Did Travolta

Snub Cruise?

11/22/2006 4:01 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Hollywood is buzzing about a very notable no-show at last weekend's TomKat wedding -- John Travolta -- and there's persistent speculation that Travolta's absence might have to do with the guest-list snubbing of Travolta's close pal, Oprah Winfrey.
Snub Cruise
Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes' wedding last weekend was wall-to-wall celebrities -- Jennifer Lopez, Will Smith, Victoria Beckham, Brooke Shields and on and on. But Travolta's absence was as prominent as all those attendees combined. Travolta is a longtime friend of Cruise, a fellow super-Scientologist, one of the first stars to see baby Suri during her prolonged seclusion, and was consistently reported to be set to ferry Cruise and friends to the Italian wedding in his John's own private jet.

So what happened? Sources say that the answer might be in the Big O -- as in Oprah. Winfrey is one of Travolta's closest friends -- she threw his 50th birthday party and has called him her "soul mate." Likewise, Kirstie Alley -- another bosom buddy of Oprah's and an avowed and public Scientologist -- also skipped the trip to Italy, even though other, more minor Scientologists, like Leah Remini and Jenna Elfman, made it. And just to prove how Scientology-centered the ceremony was, Cruise's best man was David Miscavige, the head of the Church of Scientology.

All of this makes Travolta's absence all the more mysterious, a circumstance not helped by the response of Travolta's reps to TMZ's inquiries: "We weren't privy to the invite list," was their mystifying reply, though what we really wanted to know was whether their client had gone to Italy or not. John's reps then explained that they could not get in touch with him until after the Thanksgiving holiday.

Previous 15 Comments | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8

maria aragon

If Oprah not been invited to the wedding, is the reason Travolta did not attend he is an ass hole. Oprah is his friend not Tom Cruise. Also I have to add that Travolta has not made a good movie since Get shorty.

Brenda

I find this entire wedding a sham. Like so many of the other's, I was a huge fan of Tom Cruise. That is, until he showed the public how hard-hearted he was by #1-Leaving and divorcing Nicole Kidman after 10 years of marriage and #2-Being so heartless when she suffered her miscarriage. A man, who KNEW that baby was HIS and had a loving and caring wife of 10 years and he didn't even go and visit her in the hospital when she lost the baby. All he could ever say when asked what happened was "Nic knows" showing his usual pompous attitude, implying that the reason he left and divorced her was all HER fault. Of course, it was her fault, because Tom Cruise, in his mind, is PERFECT and can do no wrong. He had his affair with Penelope Cruz and when he got tired of her, threw her away and in his quest to have a child of his own, what does he do?? He finds a child, Katie Holmes, someone who is young enough to be his own daughter. SICK, SICK, SICK!!! And their whirlwind romance. I don't think he has any true feelings for her. I feel like she represented the 'perfect image' of what he wanted in someone that he could CREATE his own child with. Katie seems to be a very sweet and likeable person and I think, in time, she too, will get tired of Tom Cruise and his 'so stuck on myself' personality. I shudder at the thoughts of living with such a self-absorbed person who only thinks of himself. Who CARES about his wedding when there are far more important things going on in this world we live in. Look at the money spent just on Katie's wedding dress alone. That is far more than most people make in one year. And the total cost of the wedding..What a shame when that money could have been used by Organizations around the world for the poor and needy. Like so many of the other comments, I will no longer use my hard-earned money to PAY for any movie that Tom Cruise is in. And John Travolta....he and I are the same age and I have loved him from the time I first set eyes on him in the movie "The Boy In The Plastic Bubble". He IS and will ALWAYS be one of my favorite actors. He is a far better actor than Tom Cruise will ever be and I am sure has so many more fans than Tom Cruise. If he wasn't invited to the wedding or either he choose not to go on his own..that is HIS business....not the Public's. Why do so many people have to stick their nose into other's business and make assumptions?? The same goes for Oprah and Kirstie. If they were invited and didn't go...BRAVO!!! Tom Cruise is not the most important person on the face of the earth...but you can't tell him that!

