« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

ASU Football Player

I'm Gay

First Active NCAA Player to Come Out

8/13/2014 4:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0813_chip_sarafin_instagramASU backup offensive lineman Chip Sarafin has come out publicly as gay ... making him the first active NCAA football player to do so.

Sarafin revealed he was gay during a recent interview with Compete Magazine, and says he started telling his Sun Devil teammates a few months ago during Spring practice. He says opening up to them "was really personal to me, and it benefitted my peace of mind greatly."

Former University of Missouri star Michael Sam came out in February -- after he'd finished playing football at the NCAA level.

Sarafin is a 5th year senior, but as a backup ... has never played in a regular season game.

Arizona State coach Todd Graham tells TMZ Sports, "We are a brotherhood that is not defined by cultural and personal differences, but rather an individual's commitment to the Sun Devil way."

0813-chip-sarafin-insta-01
Chip started posting pics with his boyfriend several months ago, and captioned one ..."Michael Sam and his boyfriend have nothing on me and mine! #gayfootball"

0813_chip_and_boyfriend_instagram For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

big teaser

WE ARE LIVING IN A WORLD WHERE TALENT DOESN'T EXIST. I GUARANTEE IF ANYONE IS FAMOUS..YOU BEST BELIEVE THEY DID SUM GAY SHET.BUT THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS.

DiM

It's kinda hard to believe really that he is first one to come out ....guess that shows how secretive and old boy's school these organizations really are.
Anyway, good for him and I congratulate his courage. He sure is a cutie!

David

Totally awkward and unnatural. What is this world coming to?

Toilethead

Ol' Leatherface will probably try to get him thrown off the team.

whyumad

Who cares about this anymore?

kingjesster

No reason to be throwing this Shiz out there on the football field it has no place! In the locker room it has no place!!! In your own life that is where it has it's place!!! Quit making a big deal of it so they don't get so much attention and let them lead their lives!!! Then it sorts out the attention whores!!!

boo boo

You are who you are and your ability to play a sport is not defined by your sexuality. Be yourself. Play your sport.

James420

Attention athletes if you aren't getting any attention because you are not good at sports just put your unit in a p00p hole and soon everyone will forget you suck at your sport and ignore the athletes with real talent

Whatever55

Why is this even a headline? People are either straight, gay, or bi. I could really give two ****s less what someone is as long as they are a good person! People are people and they always have been since the beginning of time! Live your life how you want. I just don't really see the point in coming out and announcing it. Your human....be you! Stop announcing it....live your life. I think if gays want to get married then let them. Who cares? I just don't understand why every time some (celebrity or sports figure) announces that they are gay...there is a big deal about it? People are just people...gay, straight, or bi.

royalredus

WOO WOO! Gay AND GINGE. Double bonus!!

BUSTIN QEUVER

WTF!!!!!

Factual

Gross

Seraphina

This is his business , stop trying to put ppl in pigeon holes. He is gay, he plays football, big deal. He is NOT looking at your batty in the locker room, so just STOP IT!

Nvts

Hell Awaits!.......flaming biscuits.

Observer

So what.
Who should care?
It's a personal thing that has nothing to do with your job, so why the need to broadcast it?

You want to be treated differently or something?
Want a badge or a pin or a trophy?
Why should I or anyone else care if you, as a football player is gay or not?

I've grown up with gays, a family member is, another bi. I've worked with, had a couple as roommates yet never have they had the need to broadcast it, make it a point or expect anything by it any more than my heterosexual friends.
So, why the Need?