Brad's Unauthorized Vanity Fair Cover

10/31/2006 7:20 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Brad Pitt struts his stuff on the cover of December's Vanity Fair -- and TMZ has learned that no one was more surprised to see the steamy cover on stands than Brad himself.
Brad Pitt on Vanity Fair.
A source close to Pitt tells TMZ that Brad shot the photos, taken by artist Robert Wilson, in September 2005, but didn't have any idea at the time -- or anytime since -- that they would be used for the cover of VF. Pitt had agreed to be in Wilson's avant-garde video art project last year, and signed a legal release at the time for the still and video images taken in the shoot. But until the Vanity Fair cover emerged this week, Pitt didn't know that he would be the magazine's coverboy.

Reps for Vanity Fair tell TMZ, "In a letter dated October 5, 2006, and sent to Pitt care of Brillstein-Grey [Pitt's managers], Wilson informed Pitt that a still image from his portrait was going to be featured in the December art issue of Vanity Fair." A source says that Pitt never saw the letter.

Pitt's lawyers are said to be weighing their legal options. His rep gave the following statement to TMZ: "We are very disappointed that Vanity Fair has chosen to put an unauthorized cover on their magazine. It seriously makes me question their integrity and motives."

A rep for Vanity Fair tells TMZ: "Brad Pitt posed for a Robert Wilson video portrait, and in the photo release (signed by Pitt), agreed to allow Wilson to use the portrait or any images from that sitting in connection with any publicity on Brad copies his loversWilson's video project. Vanity Fair decided to do a story on Wilson's video portraits and obtained rights to the entire collection of photographs from those sittings, which included Pitt's."

Wicked

Thomas,

Who would you prefer to see on the cover of VF...male that is? Just curious.

juligen

Also he is trying to show a more mature side of his work with Babel, he doesnt wanna be the pretty boy for the rest of his life.

some people like to grow up and get old.

Ok

He had a lawsuit against the x17 paparazzi when he was married. He's always been sue happy!

everyone wants a piece of Brangelina right now. I thought the brangie fire would be put out by the new Reese adnd Ryan crap but So far no good.

Ruth

Hey #3!

Ditto to what #6 and #9 said. You have no brain!!!!

kathleen

Put some clothes on, boy! And, what is with the socks? Tacky!

kathleen

P.S. I would rather see a semi-naked Johnny Depp ANY DAY of the week--Esp. on HALLOWEEN NIGHT!! SAVVY?

Michael

Rule number one. Never sign a release if you think that you will regret any possible use for your photographs now, or in the future.

Shante

That's a fine man.

3cheersformrRuby

Here's a thought, Brad. If you legitimately don't want even a possibility of a cover like that getting out there - don't do a shoot that has you standing in your skivies. From my experience in this business, his "response" is calculated as it's getting him even more press.

Mike Galindo

Brad, quit your whining. Like Madonna, Jane Fonda, etc.,
you DO SOME CONTREVERSIAL CRAP to bring attention
to your mundane life. By the way, Gregory Peck, Charles
Bronson, Steve Mcqueen - YOU DON'T EVEN COME CLOSE
with your acting style.
Nuff said.

realitydose

Arians always looks good at that angle with a blue lens.

AngelG.1

Brad is the bomb ! I will purchace a copy of VF ( just for the articles , of course ) and enjoy one of the best covers Ive seen on any mag this year !!! Bye for now I must go shopping :)

Kevin Johnson/The Famous Guy

Brad I love you but Your time on the throne has come and gone!
I wear the crown now!

LIDA

Wow!
At first I though that it was low of Brad to do such a "steamy" cover, like he is desparate or something, like all these "Lost", soap and B movies guys do - that sexy gaze, unbuttonned short and so on (and it's so cheap and never makes any impression). But then I red that he had no idea he was going to end up on that cover and so I got even more repsect for this guy. I mean I don't like him as a man anymore because in last few years from totally hot (in a good way) he went to ... I don't know domisticated, tired and somehow has lost his good looks, but I like his image, he seems to be a good person (all his exes like one moan about his unbelievably great personality and crazy great aura). I don't know what's gonna happen to his ,hm-m, family situation, but I am glad at least he's got a kid now, something he's dreamt about for ages. And although I think as much as she's striking Angie is "issuelisious" wich won't exactly contribute to their relationship, I still wish them all the best. Especially that after he's signed all those adoption papers he's responsible for those kiddies forever.

Trinity

Yum Yum Yum that is a mighty fine looking man.