Rose E.

That was one of the dullest wedding of the century. the gifts they gave to their friends I wouldn't give to an enemy. Oprah you should be glad you didn't get an invitation. because if you did you would have to go on your show and lie, saying how nice it was. Let Tom find another show to go on and promote his dull movies. I would have been through with him th first time he disrespect me by jumping with his dirty shoes on my coach

Betty J Roddy (Bet)

I can't understand why a superstar's religion is so important.
I have mixed emotions about the Oprah and Travolta ideas
about the TomKat wedding. Personally I don't think Oprah cares
wheather she was invited or not." I wasn't invited, so I didn't go!" she had said on her show.. I also think John will still be a friend
to Tom no matter who thinks what. I have followed Travolta's
career since the early 70s and I find him to be a caring person but not one who will lose any sleep over Tom. I did however like some
of Tom's movies at one time, but I think his running off at the mouth
has gotten to me as well as others, so I'm sorry to say I won't spend my money to watch him act. I really like Oprah and I know she means well in all she is doing and I'll continue to watch her show.

patrick

Paris Hilton always gets picked on. Think about it. What has she done to anybody other than make them smile. I'm serious, leave her alone, it's bad karma for anybody to pop off about her. Also, I don't have a crush on her, I have compassion for her. 95% of the hating and jealously comes from women and girls that just wish they had .000001% of her anything ( ability, style, money, looks, ethics, integrity etc...)

I got it! try and pick on somebody else, You.....ya you, the person who keeps writing mean things. Karma is real, and very scary if you keep hurting the same person that you don't know at all. So for yourself and for Paris ( I'm sure she needs a break) , stop it, it hurts everyone, and you the most.

Patrick Keeton...Salt Lake City, Bartender and cereal lover.

Sally Wieck

I agree with #3. What in the world has happened to us that we make the almighty dollar so important that all we want is more. How much can you spend? Why the need for a big show to get married? Does it make the marriage any more legal? No, but it does show off the selfish attitude of those who have the big bucks. It shows that they do indeed want more - and I say, more for what?? Oh yes, I forgot, they need that 4th or 5th house and that 10th or 12th car. Sorry for overlooking their needs. And let's not overlook their so-called religious belief -Scientology. Does this belief condone pregnancy and childbirth BEFORE marriage? Did Jesus continue to want to get more and more money - OR - did He give up all He had to show his love for ALL of his children.

lisa

Tom Cruise is a control freak, and has to be to have sway over his new wife. She has not fully arrived to scientology and to keep her she has to be kept on a short leash. That is why the Sea Org member who is also of the Feshbach family who is Very rich and powerful within C of $ is at Katies hip. This would be a very big flap if this were to blow up. Katies father is a practicing attorney, and both of her parents are supposedly devout Catholics. If people put 2 and 2 together they would be able to see how Toms relationships were also with Catholics and failed. He was himself a once a Catholic and was to even become a priest. That would probably be nothing except if you go to search on the internet OT VIII part 2 and look at the part where the fearless leader of Scientology was figuring he was somehow part of the senario of Revelations in stopping "the second coming". Light touch hypnosis, control, and playing on whatever weakness is there ...all just a small part of Scientology.
Tom has made whatever contract with Miscavage and the church and that is his business. It's not a church. I remember at 13 being told that the religion part was only for the IRS and we had to say it to get away with it. Tom probably went with Katie in the begining to get to a certain public for the church, a way to reach a particular age group. Hubbard knew that celebrities could be used for desemination. This is so sad, but they have made their choice. Katie can still get out but she is going to get raked through the coals.
I personally, will never go to any movie that Cruise is in. That goes for Katie Holmes too, at least till she get her head out of her ass.

Kris

Kelly Preston used to be affiliated with CHEC a few years ago, but I don't see her name listed on their website now. If she was trying to use CHEC as a forum to shill Scientology, I have no doubt she was released from her duties at CHEC. And rightfully so. It is a cult and reputable organizations should not be used to recruit more cultists.

Previous 15 Comments | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8