selfish in a way. I have been to that terrible place. You do not care about anything else but your own pain. Its difficult for everyone....:(

namers

STFU you loser. Check back when you've made millions of people laugh and get yourself an Oscar.

david 183

If you have nothing nice to say shut up. Showing your ignorance and lack off understanding of depression.

LouMimz

Todd Bridges shut the **** up you irrelevant piece of ****. Have some respect.

jim

There are so many common reactions to suicide, and this is one of them - "selfish". Another is "it's the cowards way out." If you think it is an act of cowardice, try staring down the barrel of a twelve gauge for a while and see how brave you feel. Suicide is an expression of mental illness, period. It does not make sense. It is not the result of a rational thought process. It is simply the coping mechanism you use when all other coping mechanisms have failed. It is the death of the soul and the body. It is neither selfish or cowardly. The suicide victim no longer has the capacity to even realize the impact the action will have on loved ones. It's not that he doesn't care. He can't care anymore. Let's drop the old worn out preconceived notions of mental illness and recognize this for what it is.

donna

Yo ********...every one des with their own way right or wrong...you of all people should drink a nice big cup of shut the **** up

fantazma13

Todd bridges doesn't have the right to say what he said. He not a legendary actor.

Mr502

This is the only way he can be heard any more. World class there Willis!