Tom, Katie, Rosie in Attack Mode

9/10/2006 11:40 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

If you think that the slew of recent public appearances by Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes are just a coincidence, think again: Sources tell TMZ that this week is just the beginning of a carefully crafted, all-out image-remaking offensive that the couple has launched, culminating in a long-delayed wedding. But powerful Hollywood bigwigs tell TMZ it's not going to work with them.

The TomKat PR machine has been in fullest attack mode all week, and the latest charge came when Katie and Tom did lunch with the mothers TomKat for the second time this week at the Beverly Hills Hotel. The supposedly feuding families looked notably chummy and happy for the photographers. And in just one week, the couple have managed to use the top-rated newscast and late-night show as well as the most visible hotel and restaurant in Hollywood to attempt a complete image overhaul, not to mention a 22-page spread in Vanity Fair.

But TMZ is told that Cruise has mouthed off to various Hollywood bigwigs at various venues, including dinners at restaurants, about the evils of certain drugs, knowing that family members of these bigwigs are taking them. They are outraged, and don't believe the new, softer side of Tom for a minute.

ROSIE BLENDS LIKE SAND

Just one week after its return to air, there are real problems on "The View," and the situation is already so bad that the real question is: Will Rosie O'Donnell last through even one season?

Sources tell TMZ that Rosie has not been received kindly by her co-hosts, and that Elisabeth Hasselbeck in particular has been openly hostile to her. What's more, O'Donnell – famously dubbed the "Queen of Nice" in her first talk-show-host incarnation – has had significant issues with the production of the show and with the schedule. In fact, on her very first day, after the entire studio audience was given a two-day cruise, O'Donnell complained on-air about that confetti didn't drop on cue from the ceiling to shower the audience, that the promo was an unusually long one, and that a two-day cruise seemed somewhat skimpy, whether or not it was a giveaway.

Rosie's rep Cindi Berger told TMZ, "None of that is true. Everyone gets along great. Elisabeth is planning to go up to Rosie's house with her baby Grace." Rosie, as she promised Barbara Walters, has not been blogging about the show on rosie.com. A publicist for "The View" did not respond to a request for comment.

THE HOFF SOUNDS OFF

He doesn't hold back, does Mr. Hasselhoff. In an interview with People magazine this week, David Hasselhoff admits to using Botox, but says he's going to wait a while until he gets more, adds that Princess Diana was "smitten" with him, and knows what he wants his gravestone to read.

The ex-"Baywatch"-er admits to having a little work done on his 54-year-old face: "I have had Botox, everyone has. It's a shot. It takes out the frown." And he suggests that a certain Hollywood legend has, too: "I like Clint Eastwood, he waited until he was 75. He looks damn good." As for Diana, it seems that the Hoff's mile-high height created "sparks" when they met: "She was smitten with me since I am so tall. I was smitten with her since she was so tall." Right.

When all's said and done, however, Hasselhoff will have a curious message for everyone to read at his gravesite: "Hoff and Running." And that's that.

HEATHER'S FIRST HUBBY: "WE HAVE BOTH BEEN HEATHERED"

Heather Mills -- currently in divorce proceedings with her estranged husband, Paul McCartney -- isn't getting much in the way of support from her first husband, Alfie Kamal. In fact, he's sympathizing with Sir Paul. "We have both been Heathered," says Kamal to the London Evening Standard, via Page Six. "If she took out of the marriage what she put in, she would walk out with minus a million bucks." Kamal was married to Mills in the late '80s. Employing a somewhat unfortunate simile in reference to Mills, who has one prosthetic leg, Kamal says, "She ran off lots of times. It was a bit like the Runaway Bride. I used to think she had a permanent pair of sneakers on under her shoes."

Meanwhile, The Donald -- who knows from divorce settlements -- says on his Trump University blog: "I know I sound like a broken record but ... get a prenup. Don't believe me? Ask Paul McCartney what he thinks. I know he wishes he had one." Mills could reportedly get as much as $400 million of Sir Paul's fortune in the divorce.

