EXCLUSIVE: Gibson Skated Twice Before

7/31/2006 2:06 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned that Mel Gibson has been stopped for reckless driving two other times in Malibu but he was allowed to leave without a ticket or arrest.

As TMZ first reported, Gibson was arrested on Friday for suspicion of driving under the influence on Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu -- driving 87 miles an hour. As we reported, the deputy who arrested Gibson was ordered to sanitize his arrest report to make it appear that Gibson's arrest was "without incident." In fact, The report states Gibson was abusive, violent and vulgar, and even attempted to escape.

TMZ has confirmed that approximately three years ago, Gibson was driving 74 miles per hour on Pacific Coast Highway, one mile from his house, when he was pulled over by a Los Angeles County Sheriff's deputy. Sources say Gibson avoided eye contact with the deputy during the stop and even though the deputy was suspicious of Gibson's sobriety, he let him go.

Approximately one year ago Gibson was stopped again, after driving 64 miles an hour on Pacific Coast Highway -- where the speed limit is 45. Sources say that Gibson was so cocky that he was on his cell phone the entire time he was detained by the deputy. Ultimately, the deputy decided to let him go without giving him a citation.

And there's new information about Friday's arrest.

As TMZ reported, the deputy who arrested Gibson was ordered by superiors to re-write his report and eliminate all references to Gibson's bad conduct and anti-Semitic remarks. Sources tell TMZ that Lt. Crystal Miranda told the arresting deputy that Captain Tom Martin talked to Sheriff Lee Baca who expressed concern that the explosive report might leak to the media and that it needed to be re-written in a sanitized form.

Sources say Gibson, who was pulled over early Friday morning for allegedly crossing lanes at a high speed, told the arresting deputy that he was leaving home just after 2 a.m. and heading to his brother's house. The arresting deputy found a bottle of tequila in the car, 3/4 full, in a brown paper bag. We're told that Gibson told the deputy that the bottle wasn't his but, "I've had a little bit."

We're also told that Gibson, who issued a statement over the weekend, suggesting he was not of sound mind when he uttered the anti-Semitic tirade and engaged in abusive behavior, was not in fact "out of it." Sources connected with the case tell TMZ that Gibson was drunk but was in control of his senses. At one point at the Sheriff's station, sources say Gibson was "jumping like a monkey" on a steel cage and told the arresting deputy, "I'm not going to hurt you physically. I'm gonna hurt you. I'm gonna make you lose."

We're also told that deputies at the Sheriff's station were star struck by Gibson and a number of them went to Gibson's holding cell to get a look of the star. The problem for the Sheriff's department -- there's a mounted camera in the station and the deputies can be seen fawning over the actor. Sheriff's officials have called some of the officers who were caught on tape in and warned them they might be subject to discipline.

As TMZ reported, the arresting deputy was ordered by officials to take out references to Gibson's bad behavior. We're told the altered report makes no mention of the fact that Gibson attempted to flee the scene by running to his car to escape. We're also told that the officer checked a box on the report that Gibson was "belligerent." Ironically, even though officials did not order the deputy to remove that reference, they did order him to re-write the report to eliminate all references to the supporting evidence leading the officer to believe Gibson was indeed "belligerent."

What do you think about this story? Call the TMZ comment line and we may post your raves and rants on TMZ! Call toll-free 866-895-8877 now!

New Yorker

Why is everyone making such a big deal out of this?? Celebrities bigger than Gibson get stopped by police just as much, if not more, and usually for infractions more serious than simle DUI.

Give me a break, cut the guy some slack - we're going to have his movie career end because of one incident? Thats pretty short sighted.

William Mann

There is no doubt in my mind that Mr. Gibson's "special relationship" with the local Sheriffs office is the reason for the "special way" in which his case was "attempted" to be handled.
Mr. Gibson may try to use his drunkeness as an excuse for his behavior, but what are the excuses of the Sheriffs office officials? I assume their decisions were made in a more sober state.
If it is true that Deputy Mee's supervisors ordered him to violate his sworn duty to the publc by changing his official report, then they should face charges and/or serious disiplinary action themselves.
However, I won't be surprised if they don't. I myself am a retired police officer and believe me when I say I know how the system works!

Arr Jay

Drinking and driving is a bad thing, even if he was just over the legal limit. People do and say a lot of stupid things that they do not mean when they are mad and drinking. I am sure you would not like the last conversation you had while mad or drinking broad casted all over the world. I personally think that there is enough hatred in this world and by the news sensationalizing things of this nature it drives us all apart not together. Why should anyone care if you are Jewish, Catholic, Baptist, Black, White, Asian. What counts is the person, nothing else.

Trenton Scott

IN VINO VERITAS

VINI VIDI VIVA TEQUILA

OLE!

Frank Lanza

Just another example of these "entertainers" who get away with murder.
Just because they are entertainers, what they say gets published. Who cares what their opinions are. They are nobody and what they say doesn't mean squat.
This is the fault of the american public. If nobody would buy magazines and and taboid newspapres, there would be no photographers hounding them.

AND Princess Diana WOULD STILL BE ALIVE.
And these so called "entertainers" would be just like anyone esle. No need to publish and televise what they say, where they go and what they do. I am only writing this because I am sick and tired of their actions. Just like the dixie chicks,
there was no need to tell anyone how they feel, about anything. but they had a captive audience. They were there to sing, if that noise that comes out of their mouths is singing.
Mel Gibson wasn't sorry, he was just saying that because that was what his attorney and agent told him to do.
Everyone in the entertainment business (and that goes for the sports world) shoud be paid like the minstrels did in the past in England. We would just throw coins to them.

