Mel Gibson Cops a Plea

8/17/2006 3:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Mel GibsonTMZ has learned Mel Gibson's lawyer went to the Malibu Courthouse Thursday and appeared with the prosecutor to reveal a plea deal. Gibson has agreed to three years probation, but will avoid jail time. Gibson was ordered to attend one year of AA meetings. For the first four-and-a-half months he must attend five times a week. For the remainder of the time, he must attend three times a week. Gibson must also pay $1200 in fines and penalties as well as one hundred dollars in restitution.

Gibson volunteered to do a public service announcement on the hazards of driving under the influence. He also volunteered to enter a rehab program immediately.

Under the deal, Gibson pleaded no contest to the misdemeanor of driving with a .08 blood alcohol level or higher. The misdemeanor count of driving under the influence was dismissed. The infraction of driving with an open container of alcohol was also dismissed.

Under California law, Gibson will have his driver's license restricted for 90 days.

Gibson's lawyer initially went to Division 3, but Judge Terry Adamson refused to take the plea because she is a neighbor of Gibson's. The case was moved to Division 1 where Judge Lawrence Mira took the plea. A number of celebrities have passed through Mira's courtroom, including Nick Nolte, Nicole Richie, and Kim Delaney.

Gibson was not in court for the plea.

Click here to check out the plea bargain documents

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

j

I'm pretty sick of seeing all the coverage on Mel. No, I don't have to read the articles, and after about the third story on this whole thing, I stopped reading.
The dude got a DUI, at least he was taken care of before he had the chance to hurt or kill anybody.

bonita

uh oh. you're not living up to lou's standards. must be the jews. s/he comes here for the celebrity gossip that s/he wants, not what TMZ wants to print. man, the whole world is stupid. good thing Lou is here to straighten everyone out.

CelebSlam.com

[insert tasteless joke about Gibson and Jews]

sam

Good to know that in CA you can endanger lives and get away with it. I keep that in mind next time I there.

Dee

It's unfortunate with what happened Mel Gibson, but I still think he is fantastic. It just goes to show us that he is normal... DUI's happen everyday. I am not agreeing with it, but why punish him forever.
I think his plea deal was fair...

BARB

MEL GIBSON NEEDS TO ATTEND A MINIMUM OF 30 DAYS IN REHAB....IT
WILL DO MORE FOR HIM AND HIS FAMILY THAN JUST GOING TO AA,
ALTHOUGH AA IS A GREAT ORGANIZATION...IT DOES NOT GO AS FAR
WITH THE PROBLEM THAN REHAB....SEND HIM TO BETTY FORD'S AND
HE WILL BE A NEW MAN, IF NOT, HE REALLY HAS A B I G
PROBLEM....GOOD LUCK MEL, GOD IS GOOD

Brenda

Bottom line..everyone should be treated the same when it comes to drunk driving. I hope that slap on the wrist of Mel didn't hurt too bad.

EO

Mel Gibson haiku

Mel Gibson is drunk.
Those damn Jews get on his nerves.
Hey there Sugar T**s.

steve

Question:

IS HARVEY LEVIN, BARBRA STREISAND OUT OF DRAG

HHHMMMMMMMMMM...............................................????????

Michael

Well, Mel had no choice like anyone else would. You have to throw yourself on the mercy of the court when you are obviously guilty. I wish Mel a speedy recovery.

bill Jensen

He got off light. People are willing to cut him slack because they think he is a good Christian. He is not, he is a self absorbed, irresponsible jerk. Wait until it is someone in your family he runs over next time. I bet he misses most of his AA sessions, and is driving like an Ahole illegally again. He needed to do jail time for it to really sink in. Jail time is supposedly required for speeding more than 20 mph over while drunk. But we made an exception for this billionaire.

Stephanie

My DUI (first offense ever!!!!) I received 3 years license suspension, 3 days in jail, one year probation and a $500 fine. That was Mel's second and he got a slap on the hand. If only I was rich and famous.

Me

Give the guy a break. I think this whole thing is sooooooo blown out of proportion !! I know people with more than one dui that didn't get half the punishment he got.

kat

they should have thrown his sorry ass in jail just like they would have with a 'normal' person!!! i am pissed about his licence being suspended for only 90 days!!!!!!!!!!! i mean how many drunk drivers will drink and drive again??!?!?!? - most do!!!!!!!! he should never get his licence back cinsidering he could have killed someone!!!

Avanna

Personally I think Mel Gibson was sober when he made those comments about Jews being the cause of all the wars in the world . . . He was drunk when he made a public apology for them ;p

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments