Not Ready to "Shut Up and Sing"

9/13/2006 6:09 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Dixie Chicks: Click to watchNatalie Maines obviously isn't out to make friends with President Bush anytime soon -- expressing her embarrassment towards #43 and calling him a "dumb f**k" in a new documentary.

Though the Dixie Chicks initially set out to make a rockumentary, "Dixie Chicks: Shut Up and Sing" quickly became more politically charged after the group's frontwoman told a London audience, "We're embarrassed that the President is from Texas," at a 2003 concert.
"We felt like it was time to have cameras follow us around for a little while and just show the next cycle of touring," says Emily Robison about the filming, "and then when Natalie said what she said it turned into a totally different animal. It was one of those things where we knew it was important to continue filming."

The documentary, which premiered at the Toronto Film Festival, depicts the backlash towards the Chicks and their new album, "Taking the Long Way," which had difficulty getting airplay on country radio stations. The film will open this month in limited release.

stacey

We pay to hear there music, not there political view point. We don't care how smart or dumb they are, or if they like pepsi or coke. We buy tickets to hear music! That is it! They are singers. We just don't care. We don't tell them our opinion or our view point on politics, or life in general. We don't want to know there's. What is it that make them think we are interested! Please, your opinion is just that, your opinion. Yes there is free speech, but don't complain, when the rest of the country uses free speech also. If they choose not to buy or go to the concert, than that's just America baby. It works both ways.

amy barron

i used to love the dixie chicks! i will never buy anything of thiers again! agree with him or not, think he speaks well or not, he is the president of the united states and it is morally wrong to ridicule him publicly. And in another country! i guess you figured you would get less "boos" there. hey natalie... when did you graduate from harvard?
amy/california

Livewire

HEAVEN HELP US! It's shocking to read what fat, redneck housewifes across America think! All brainwashed Bush supporters! LIVEWIRE has to proclaim, these dumb broads should stay in the kitchen and bake cookies because politics ain't their forte!

Hey housewife poster #46 K. Mainer so ya think Chimp is smart? Did ya know he read quote/unquote "3 shakespeares over the summer?"

Forrest Gump could out debate the Chimp!

jayne

When Natalie Maines first made her comment about how she was "ashamed that the president is from Texas", I applauded her. But this new thing, "Bush, you're a dumb fuckl", is far away from a cogent and rational thought. If she had followed it up with a cogent argument, or a thought provoking statement, that would be something different. As it was,it seemed exceedingly childish, and not something to provoke thought at all. Maybe I didn't hear everything, but I still believe in the concept of the "Respect for the Office, if not for the Man (or,hopefully soon Woman)". I respect Maines' opinion, but I feel that the execution was bad.
It seems that The Dixie Chicks are just looking for more controversy to bring them back into the front pages. And to that I say, "If your music doesn't speak for itself, then you really have knothing else to say to the public. Write a book. Maybe someone will read it. Maybe it will be a best seller!!! You never know what the public will like".But your vulgar comments to the "Leader of the Free World", are not going to change anything. Sorry to say it, but GROW UP, NATALIE!!!!!!!

Debra

I havent' listened to or purchased anything by the Dixie Chicks since their first anti-Bush comments. I'm glad their sales are down and no one is showing up to their concerts. They made their bed now lie in it. We are at war. Comments like that don't help the cause or help morale with our military. Maybe they really are just that stupid. I believe in freedom of speech, but there's a time and place for everything. Most of Hollywood suffers from the same disease...ARROGANCE AND HYPOCRICY. F U D C !!
No longer a fan

JENNIFER

How dare Natalie Maines attack our president with that horrible language!! You made your point the first time, Natalie, and you lost a lot of your fans because of it, including myself. Regardless of whether you like or dislike President Bush, this kind of comment from a singer or anyone is evil and not very helpful to our situation in Iraq. I agree that everyone in our country should say what they think, but not with such nasty language. Natalie, if you hate our President so much, why don't you just hop on a plane and leave the U.S? You are no better than the terrorists who attacked us on 9/11. No matter what, I will always support our president and troops. i will never, EVER, buy anything of the Dixie Chicks again.