Jack Baxter

Gibson must be treated just like everyone else, no better and no worse. Everything he may have said or done must be included in the arrest report for DA review. If he in fact acted like an asshole so be it, let the chips fall where they may but lets stick to this DUI case. Was he or was he not guilty of DUI? Judge him on this case not everything else in his life and keep the file confidential until he has his day in court so this case isn't tried in the press.

Bill Lynch

I think it's pretty sad , that our cival liberties seem to be so under attack these days , to the point where there is some serious debate . where's the guy's right to free speach ? i wonder if this would be as poingiant an issue if he made an arrb slur at the time ?
at any rate , he has appologized , and then some .
i hope we get to see that next film

Rebecca

I think we must remember that it is the Jewish person's feelings that count. A non-Jew can say whether they feel that a Jew should or should not be offended by anti-Semitic remarks, but it is not their feelings that are being hurt. It is not their decision. I am Jewish, and I am offended, and no one can tell me, Jewish or not, what to feel about comments made about me or my people. You can't hate people you don't know. Not every Jew looks the same. I believe stereotypes must be abandoned. My sister has blond hair and blue eyes. Maybe one should look at the casting of the Jewish charaters when you watch the Passion. Not all Jews are from Eastern Europe. How would you feel if someone insulted you, even though they don't know you?? Just because Jesus was a Jew doesn't inherently make the Passion of the Christ non anti-Semitic. WE NEED TO MOVE BEYOND THE STEREOTYPES. This bigotry is ancient and barbaric. Can we please move into this century with peace and acceptance? Shalom. (it means peace, for those of you who don't know)

Richard Evans

Heres the deal, in the real world we are all human. Anybody that says they have not done something they regret after a night of drinking is a liar. Anyone who judges that does not or has not drank should keep to themselves, cause they no not what they speak. The cop saw a chance for a trophy , he got one. Oh yea but that was covered by he was just doing his job. If he was doing his job the details of the arrest would have been kept confidential until trial. Remember innocent untill proven guilty in America. If anyone's rights have been violated it's Mel. The supposed remarks are a non-issue. Was he charged for expressing freedom of speech? I believe there was only one jewish person that can claim "perfect " and he choose to forgive the rest of us. Hang in there Mel the only apology applicable is between you and yours. I am qualified to speak to this as I spent years in Law Enforcement , Had my bouts with Alcohol and am a Christian still trying to reach the perfection that appearntly all of the crtitcs have achieved. " Mel call me "

Disgusted

The Gibson incident just shows that there are two different justice systems. One for those who can afford it and one for everyone else.

You can bet that if 99% of us would have been caught in the same situation, we would be in the slammer right now and would be facing some serious penalties.

Gerry

Mel Gison's comments were despicable. They could not have come at a worse time in view of what is going on in Israel and the recent murder of an innocent Jewish woman in Seattle by a mad dog .

The only way Gibson can make amends is to go over to Israel and put himself in the line of fire against Hezbollah.

Trenton Scott

Mel suffers from the worst possible affiction: SUPERSTITION.

That is the root cause of his personal torment, and it is the fundamental reason for mankind's endless historical strife. Mel's alcoholism derives from the pathetic, conflicted religious disorder in his mind, as the booze fans his superstitious flame...

IN VINO VERITAS

mgleason

We gotta get an idea that we arent perfect and Mr Gibson is propbably reacting to the situation in the middle east. We cant get along so we say and DO, things we shouldn't, just like everyone else in the world, If we were behind Lebanon then they would be allowed to do these things. Hey the Israelis are killing anyone they can, because they can, (we allow them to) they have 1500 lebonese prisoners and were offered an exchange, but no. Lebanon has recognized Hezbolah as part of there government and are behind them now. Just like the sepratists in Iraq, they were terrorists, until they got what they wanted, a place in the government and then they werent terrorists anymore, see!!! Does anyone see the irony, the whinning and the total disregard of humans, just by using a there own cause for the reason?

Shelly

Mel Gibson was arrested for DUI, that really isn't the big deal. The bigger deal is that the Sheriff's department went to great lengths to change Deputy Mee's report. If Deputy Mee is Jewish, as has been reported, he may escape the departments impending retaliation. See, having retired from the L.A. County Sheriff's department, I can atest first hand to their insidious and relentless forms of "payback". Having worked for fifteen years as a deputy, I can say that I have never taken out inflammatory comments made by a suspect. It conveys their mental state of mind with respect to the crime committed. Don't forget, the attorney from the Office of Independent review is employed by the sheriff's department. There will never be any "cover-up" because, they have it all covered!

Ski

daveyw

I have always been a fan of Mel Gibson and as a Chrsitian I will simply pray for him. It is apparent he is struggling with some serious issues here, as most of us do and have at various times in our lives. I sincerely hope that he did not really mean the hateful things he said about Jews. I will pray that God will help him with that too if he really meant it. Even though I do not condone his comments, none of us have the right to judge Mel. Ultimately that is between him and God. We are all human and do stupid things. I will certainly pray for peace and less hate in the world. Hate always destroys, whether it comes from me, Mel Gibson, or anyone else. That fact is strikingly apparent in the Middle East right now. Hatred and violence, hatred and violence, same old story over and over. I cannot help but to sympathize with Israel, however. Throughout all history those people have been driven off their land, taken into slavery, killed by the millions by a lunatic Nazi dictator and constantly attacked by Islamic fascists. It is no wonder that in the Old Testament in the bible it says that the Jews are God's chosen people. I think God knew just how much these people would suffer and he felt compassion for them. I think the world needs to unite behind Israel now to defeat the fanatics hell-bent on destorying them and most of all, work towards peace.

Previous 15 Comments | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments