Mel Gibson

Busted for DUI

7/28/2006 8:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Mel Gibson BustedMel Gibson was arrested by the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department in Malibu, Calif. early this morning for suspicion of DUI. Bail was set at $5,000.

He was pulled over for speeding in his 2006 Lexus as he was heading eastbound on the Pacific Coast Highway and a Breathalyzer test was administered. The arrest report lists the time of arrest as 2:36AM and the time booked as 4:06AM. Gibson was released at 9:45 a.m.

A spokesman for the Los Angeles Country Sheriff's Department told TMZ, "Mel Gibson was arrested for suspicion of driving under the influence. He was released later this morning. The investigation was still ongoing, just like it would be with any other person."

A rep for Gibson tells TMZ they are "checking into" the matter.

EXCLUSIVE UPDATE: A sheriff's official told TMZ Gibson had a blood alcohol level of .12. The legal limit in the state of California is .08.

UPDATE 9:15 p.m. Explosive new details in this case! Click here.

Cat Crump

Read your history books, there is something to what was said. But certainly not said in a respectable manor. But in fact he has gone overboard to redeem himself, enough already.

shirley

MEL GIBSON IS AS HUMAN AS THE NEXT PERSON, HE DID SAY THAT HE WAS SORRY AND GOD DOES FORGIVE US OF OUR SINS. AND HE'S WILLING TO GET HELP FOR HIS DRINKING PROBLEM. I THINK THAT MEL IS A GOOD PERSON, AND I WILL CONTINUE TO WATCH HIS MOVIES AND ADORE HIM, AS I ALLWAYS HAVE. WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES SO PEOPLE NEED TO LEAVE HIM ALONE.MAY GOD BLESS YOU MEL.

Dannette

I just don't understand this "just not lest thou be judged" mantra of some of the Mel sympathizers. Where is the judgement? In his PR statement, Mel Gibson admitted that he was "drunk", "belligerant", and "out of control". Noone's (pre)judging him in saying he was drunk driving or that he has an alcohol addiction. And, he is an anti-Semite. He blames Jewish people for "all the wars of the world" and for killing Christ, and apparently never disavows his father's pro-Nazi beliefs.

Sure, everyone sins and falls short of the glory of God. And Mel Gibson is just one simple, flawed man. And, who cares what humanity believes? We should all be worried about the judgement of a much higher power, especially if we produce a film that incites anti-Jewish hatred and violence. But, people who condemn Mel's actions are not jumping to rash, irrational judgements about his character. They are only stating more or less proved realities.

Mel Gibson is an anti-semite and a drunk. Accept it.

louise kl emery

Is Mel Gibson willing to walk one or more of these extra miles to quell and dissipate anger and hostilities of his adversaries:

1. Establish a treatment center for alcohol addiction

2. Provide a facility and counselling for terminally ill children and their families.

3. Provide hospice services.

4. Address any human service need he thinks is vital.

louise kl emery

1. Establish a treatment center for alcohol addiction.
2. Provide facility for terminally ill children and their famliies.
3. Provide Hospice services.
4. Address any other human needs services he considers vital.

Posted 10:25 AM August 11, 2006 by Louise

Terry Bennett

This does not change how I feel about Mel Gibson. Yes, he may have a problem with drinking, but it is something he has to deal with. He is human like the rest of us and makes mistakes. Nobody is perfect. I agree that Stars deal with certain things differently than others, but maybe they get too caught up in their fame and fortune. Who knows? I feel that if Mel said what he said and did what he did, he should be tried like anyone else. If I did what he did, it would go practically unnoticed. Because he is famous and rich, it all gets to be big news and the celebrity has to pay for it one way or another. I hope all the best for Mel and I hope he can get this straightened out. In some ways I feel for celebrities because they can't lead an ordinary life like I do. But that is the price of fame and fortune.

Good Luck Mel & Family !! Hope to meet you some day in Washington State!