PARTY FAVORS: AFFLECK, MIRREN WIN TOP PRIZES IN VENICE, PIRATES PASSES $1 BILLION WORLDWIDE

Ben Affleck and Helen Mirren won the top acting prizes at the Venice Film Festival for their roles in "Hollywoodland" and "The Queen," respectively. The former was a surprise to critics and observers, though Mirren was widely praised for her work. The top prize -- The Golden Lion -- went to a Chinese film, "Still Life," that few critics had even seen ... "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" became the third film ever to pass $1 billion at the worldwide box office, said Disney, trailing only "Titanic" and "Lord of the Rings: Return of the King." It has collected $1.003 billion in ticket sales as of Friday.

Add to: My AOL, MyYahoo, Google, Bloglines
AOL Alerts

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

me

GIVE THE WOMAN HER OWN SHOW!!! I RATHER WATCH HER THAN ALL THE NOISY BITCHES SHE WORKS WITH!

Di

Kate and Tom say all the fuss about Suri caused them to back away. That is bunk. They know exactly what they are doing. I am not saying they are using Suri for publicity but knowing how everyone was clammering to see Brad and Angies baby must of caused some feelings. I do not think money was an issue, no money reportedly exchanged hands for the Suri pics. I think they both realize they have to keep on top of their careers and use things like this to get their names everywhere so I guess yes in a way they are using their little girl which is very disturbing to me.

Travis Bickle

RE :Rosie O'dykell

I saw a short clip of a segment where the women are talking about Paris Herpes Hillton. One interesting note is that all the women had coffe cups on the desk. All were Red in color except Rosies which was white. Now why would Rose decide to have the one coffee cup that's not in sync with the others? Is her ego that big that she just had to have a coffee cup that didn't match the others or was it that she doesn't get a red cup cuz she's the new girl?

me

Rosie will not crash and burn herself...THE VIEW will crash and burn...she practically owns it already...the other ones just laugh at her jokes.

She should get her own joke and rid us of all the crazy babble...

the wife

Rosie's personality is way to overbearing to be on that show. I dont think she will ever be able to blend with her co-hosts.. They need give her the boot.....

kayla

Harvey, stop being such a Tom hater. First you bash Katie a mother on showbiz tonight, now you are blowing off steam about PR. Harvey your hate for Tom and Mel is getting old, move on. Tom has always said that he still believes in his beliefs, he never said that he didn't. Brooke said he apologized to her for bringing her into the whole thing, not for his beliefs. You are just trying to blow smoke up people's you know what. You are a hater, breathe. You picked on an innocent woman about sticking up for her baby, now you continue to bash Tom. Next you will be bashing Mel. How do we expect their to be peace in the world, if people like you can't stop the hate right in our own US.

Dimples

Tom Cruise looks like he is constipated in the above picture.

TEXAS PRINCESS

I did watch the first show w/ Rosie..simply because of all the hype. I don't think Rosie is all that comfortable 'sharing' the small screen w/ the girls. She seems to have an extremely dominant personality and even with her trying hard to 'join in' the conversation..she dominates it! If TV is what she wants to do..go get her own show back, huh??

kayla

Harvey you said the exact same thing about bigwigs in hollywood upset about Tom's remarks oh showbiz tonight last week. This is old news, can't you find something new to talk about. You and AJ need to get pass your Tom and Mel hate and concentrate on real news. I am so glad that Katie told the media off, especially you, and you cant handle it, so now you have to continue with the Tom and Katie hate. She is a mother protecting her child, leave her alone. Oh your poll means nothing, it is the same haters voting over and over. DUH

