Clay Comes Out...About Paxil

9/20/2006 2:08 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Clay Aiken is finally opening up about his private life. Sort of.

On Wednesday, Aiken spoke to "Good Morning America's" Diane Sawyer about how he suffered from panic attacks after appearing on "American Idol" in 2003. Clay believes the fact that he was bullied as a child, coupled with the death of his father, helped to exacerbate the problem.

Aiken admits to taking Paxil for the panic attacks, but isn't worried about getting addicted to the depression and anxiety medication. Clay also reveals he has no desire for therapy. "Everybody I know in LA goes to see somebody. And I don't want to do that."

While Clay will discuss the rampant rumors about his sexuality with Sawyer on Thursday, in an interview with People magazine, Aiken says "What do you say (to that question)? ... It's like when I was 8. I remember something would get broken in the house, and Mom and Dad would call me in and say, 'Did you do this?' Well, it didn't matter what I said. The only thing they would believe was yes. ... People are going to believe what they want."

While Clay may not be out, his new CD "A Thousand Different Ways" is.

Cary

Has he done something to his face? He looks totally different.

JL

So he'd rather ignore the underlying causes of his panic attacks than deal with it and be done just because "everybody else does it."

How stupid can a person be.

Scout Galbraith

The word you want is exacerbate, not exasperate!!

fred

COME ON HOMO JUST PUSH THAT CLOSET DOOR OPEN AND SAYSHAY YOUR WAY OUT

Freelols.com

Yes he got a facial transplant from KD Lang.

someone

WOW! the homophobes are out today, do you really care if Clay is gay or not? Will it change your life in some way? Im a Clay fan, and if and when Clay says he is gay, only then will I believe it, and it won't make one bit of difference..I will still see him in concert and buy his CDs...Is he obligated in some way to the haters to tell his personal buisness to you? I think not..

the wise old owl

What is the big deal here. For heaven sake it's 2006, not 1940. Who really cares if he's gay. We already know he is. I just don't understand why all these actors and entertainers just don't tell the truth. Tom Cruise, John Travolta, CLay Akins, Johnny Franco. Oprah , etc etc etc. all need to just MARCH OUT OF THE CLOSET. They all just skirt the issue, lie, pretend and carry on like they are heterosexual. Like we're really going to care who they sleep with. They are fooling a few people, but anyone with any common sense knows what's up. I am not here to judge, but the truth might be nice for a change. Geez.. What's the big deal. Just say it already : " My name is Clay Akins and I am gay " what is so hard about that ?

Rebecca

I wouldn't want the world to know I took it up the butt either. It's better just imaging him having sex with Carmen Electra.

ronny

To Judy: Oh girlfriend, please! DEAD people can tell La Aiken is gay. Hell, he opens his mouth and purse falls out.

Baby Shamble

He's bloated and blank eyed from the drug. He's not dealing with his problems and he will have even more problems when he tries to come off what has been for some a highly-addictive drug. Very sad.

CoCo

OK...So once he admits he's gay what? Will it affect any of our lives?? I DO NO THINK SO! I'm not a Clay fan, but leave the guy alone if he wishes not to make his private life public well let it be!

Jennifer Scott

To Ronny #9 God that was funny. Good job, have a great day!

We, are not amused.

People want to be gay, let 'em. It is not big deal in this day and age. It's just that there is a real agenda that so many PC people have which is to make the rest of us fell that we are "infringing on their rights". Being a Homosexual is a lifestyle CHOICE, you are free to make choices but here's the catch you have to PAY THE PRICE for your choices. This poor bastard is conflicted and its NOT MY FAULT. Either fish or cut bait, Mary. I mean Clay.

Dimples

I don't know why everybody assumes that Clay is gay. So what if he is? He has a right to keep his private life to himself.

WHAT IS THE RUSH

WHAT IS THE STINKIN BIG DEAL, LANCE BASS IS GAY, ROCK HUDSON WAS GAY, THE FATHER ON THE BRADY BUNCH WAS GAY, THE GUYS ON TOP MODEL ARE VERY GAY, SO WHAT IF HE IS, LEAVE HIM ALONE. THEY COME OUT OF THE WOODWORK EVERYDAY, LOUD AND PROUD, THE ONLY THING IS, IF THEY WERE LOUD AND PROUD THEY WOULD HAVE DONE IT SOONER.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments