Richards' Rant -- Not The First Time

11/22/2006 4:10 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Michael RichardsDid Michael Richards attack the Jews? Two Los Angeles residents have come forward and said that's exactly what happened last Spring at L.A. comedy club, The Improv.

Carol Oschin and J.P. Fillet say they were at The Improv on April 22 when Richards took the stage. They say that in the middle of Richards' skit, a man in the audience said something to the comedian, when Richards allegedly launched into an anti-Semitic rant. According to Oschin, Richards screamed at the audience member, "You f***ing Jew. You people are the cause of Jesus dying."
Offended couple - click to play

Oschin says the rant continued and Richards stormed off the stage. Oschin and Fillet say that, at first, they thought Richards' tirade was part of his act, but claim that it quickly became apparent it was not.

Richards' publicist, Howard Rubenstein, confirmed to TMZ that Richards did make derogatory comments about Jews, but says it was part of his act. Rubenstein says Richards told him, "I'm not anti-Semitic. I was playing a role and poking fun at the rednecks."

Peter

Did anyone else notice the double-standard here.? An audience member called him a cracker-ass. That's OK I guess. And yeah---why is it OK for some people to use the word "nigger" (or nigga) but not others? We all need to lighten up, get our sense of humor back. Yeah, he got angry, but the guy in the audience egged him on. Also, if Michael Richards was black and he made racial comments about whites, you know the white folks in the audience would have to shut up and take it. Again I ask, why the double-standard? You can't tell me that blacks don't make fun of whites in the privacy of their homes. We're all "racists", but it's just part of living in these times. After it's over we're all the same anyway. Just burn the color away.

Wicked

Spanky

You have no idea what you are talking about. None at all.

Sally Wieck

I agree that this is just a lot of BS. If people in the audience want to stand up and be seen and heard and interrupt an artist at work, then they should be able to take what is given back to the rude and unacceptable comments they are throwing at the artist. When an artist is on stage doing their gig, audience members should sit down, SHUT UP, and either listen and accept, or get the hell out of there. Their (audience members) opinion is neither solicited or accepted.

lala

I went to a jazz concert in LA. Let's say I was one of the 10 white people that were in the audience and the opening act was a black comedian talking about whitey.

boy , I felt uncomfortable and not happy but did I call the KKK?

NOPE!!!!

mg

There is a HUGE difference between comedy and HATERED!!!!!!! Nothing he said was funny. You people seem to over look that fact that he used his words in an attempt hurt not to provide laughter. To Liz - am truly sorry you were not taught to love yourself! Maimi girl- you are very truely delusional if you believe white people are getting the bad end of the deal in America in any way shape or form.

jon erik

Yes, you poor white people are always being picked on.
I am embarrassed as hell by those of you who responded here ---
yes, the media always overreacts to everything. But blaming Jewish people and African Americans for this is ridiculous. Go back to your caves.

--- a white guy

Sam

Ok why is it ok when black comedians can say whatever they want and call us whatever they want, but when its the other way around they have to make a big deal about it and try to get something out of it. Im shocked al sharpton or jesse jackson hasnt gathered up a rally yet. They are so quick to use the race card a point fingers just because they are upset about this little trip they made to america a long time ago. This is america and we have the right to complain, however, you cant have your cake and eat it too. Yes what richards said was extreme but he shouldn't have to apoligize. Its a freakin comedy club, things will come out and someone will always get upset. Dont go!!!! Its obvious some black person is trying to make a quick buck out of this to buy some bling bling.

TheTRUTH!

Get over it. "Oh blacks use it." We aren't talking about blacks. You can't blame anyone but yourself, for your mistakes.

Donald

Can we please quit using "anti-Semitic" to mean "anti-Jew"? The two terms are not interchangeable, especially in modern times since 90%+ Jews are not Semitic people.

TJ

If Michael Richards is Jewish I'd like to know why he attends Mass at my church--Good Shepherd--in Beverly Hills every Sunday at 10 am..perhaps he has a twin brother?

David

I thought poking fun at one's own ethnic group was "ok." Isn't Richards Jewish? I think he is.

mike

if you want to be a racist do it in the confinement of your own homes like youve` been doing for hundreds of years.blatant and opened racism in public will not be tolerated..you agreed to change the laws of racism so deal with it...he should never work in the public eye ever again...is it the year 2006 already??this is really sad....where is the growth....where is the change...........god bless america,and racist

Lee

Comics are commonly heckled and usually they joke with their heckler, why should an innocent statement "my friend says that you're not funny" bring out such rage and racial hatred from Michael Richards? It is because he is a racist who could not tolerate the fact that a black person criticized him and this set him off. I do not worry so much about the insane Michael Richards of the world who show themselves for the irrational bigoted idiots that they are, as much as I worry about the racists who fume on the inside when criticized and act out in cruel and detrimental ways against minorities.

Margaret

Leave Mr Richards alone he is an actor and a comedian - it is okay for Chris Rock and others to say horrible things about people that invvolve race, religion and fat jokes etc but goodness a white man says something and that is it! Those hecklers started this and they should have been thrown out. The lawyer representing them should be ashamed asking for money - they say their feelings were hurt well what about "Cramer's" feelings. why dont they pay for hurting his feelings Oh they must be poor & trashy looking to buy gold & fancy cars on someone's elses hard earned money. Jamie Foxx made a comment he would be kicking ass well he is no better my respect for him is gone! He talks about thanking God etc etc well God didn't teach you to say that moi friend! The Black generation today should have no resentment towards others because of their heritage - they did not grow up in that era and did not know half their ancestors. I am white and my family came over as slaves from 1804 to the late 1800's. Today I respect every religion & race! That is the way it should be. these hecklers should be fined for starting trouble - If the law gives them anything - Then will be always be shame there! AND remember Karma is real what goes around come right back to you! Might take awhile but it will happens! P.S. Sienfeld made the best show in a 100 years - and Mr Richards contributed to that!!

Mad Balls

I think Jammie fox is right . Although , jamie , an overated actor with an Oscar , and soon to be overated singer with a Emmy , wants to fight Mr. Richards who is totally overated ( I heard someone on TV say he'll never work in Hollywood again ... This guy is working somewhere -- news to me .) I think we should let them . My bets are on the big ugly drunk white guy . The Black guy is way too short most probably on Coke and needs his " SISTAS" to fight . Then again "Kramer" has some wild moves . Although " Ray" might take him down with ghetto power . I'd still take the White guy . A white guys beats two N*gg*rs and a jew /black guy in a hand of pocker any day . PLEASE call on two fake Rev. to mediate . Oh by the way ... I hear the killing in Darfur has spread to the lowlands . Dickheads .