Sheriff's Rep:

There Was No Cover-up

7/31/2006 1:28 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Steve Whitmore, a spokesman for the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, just concluded (9:15AM PT) a press conference with reporters, answering questions about the Mel Gibson DUI controversy.

Whitmore, speaking outside the Sheriff's headquarters in Monterey Park, reiterated that there was no "sanitizing" of the police report and that no force was used in Gibson's arrest.

He went on to say that Gibson did not run away from law enforcement officers -- but as TMZ first revealed, the report and other evidence points to the contrary. According to the report TMZ obtained, "Gibson quickly turned and bolted towards his own vehicle." The report goes on to say that "Gibson attempted to escape arrest."

When asked about the case as it relates to the media, Whitmore said, "Is this a cover-up to the press or is it a cover-up to the public? Because we believe it is not a cover-up at all. Having said that, I understand the concern. Is there influence peddling here? Absolutely not."

Bryn

I hate to be flip but, who cares? Who cares if Mel Gibson is anti-Semitic, an alcoholic or he's getting preferential treatment from the police??? Do I like any of these things? No, but honestly people get a grip. Some of these comments remind me of my elementary school students when they say, "It's not fair, its not fair!" My reply to an ADULT, "LIFE is NOT fair! You're better off spending your time figuring out how YOU can make it just a little bit more fair for someone else than pointing your finger at others!" I don't know a single person on this planet that doesn't think things they shouldn't about another group of people, name your pain we all have one. Additionally, I don't know a single person on the planet that wouldn't voice or act out those feelings in unfortunate circumstances. Anyone that says any different is just completely out of touch with who they really are. They're the kind of person the rest of us just sit around and wait for to screw up so we can say "I knew you were full of it, no one is that perfect!"

Yeah, the rich get preferential treatment, if you don't like it register to vote, come up with a different economic system for this CAPITALISTIC country or figure out some way to change it. If you're just going to complain at the top of your lungs that its wrong and shouldn't be that way, attempting to change HUMAN nature, then I would just rather you drive to the middle of the desert and rant. I don't like the dark side of our capitalistic system but I don't have any better ideas and I sure am not ready to move to a different country.

I'd suggest some of you take the time to read The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous. My husband is an alcoholic and I've been through much worse with him than inappropriate comments. I HATE what he does, I don't like him when he drinks and oh my gosh has he embarrassed the **** out of me but I'll tell you what, I have no IDEA what he battles with and those of you who have never known what its like to deal with a life debilitating addiction would do well to read this book, or any other you like, before you stand in judgment of Mel Gibson or any other fellow brother or sister.

Mel - I don't like what I've heard you've done and said. I pray the Lord leads you to the conviction of your wrong but more importantly the grace, forgiveness and peace He provides once you get there. I pray He leads you to those that can help and support you. Don't let the world get you down, let the Lord lift you up and show you the purpose for this failure. Then, I hope you pass it on. THAT, would truly be something. Brothers and sisters out there fighting this battle also; I pray the same thing for all of you.

I'm sure some of you are going to go nuts over my comments - have at it, you obviously don't have anything better to do with your time. I'll admit it, I'm sitting here replying because I DON'T HAVE ANYTHING BETTER TO DO TONIGHT, I'm fed up with people who don't want to be part of the solution, only part of the problem, and I like to write. Tomorrow I'll be back out there working to educate our children, helping those less fortunate than myself, LOVING my fellow human, and in general helping whoever the Lord puts in front of me. What will you be doing?

TRUDI

THE PEOPLE WHO SAY, HE WAS JUST DRUNK AND DIDN'T MEAN IT ARE CRAZY. YOUR INHIBITIONS ARE DOWN WHEN YOU ARE DRUNK AND YOU DO SAY WHAT YOU MEAN THAT YOU USUALLY KEEP IN CHECK. AND, JUST A LITTLE DRUNK DRIVING? I'VE NEVER DRIVEN DRUNK. I WOULDN'T WANT TO KILL SOMEBODY. HIS CHARACTER IS FLAWED IN A TERRIBLE WAY. HE IS INSULTING TO POLICE, JEWS AND WOMEN. I WOULD FORGIVE HIM AS A PERSON BUT I WOULD NEVER PAY TO SEE HIS WORK AGAIN. I WOULD NOT CONTRIBUTE MONEY TO AN EVIL, OR MERELY, TOTALLY MEAN, MESSED UP , BULLY. THERE ARE A LOT OF GOOD CHARITIES I WOULD RATHER GIVE MY MONEY TO. I LOVE HIS ACTING BUT I CAN LIVE WITHOUT IT TO MAKE THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE

lisa

Do you know, the man Mel Gibson is only human....we all do stupid things...some of get drunk and act like an ass but I will say in truth I have been trashed before and said things I, in no way, shape or form , meant...get over it people..we are all human, we make mistakes, we are imperfect...leave him alone...he will recover if we all trully love people and understand eachother...Damn, haven't we had enough crap for awhile?...if we let the stupid stuff go, we would all be ok. If he raped someone or murdered someone I would understand, but this politically correct crap is insane. We are HUMAN...we make mistakes...let's not crucify him....let us move on, and grow mentally..

Jen

My well wishes go to the arresting officer. If supervisors there told the officer to change the report and the officer refused to do so, the arresting officer may have hell to pay, even though they were doing the right thing.