Fudc

I think what it boils down to is. America putting up a united front. By her opening her mouth against the President it show our enemies, we are not United against fighting terriosm. Any other time its great to be an American and have freedom of speech. But in times of War, we must Unite, weather we agree or not.

JENNIFER

Right on, #46! I agree with you 1000%.

kathryn

That chick is just pissed she's so ugly.

Hayley

#46 K. Mainer - if you really think George Bush is smart because he graduated from Harvard you are beyond delusional. Millions of idiots graduate from college all the time. I find it very scary all of the ignorant housewives who have no voice other than listening to their redneck husbands. You should be applauding Natalie for showing she is a strong woman who is not afraid to speak her mind!! Ignorance can best be defined as people who have nothing to say and no opinion at all. Just because you do not agree with Natalie does not mean she is ignorant. Apparently, none of you Natalie bashers have listened to the Dixie Chick's song "Traveling Soldier" Ignorant? I think not. Get a life all you redneck, hilllbilly George Bush lovers. George Bush doesn't give two shits about you.

CHRIS MODIA

GOOD FOR THEM... FREEDOM OF SPEECH MEANS JUST THAT ...... NOT JUST FREEDOM TO SAY WHAT EVERYONE WANTS YOU TO SAY................ITS JUST LIKE VIENAM ....... YOU CAN SUPPORT THE TROOPS WITH OUT
SUPPORTING THE PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CHRIS MODIA

VIETNAM
I CAN SPELL

CHRIS MODIA

AFTER READING SOME OF THESE COMMENTS I AM COMPELLED TO SAY...
I AM A DISABLED VET.... I SACRIFICED MY SON'S CHILDHOOD FOR THIS COUNTRY AND DID WHAT I WAS TOLD BECAUSE I THOUGHT IT WAS MY DUTY.... I FULLY SUPPORT THE TROOPS AND THIER FAMILYS.... AT THE SAME TIME I SUPPORT ANY ONE TO SAY WHAT THEY HAVE ON THEIR MINDS.... THAT IS WHAT WE ALL HAVE FOUGHT FOR ... IN ONE WAY OR ANOTHER.... YOU CAN NOT CONDEMD AN AMERICAN FOR DOING WHAT THIS COUNTRY HAS STOOD FOR.. FOR THE LAST 200 YEARS ...
WE CAN ALL PRAY AND STAND FOR TROOP WHO ARE OUT DOING THEIR JOBS... THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PEOPLE WHO ARE CALLING THE SHOTS...
I THINK THAT PRES. BUSH WOULD HAVE TO STAND ON A 12 FOOT LADDER TO LIE LIKE A DOG.... BUT THAT DOES NOT IN ANY WAY KEEP ME FROM DOING MY PART TO SUPPORT THE TROOP WHO ARE DOING WHAT THEY ARE TOLD TO DO ...... PEOPLE HAVE TO UNDERSTAND THAT ONE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE OTHER.....

sam

Excused me but I've just read the most misguided statement of this entire thread.

fudc wrote: "But in times of War, we must Unite, weather we agree or not."

What Country do you live in fudc? My Country (America) allows me to disagree with the Government whenever I want to, it's a basic right we have here. And during a time of War it's more important than ever for us to let our Government know how we really feel. Even if we don't all feel the same way you do.

Protecting the rights of even the least individual among us is basically the only excuse the government has for even existing.

~Ronald Reagan

ROBIN

The DC's are getting exactly what they deserve! You do not disrespect the leader of our great country! FOOLS!!!!!!!! Anyone that is commenting on this article and are taking up for these ingrates needs to SHUT UP and get out of the country if you do not like it here or Bush for that matter...he is our leader like it or not! Sooooo, if you don't like it get OUT!!!! Sooner the better for all of us true Americans!