Lu

Harvey, I totally agree with posters #5 and #8. What is with your total hate-on against Tom Cruise? It's like you've made it your personal mission to bring Cruise down - and you're using venom against two people he loves to do it. Lay off the baby comments, Harvey. An infant should be off limits. If you want to hate her when she grows up, fine. Then she can defend herself. All this venom you spew is making me wonder if you might be on one of the drugs that Cruise objects to. It's just Cruise's opinion, Harvey. They're not going to pull the drugs off the market just because he doesn't believe in them. Your prescriptions will be safe regardless of Cruise's beliefs. And that's just what they are, his beliefs. If this was all a publicity ploy on Cruise's part, don't you think he would take the easy way out and back down on his beliefs. He hasn't - and that's his right. So get over it already. And if you can't, then at least have the courtesy to stop trying to smear Cruise by going after Katie and Suri. Katie is with Cruise because she wants to be - and Suri is his child, whether you want to admit that or not. So go after someone your own size and do it fairly, not with jabs and venom against his loved ones.

TEXAS PRINCESS

I have missed all the so-called hype PR done by Tom Cruse and his girfriend..I guess you have to click on articles about what their doing! lol Whatever they do doesn't affect my life one way or the other, but then again, I guess 'making the news' somewhere is what 'hollywood' is all about...the good, the bad and the ugly.IMO..that has to be a depressing career choice!
Guess that's why most actors in creative lala land are complete nut cases?

Hippo

I am siding with Harvey. Tom is NOT just an average person trying to enjoy a normal family life. He has done a lot of damage with his rantings and Scientology crusading, and he needs to be watched. Anybody who takes him at face value does so at their own peril. Scientology is a dangerous cult, and Tom Cruise has the ability to influence vulnerable individuals to perhaps discontinue needed medications. A high-school dropout should not be making medical decisions for anyone.

Tom Cruise is clearly unhinged and should be prevented from doing any more damage, if that's possible. The best thing that people like Harvey can do is keep this story in the public eye to remind people how dangerous he is and to stay away from his movies. If his movies continue to lose money, his influence will fade.

Hippo

I want to make a comment about Ben Affleck winning a best actor prize for "Hollywoodland." I really did not think he was the right choice to play this role, but after seeing the film, I think I was wrong. He totally gets this character because of the frustrations of his own life and he did a good job.

kayla

You can side with Harvey all you want, it doesn't take away the hate. After awhile you have to let go of the hate, and move on. For some reason Harvey has this hatred for Tom and Mel, that just isn't healthy. Tom has his beliefs, and he has every right to them like Harvey does. Harvey goes on public tv almost every week on Showbiz tonight and expresses his cynical opinions, so why cant others. Harvey puts others down for their beliefs, but acts all high and mighty when he expresses his own. What makes him any better than anybody else. If you dont like what he says, turn the channel. This happened over a year ago, it is time to move on. Harvey's hate on Tom and Mel is very unhealthy, and alot of people are getting very tired of it. It has become so old for me that I have decided to stop watching Showbiz tonight. Aj and Harvey's hate has turned me off completely. They can not go one week without saying something with such hatred, and when they start with Katie and the baby that is when I have had enough.

Lu

Hippo - I agree with some of your comments, to a point. If this were only about Cruise's beliefs about some medications I could agree more with Levin's mission. But it's gone WAY beyond that to look more like a personal vendetta against Cruise and every aspect of his life. When you start questioning the validity of an infant - well, that's the point where I think Levin has overstepped professionalism. By all means, Levin can keep the public enlightened about Cruise's religious beliefs and his beliefs against some medications. But when it's reached a point that Cruise's baby is a target -well, at that point Levin's intent starts looking questionable. I'm personally not a huge Cruise fan - I've seen some of his movies, some of which I've loved and some of which not so much. So if Levin wants to critique his movies - hey, have at it. I don't agree with Scientology and that's Cruise's strong belief. If Levin wants to critique that, well then again, have at it. But when vile comments are made against an infant - well, that's not something Levin can or should critique. As far as I'm concerned, this is the area of Cruise's life that Levin has absolutely no right to vilify - and if you look at many of the stories on this site you'll find them to be extremely vicious against an innocent child - and Levin has basically used that as ammunition against Cruise too. Fine, Levin, hit Cruise for his beliefs - hit Cruise for his religion (or whatever you want to call Scientology) - but lay off the vile things being said about the child.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments