Gibson's Anti-Semitic Tirade

Alleged Cover Up

7/28/2006 10:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

gibson_exclusive_wi_2-1TMZ has learned that Mel Gibson went on a rampage when he was arrested Friday on suspicion of drunk driving, hurling religious epithets. TMZ has also learned that the Los Angeles County Sheriff's department had the initial report doctored to keep the real story under wraps.

TMZ has four pages of the original report prepared by the arresting officer in the case, L.A. County Sheriff's Deputy James Mee. According to the report, Gibson became agitated after he was stopped on Pacific Coast Highway and told he was to be detained for drunk driving Friday morning in Malibu. The actor began swearing uncontrollably. Gibson repeatedly said, "My life is f****d." Law enforcement sources say the deputy, worried that Gibson might become violent, told the actor that he was supposed to cuff him but would not, as long as Gibson cooperated. As the two stood next to the hood of the patrol car, the deputy asked Gibson to get inside. Deputy Mee then walked over to the passenger door and opened it. The report says Gibson then said, "I'm not going to get in your car," and bolted to his car. The deputy quickly subdued Gibson, cuffed him and put him inside the patrol car.

TMZ has learned that Deputy Mee audiotaped the entire exchange between himself and Gibson, from the time of the traffic stop to the time Gibson was put in the patrol car, and that the tape fully corroborates the written report.

Once inside the car, a source directly connected with the case says Gibson began banging himself against the seat. The report says Gibson told the deputy, "You mother f****r. I'm going to f*** you." The report also says "Gibson almost continually [sic] threatened me saying he 'owns Malibu' and will spend all of his money to 'get even' with me."

The report says Gibson then launched into a barrage of anti-Semitic statements: "F*****g Jews... The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world." Gibson then asked the deputy, "Are you a Jew?"

The deputy became alarmed as Gibson's tirade escalated, and called ahead for a sergeant to meet them when they arrived at the station. When they arrived, a sergeant began videotaping Gibson, who noticed the camera and then said, "What the f*** do you think you're doing?"

A law enforcement source says Gibson then noticed another female sergeant and yelled, "What do you think you're looking at, sugar tits?"

We're told Gibson took two blood alcohol tests, which were videotaped, and continued saying how "f****d" he was and how he was going to "f***" Deputy Mee.

Gibson was put in a cell with handcuffs on. He said he needed to urinate, and after a few minutes tried manipulating his hands to unzip his pants. Sources say Deputy Mee thought Gibson was going to urinate on the floor of the booking cell and asked someone to take Gibson to the bathroom.

After leaving the bathroom, Gibson then demanded to make a phone call. He was taken to a pay phone and, when he didn't get a dial tone, we're told Gibson threw the receiver against the phone. Deputy Mee then warned Gibson that if he damaged the phone he could be charged with felony vandalism. We're told Gibson was then asked, and refused, to sign the necessary paperwork and was thrown in a detox cell.

Deputy Mee then wrote an eight-page report detailing Gibson's rampage and comments. Sources say the sergeant on duty felt it was too "inflammatory." A lieutenant and captain then got involved and calls were made to Sheriff's headquarters. Sources say Mee was told Gibson's comments would incite a lot of "Jewish hatred," that the situation in Israel was "way too inflammatory." It was mentioned several times that Gibson, who wrote, directed, and produced 2004's "The Passion of the Christ," had incited "anti-Jewish sentiment" and "For a drunk driving arrest, is this really worth all that?"

We're told Deputy Mee was then ordered to write another report, leaving out the incendiary comments and conduct. Sources say Deputy Mee was told the sanitized report would eventually end up in the media and that he could write a supplemental report that contained the redacted information -- a report that would be locked in the watch commander's safe.

Initially, a Sheriff's official told TMZ the arrest occurred "without incident." On Friday night, Sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore told TMZ: "The L.A. County Sheriff's Department investigation into the arrest of Mr. Gibson on suspicion of driving under the influence will be complete and will contain every factual piece of evidence. Nothing will be sanitized. There was absolutely no favoritism shown to this suspect or any other. When this file is presented to the Los Angeles County District Attorney, it will contain everything. Nothing will be left out."

On Saturday, Gibson released the following statement:

"After drinking alcohol on Thursday night, I did a number of things that were very wrong and for which I am ashamed. I drove a car when I should not have, and was stopped by the LA County Sheriffs. The arresting officer was just doing his job and I feel fortunate that I was apprehended before I caused injury to any other person. I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested, and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable. I am deeply ashamed of everything I said. Also, I take this opportunity to apologize to the deputies involved for my belligerent behavior. They have always been there for me in my community and indeed probably saved me from myself. I disgraced myself and my family with my behavior and for that I am truly sorry. I have battled with the disease of alcoholism for all of my adult life and profoundly regret my horrific relapse. I apologize for any behavior unbecoming of me in my inebriated state and have already taken necessary steps to ensure my return to health."

Click to see portions of the original report.