Rich Klein

If we didn't know about Mel Gibson's father's view about the Holocaust, and if we didn't know about Mr. Gibson's portrayal of Jews in his "Passion" movie, then maybe reports of his alleged anti-Semitic tirade in Malibu would be hard to believe. But it's clear that Mr. Gibson has a pattern of anti-Jewish hatred that he and his handlers can no longer deny.

Kevin Keckeisen

I don't know what to make of this. When stopped, he DID go on a spoutfest of hostility and anti-Semitics, he DIDN'T do it. He WAS arrested w/out incident, he WASN'T. There WAS a cover-up of this, there WASN'T. Is TMZ right or wrong here? Hey, this is the litmus test of TMZ's credibility here!

ALYSSA

Hey Rich Klein - aside from family member and recent statements, how did Passion make Mel anti-semitic? As far as I can tell, it's pretty verbatim from the Holy Bible.

Dan

I am a fan of Mel Gibson. I've always liked him. So it's not surprising that these recent allegations are very troubling to those, like me, who are fans of Mel.

I will wait for more fact to come out before I jump on anything, but it does appear that my 'vision' of Mel has been shattered (for now). I am saddened for many reasons. Alcohol brings out the beast in many of us and sometimes people say things they don't really mean (or live by). But still, it's a hard pill to swallow. If all turns out to be true, it may forever change my view of Mel Gibson.

arlene westman

My opinion of Mel Gibson just dropped to zero.
I dont pay a lot of attention to movie stars and their
personal lives. I have always liked Mel Gibsons acting
and thought he seemed like a nice person. Anyone
can make a mistake but those remarks and how he acted
probably shows the true Mel. What a shame such a
talented person has such a problem with alcohol and
prejudice. It always amazes me how a successful person
like Mel, good looking, talented, nice family, lots of money
can be so miserable. Life is very strange.

Alex Lacayo

Mel I support you unconditionally, This guy Levine of Tmz isn't he jewish for all I know this guy is trying to damage Mel Gibson's career. Why dont you go harass someone more important. most people Love mel Gibson, you didnt ruin the last passion of the christ and you wont ruin his next movie, leave him alone.
all your doing is getting more theaters packed who will support him by this free publicity of him. he is a human being and if he made a mistake he is sorry for it, life goes on, next story please....

TheRealDeal

End the debate. Release the video tapes of the arrest.

Kevin

what acrock of bull, Liar liar, CREDIBILITY on fire...everyone knows cops treat celebrities different, just admit it!!!!

TW

Its amazing how many people comment on the department's policy of kicking back a report for revisions as if it were a coverup. This is standard procedure at any department regardless of who the accused is. What is unknown is what was submitted to the DA's office, as it would not have been submitted until Monday morning at the earliest. As far as what charges would have been brought against Mel, he would have only been booked under the most aggregious, the DUI. So, I think what's really going on here is that Deputy Mee was upset that his supervisors had him revise his work and he saw an opportunity to vent his frustration to the media, inappropriately I might add. If he was so upset with their decision, he should have sought assistance either through his chain of command or through his union rep. So now what we have is a ridiculous focus on celebrity crap which really has no importance on the rest of the world.

Lois Hennis

Mel Gibson is one of my favorites. He might have been guilty, maybe not, two sides to every story. But is this any different from any other hollywood star or one of our politicians? He is just being picked out and harrassed.

dee

As far as his remarks during the arrest, the only difference is that Gibson's have been published for all to see. How many Jews, Muslims, Christians, etc. etc. say the same things every day about eachother. Celebrities, world leaders, Corporate leaders, everyday Joes? Jews blame all Muslims for their ills. Same shit different perspective. This is no news.

More dangerous stuff, however, wasthe drinking and driving. He joins scores of other doing the same thing. Pretty sad in this day and age. Never mind the countless people doing drugs and driving.

But I have to admit, that this story is even scarier, and it's implications even greater to the general public.......I wish stories like this caused as much of an uproar......

At least this asshole had the decency to get as drunk as he was. Imagine if he was less obviously drunk and piloted that flight?

PILOT TAKEN OFF FLIGHT, MAY HAVE BEEN DRUNK

The pilot of a United Express flight to O'Hare Airport was grounded before takeoff last weekend because he reportedly smelled of alcohol and had trouble providing basic information to security officers, authorities said Friday.

Flight 7609 was slated to leave Montreal-Trudeau International Airport at 8:40 a.m. Sunday.

Shortly before departure, the unidentified pilot was removed from duty after U.S. Customs officers at the Montreal airport informed Shuttle America, the flight's operator, that the pilot could not provide proof of citizenship and was unable to give his departure gate or flight number, according to Chief Ron Smith, a spokesman for U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

DRUG TEST RESULTS KEPT SECRET

Shuttle America spokesman Warren Wilkinson confirmed that the pilot was not allowed to fly the 70-passenger jet Sunday because of a report that he smelled of alcohol.

"We take those allegations very seriously," Wilkinson said. "We removed the pilot from the flight and transferred him to Chicago, where we had him tested."

Wikinson would not give the results of the drug test, saying it was a personnel matter.

United Airlines partners with Shuttle America to operate some of its regional United Express flights.

United spokeswoman Megan McCarthy declined to discuss the incident, saying only that "we are working closely with Shuttle America to make sure the proper action is taken."

The matter will likely be investigated by the Federal Aviation Administration, whose drug-abatement division must be notified of on-duty drug and alcohol allegations involving pilots

from http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-pilot29.html