Brandy Unfairly Targeted, Civil Rights Group Claims

1/30/2007 4:41 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

BrandyBlack civil rights leaders in Los Angeles claim the California Highway Patrol has made singer/actress Brandy "a political trophy."

The Los Angeles City Attorney is deciding whether to file misdemeanor vehicular manslaughter charges against Brandy, whose Land Rover slammed into a Toyota on the 405 Freeway killing the driver.

Today, Najee Ali, leader of Project Islamic HOPE, said the CHP's recommendation to file charges against the singer "is unfairly targeting her for prosecution because of her celebrity." Ali told TMZ he is organizing an e-mail campaign in the African American community to put pressure on City Attorney Rocky Delgadillo to reject the case.

Delgadillo says "We will treat this case like every other case and treat it very seriously because someone died."

T~

yeah here we go..........jail gets mentioned because she killed someone involuntary and NOW its cuz she is black...........

but lets reverse it, a white person hit and killed brandy..........NAACP would want the white person fried........

you know who keeps racism alive in this country........people who make it about race.............any race, can play that card, and they are the ones that keep people from just being people, THEY make them a COLOR!!

amy

SO I GUESS THAT WHEN BLACK PEOPLE MAKE ILLEGAL MISTAKES OR DO SOMETHING ILLEGAL, THEY SHOULD LET THEM GO CUZ IT WOULD BE RACIAL. I GUESS ONLY WHITE PEOPLE SHOULD HAVE LAWS THEN. THE FACT IS THAT THIS HAPPENED. I GUESS WHITE PEOPLE NEED A GROUP FOR WHITES SO WHEN A WHITE PERSON MAKES A MISTAKE, THE GROUP CAN SAY THAT THIS IS A RACIAL ISSUE.

This is nothing againts black people but damn no one of any race is perfect. Only God!!

Light

Don't they realize they are being hypocrites because by helping Brandy they are giving her special attention that normal people would not receive? Also what has Brandy done lately besides pump out some kids and have a failed marriage what makes her a celebrity? She was a decent singer and had a crappy typical black show on UPN, give me a break.

STACEY

BOTTOM LINE IS - SHE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DEATH OF ANOTHER PERSON!! She should be prosecuted. One of my family members was driving a car and the passenger in the car died due to an accident and my cousin did 15 years. So she really does need to ger over herself and so does NAACP

Catalina

ARE YOU KIDDING ME. I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH BRANDY, BUT IF SHE HIT SOMEONE SHE SHOULD PAY THE PRICE.......JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE WOULD HAVE. BLACK, WHITE, HISPANIC, PURPLE, YELLOW.....................

meg

The fact of the matter is Brandy was the DIRECT cause of someone's death.

It does not matter if she is white, black, green, purple, orange or freakin' polka dot.

she KILLED someone because she did not pay attention to the road. What a tiny thing to neglect to do resulting is such a tragedy.

What if were someone you were related to?

ny091996

Please let's not forget...this was an ACCIDENT!!!! Brandy did not intentionally go out and kill someone. This was an unfortunate ACCIDENT. That being said why "black civil rights leaders"? Can't they just be civil rights leaders? What are white civil rights leaders that fought for black civil rights called?

vinceofcali

how is she un-fairly targeted? It's simple...she crashed, a women was killed and thats that. She wont do anytime anyways...she'll be put on probation, do some community service and whatever else the judge orders...but jail? never. She's a Star and we all know what happened to Rebecca Gayheart after she ran over a kid and killed him.

char

This was an accident, why even think of making any charges???? I am sure she will never forget this, She will have to live with this the rest of her life....
Brandy I hope you can hold yourself together..My coldolences go out to the womans family of Awatef Aboudihaj.

JB

This is not a race issue, has anyone read that it is a misdeamor charge, she won't due time, and Idon't think she should, however someone needs to be held responsible for accidents even if they are called accidents. Someone died.

Team Aniston

I hear ya all!! I mean HELLO.... I dont' give a dayum what color or if she's rich... HELLLLLOOOO...she KILLED someone b/c she wasn't paying attention. Now...if it was someone else they would get the same treatment. I mean YUCK!!! I'm so sick of that crap. AND WHY???? Is the civil rights leader even concerned??? This has NOTHING to do with race! They are saying b/c she's a selbrity??? ARE YOU KIDDING???? God.... seems they just WANT it to be about black. She should serve her time like everyone else when you kill someone. She didn't mean do to it..... Okay... she just wasn't paying attention. And YOU HAVE TO PAY!!! NO MATTER WHO YOU ARE!!!!

coco puff

I told you, I told you!! NO JUSTICE, NO PEACE!! This sh*t has gone on far enough and we are not gonna take it no more!!! I want to take this time and thank all of my brother and sister civil rights leaders for coming to the plate! This was a ACCIDENT and Brandy should not be brought up on any charges, period!!! If she was white none of this sh*t would of happened!

mmmkay

miapocca, what do you think? Is the CHP being racist? Let's flip it around, what if the person who died was Brandy and it was a white girl that was the murderer? Is the punishment enough?

pat

The way i see it is like this.... "african americans" have double standards.. they want to be equal when it suits them and they then play the race card.. which is it you cant have both????????

Pongo

For God's sake, she was in, possibly reponsible for, an accident that killed someone. For her to NOT be considered for charges would be unfair treatment. I'll bet the family of the dead woman could care less what color her skin is or what she does for a living.