Your fan always,

Terry Bennett

jackise Romagny

Mel made an error while leading under influence of alcohol; it human east, and in more one good Christian, it proved on several occasions to us it has heart, while coming to assistance with most underprivileged the It offered to us a sumptuous gift with “its Passion of Christ”, I have always thought that Mel is a good man, no let us not forget all these attacks that Mel and its family have there undergoes are two years, little or nobody, no would have resisted all these attacks, Mel yes, and it showed to us the way of the truth for better a life
today Mel made an error, which proves than it is an human, it also made its excuses, which shows he has respect and of the sensitivity towards the people which are implied, nomany or anybody would have courage to do it. It is so easy to point the errors of the others especially when they are famous But of grace, they are being human above all, with heart, a family.
The first gesture of love is forgiveness, of this fact if we like Mel and his family, help them in this new test.
Not to judge not Mel after what you read in the press, we were not on the hightway coast.
I believe in Mel, and I think he would not put in danger all these values that him and his wife defends ardûment.
I am fan of Mel since 1979, for me he is a brother, and one morally does not leave to a brother in the concern , We help him

Today, I learn that Mel must find a new distributor, so that we his fans and also the Public one, have the right to see to leave its film “Apocalypto” on our screens, whereas Mel had already a contract with a certain studio. Finally of which makes fun one, of it right, once more, one seeks to prohibit to us from seeing such or such film, very as for the passion of Christ it there at three years. Sirs the large ones of the Hollywood cinema, do not take large higher air, because while refusing to distribute Apocalypto, you show that you no have any respect for the work of all those which took part in the turning of this film, they are technicians or actors, or others, but take keep Sirs, because what does you reproach, in Mel Gibson, in way diverted, us its fans and are public, we could think the same thing about you, taking into account, who 95% of people who were on turning no were not American, then, that must think of you?
You allow yourselves to throw the stone on Mel Gibson and his film (thus on together of the people who took part in turning), and once more to scuttle you a film whose first images not only show us the talent and the géni of Mel, like its courage in front of Natural adversity of Lady, which leaves us desire for discovering a good film on our small and large screens, that we have the right to even judge by us, which we want or not to look at, free with us to go or not to go to see or buy the DVD; but will know that for me, if you drop Mel and his film, that will mean that you to practise the policy of ostrich, and that can are you would be anti Irishman or Mexican..but what reassures me. In all this history is that you are not God in the world of the cinema and on ground.
I should not especially deform your statements and especially not judge you, but you allow yourselves to do it with Mel, for which one evening, alcohol him with fact of losing the head and marked words. You are you put the question to know: is what is the Mel which we all know for his kindness and generosity. ? Or is it alcohol which with spoken? But not of the words were say and one does not seek further, is so easy. Is mel certainly a celebrity, but it is before a whole human being, with its qualities, and also its defects, like you and me, and pose you to it question, am I perfect? Which are my defects, me I know mines, they are not always obvious to rectify, but I works there and I say myself that Mel to him courage to acknowledge to it his into public, and to quality to be honest on top; and you is what you said?
Mel is not anti Semite, he is not a racist, is a person who with the hand on Heart,which enormously gives of his time to the children of all communities in the hospitals.
Let us support Mel and its family, let us help to support this new storm, show their they are like us them children of God, and that of this fact we like them, and that our feelings towards him remain unchanged, because let us know we it all Mel is a Large Lord of the life, and with its contact we can be better.
That God Blesses Mel and his Family and all those which are faithful for him.
Jackise, Melun, France.

Mr.Rehab

People say things when they're intoxicated that they don't necessarily mean. And I wasn't there, I didn't hear it, said the Rev. Garry Poole, director of spiritual discovery at Willow Creek Community Church. (washingtonpost.com)