Comments updated 7/30/2006 12:15 pm EST

J.Snyder

Mel is a great guy. We all make mistakes and maybe say things we shouldn't at times. GET OVER IT! Leave him alone!!!! As far as Barbara Walters stating "She won't watch Mel movies" BIG DEAL! Everyone I know hates the VIEW and everyone I know still loves Mel. I have all of his movies and as long as he continues to make movies we will all benefit from his talent as a actor and a director. Jamie

CMPotts

He's an entertainer, not some great moral leader. Give him a break unless you've never said something stupid and hurtful.

hollywood joe

At first when I heard this story, I was outraged at how Mel Gibson behaved. As a recovering alcoholic, you just can't blame the alcohol like it's a second person. You must take responsibility for your actions, whether it be jail or negative public opinion.
But what bothers me is how fast people are to tear down a person. Taking ads out to boycott him? How many people out there have had too much to drink and said stupid unbelievably obnoxious things? I bet very few can so "no." And those who can, my hat is off to them. As far as Mel Gibson being an anti-semite, I don't know and you can't judge a person on a drunken incident. Idiot, drunken bore: maybe. An anti-semite, I don't know and maybe we should give him the time and privacy to figure it out and correct the wrongs of that night.
Mel Gibson will end up getting public sympathy and skate this incident due to the incredibly odd phenomenom of the press loving to tear down the people on top and enjoy it.
I hope Mel gets to AA, lays off the excuses and the public finds their next public person to praise or criticize. It should only take a day or two to find one to criticize.

Who really cares....your all just as guilty

Everyone is prejudice. Some choose to verbalize it, some don't. Some choose to ignore it some don't. If you have ever had a drinking problem, or have drank too much(a sin), then you know where he is coming from(i.e. how he could let remarks like that fly). Otherwise you must be an extremely religious asshole posting shit on a website about someone you have never met (probably a sin as well). Or maybe your a catholic preist? I personally like mel's movies, can't say about him...since I never met him. In the end, it's not your job to do as he did, and verbalize your hatred for him either, you morons. If my opinion upsets you or even riles you in any way then I suggest you get a life! -who really cares?!

Hope

Apparently, Mel Gibson was drinking and driving. Isn't that why we have the show cops? I am happy no one was hurt, including the arresting officer. Currently Mel is giving the media news. The TV series cops gives laughs. Now, can you tell me why sober people make anti-semite remarks? Give it a break. No, I did not see Passion of the Christ. Several folks where drinking on the Hill when they voted to envade IRAQ. Folks we have to many issues in this country to worry about instead of who's going to Mel Gibson's movies.

Anne

Are you people kidding me. What ...none of you never got drunk & said or did something you regretted. Most people put their foot in their
mouth when they are sober! None of you have the right to judge him.
He is just a man. If he wasn't a known actor this story would never
have been told. I've been cursed at for my natioality and religion
and It was never considered news worthy!
A thank you to our men
and women in blue. I know if it was my father, brother or son I would
want them treated with kindness.
God, grant me the Serenity
To
accept the things I cannot change...
Courage to change the things
I can,
And Wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a
time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as the
pathway to peace.
Taking, as He did, this sinful world as it
is,
Not as I would have it.
Trusting that He will make all
things right
if I surrender to His will.
That I may be
reasonably happy in this life,
And supremely happy with Him
forever in the next.
Amen.

judi

I am very disapointed in the way Mel behaved and the things he said. As a member of the "public" we all have to take a little responsibility for making our celebreties feel like they are better than we are: we treat them that way. That said, I hope we all realize at that moment in time Mel Gibson was a very sick person. Why are we spending so much time and energy talking about something so sad. This man has so many things going for him but has really hit bottom. How many of us out here have been to that pit in our lives and are lucky enough not to have had to see it, hear it and relive it in the media over and over?

He will pay the price. He will meet his maker. He will loose money. Let the man heal as best he can. Let his family heal as well. We have to follow the path we have made for ourselves in life but the bottom line is LET THE ILLNESS IMPROVE before you kill him. If you want to do harm etc to the man don't go to his films, don't hire him, don't mention his name in print or the media because the bottom line is the media is making money off of all the pain this has cause but remember if that happens a lot of working people will loose money as well, all those that work for and with him.

Jim Mueller

Why are we so preoccupied with the drunken ramblings of a B movie star? Its not like Hes the president, off on a tirade against some middle eastern country, inciting rape and attempting genocide. maybe if we werent so preoccupied with Martin Riggs, this country would be better, instead of the horrorshow I awake to daily. Why do we care about mel, instead of focusing on actual jewish violence, embroiled in an international mess, killing innocents on all sides.
Americans, Wake up.

Ami

I think everyone needs to give Mel a break. He has always been, to me, a very respectable man. Yes, he was intoxicated and made comments that were wrong. We are human. We make mistakes, and we learn from them. Did anyone read the statement that he released? He has not made excuses for his actions, rather he has owned up for his behavior and apologized. He admitted that he has a problem with alcoholism and is taking steps to improve his health. I believe it takes a real man to do that. To come forward and admit he was wrong.

janice

I love Mel Gibson....I love his movies, his acting and his Faith....I do not love his addiction.....his penalty should be to watch "American History X" 5 times a day and also, to go around to inner city schools to talk about what a waste of time hatred and alcoholism are.
RE: Jews....American jews are ok...BUT....what Isreal is doing right now to Lebanon is wrong !!! I agree with Mel Gibson that the jews are responsible for the wars in the Middle East!!!!!
Good Luck Mel.....when you're done doing your "detox".....get out and make another block buster.....maybe something on the lines of Isreal against the Arabs??....at least when you tell it, it will be true!!!!

Matthew Roberts

I am really disappointed in Mel Gibson. He should not have merely said , "The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world." If he had only modified this a bit by saying "The Jews, with the blind aid of the USA, are together responsible for all the wars in the world," his "anti-semetic tirade" would have instantly been converted to "absoute gospel truth."

David

Here is a site where you can post support, or whatever for Mel Gibson...
http:/www.supportmel.com

Rob

I just think it's amazing how outraged people get about some anti-semitic remarks that somebody makes, yet these same people don't get outraged when terrorists blow themselves up to murder innocent Jews. A complete lack of consistency.

irish

duh! you get released from custody when arrested for DUI after you have sobered up, and you have posted bail...what an ignoramus!

irish

hmmm thought offense was spelled offense, not offence.