Maryann Robles

We all know that tragedy sells newspapers, mags, etc. and we also know that drinking and driving is an accident waiting to happen, and celebrities will always get preferential treatment...is that fair? hell no! Famous peoples lives are an open book, that comes with the territory, and yes none of us are perfect. People will always be at odds with each other about whatever...politics, religion, etc. Now I couldn't make heads or tails of that supposed 4 page police report, and I don't always believe what I read anyways, and because I wasn't present at the time, I can't say what really happened to Mel Gibson on that fateful morning. It's been said that he's a wonderful actor/director/producer, a catholic and had a church built, an alcoholic, he's remained married for a long time working in Hollywood (that is a feat in itself), has a pascal of kids, (I wouldn't drop 7 or 12 kids for no man!) his movie was a blockbuster whether you agreed with the story or not, (the only reason it was even made was because he footed the bill) and his daddy is a nazi lover. What bothers me is not that he was caught driving under the influence...well it does (I'm glad he don't live in my town) it just doesn't surprise me, the thing I can't get passed is his duragatory comments about Jews. I'm not a Jew I am a Christian, and even though I might not agree with that rubbish I read earlier...#133 you know who you are...duh! I don't despise Jewish people. Everyone has been quoting this or that but no one has said and this I do believe...A drunk man's words are a sober man's thoughts. I would like Mr. Gibson to comment about what he said and why he said it and whether he said it at all. That is what disturbs me the most...because he made "The Passion of Christ" a historical film to say the least and then goes out gets drunk and starts spewing antisemetic remarks. What's up with that? Don't get me wrong I like Mel...he's an attractive man, good actor and I do enjoy the movies he's made but...he appears to be a contradiction in terms and I just need to have that one thing cleared up. I'll probably still watch his movies but unless my question is answered I'll look at him in a different light. I'm not star-struck about any actor/athlete/politician etc. I would just like an explaination. Good luck Mel and I hope you get the help you obviously need.

jaggerben2000@yahoo.com

Mel is the man!
I've said some pretty big whoppers when I was drunk and besides....
Isn't this America, oh yea it is. Guess what, you can say anything to
anybody anytime you want.
Mel Gibson is one of Hollywood's best! EVER!
All you little cry baby's out there..blah blah blah.
Go cry on someone else's shoulders.

Hector

So, all all of you who make fun of christians who fall like Mel Gibson trying to make yourself feel better by pointing the finger at the one who fell. Most people like you tend to do this so you won't look like the hypocrites that you are. Mel Gibson is a man like all of us, just because he is a christian does not mean he is perfect. The media loves to point the finger at christians who fall, but what about the others that make the same mistakes? If you ask me, all of you making fun are the real hypocrites who are trying to justify your actions. Before you point the finger, remember there are three fingers pointing back at you. I hope everything goes well for Mel and I hope who recooperates from this little downfall.

Nasrudin

What happens if an insect falls in a cup of coffee ?!

The British: will throw the cup into the street and leave the coffee shop for good.

The American: will get the insect out and drink the coffee.

The Chinese: will eat the insect and drink the coffee.

The Israeli will:

(1) Sell the coffee to the American and the insect to the Chinese.

(2) Cry on all media channels that he feels insecure.

(3) Accuse the Palestinians, Hizb Allah, Syria and Iran of using germ-weapons.

(4) Keep on crying about anti-Semitism and violations of human rights.

(5) Ask the Palestinian President to stop planting insects in the cups of coffee.

(6) Re-occupy the West Bank, Gaza Strip.

(7) Demolish houses, confiscate lands, cut water and electricity from Palestinian houses and randomly shoot Palestinians.

(8) Ask the United States for urgent military support and a loan of one million dollars in order to buy a new cup of coffee.

(9) Ask the United Nations to punish the coffee-shop owner by making him offer free coffee to him till the end of the century.

(10) Last but not least, accuse the whole world to be standing still,not even sympathizing with the Israeli Nation.

sharonna

Ok... this is ridiculous. I am glad he didn't kill himself or anyone else. For crying out loud.... the guy was drunk, stupid and pathetic. Let us all get over it and go on to bigger and more important issues like~~~~ .... if Japan's royal couple with have a boy. Now that is really ...really important~ this world is amazing!

michael sidoti

mel has shown strenght throu out the community world wide.unfortunatly there are organizations out there that feel challenged.hang in there mel its been an illumanating experience for us all.++++++++++

Josh Simmons

"I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested, and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable"

That's what his publicist wrote for him to say in a statement.

What a bunch of crap. Everyone who knows anything about alcohol would know that when you are under the influence, you are more susceptible to say things and do things that you want to say or do, but usually wouldn’t.

I can’t believe he would read out such a statement when that fact is undeniable. He should have just apologized to those people he offended; it really is nobodies business what he believes.

Mel Gibson really does hates Jews from the bottom of his heart, considering the occasion had nothing to do with the topics of religion, he must really have it nailed in him.