Britney's Post-Partum Struggle

2/27/2007 2:03 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned Britney Spears' troubles may have little to do with substance abuse. Sources say doctors at her rehab facility think the underlying reason for her trouble may be post-partum depression.

Sources tell TMZ that Britney's doctors have two operating theories -- either that she suffers from post-partum depression or bipolar disorder. The doctors strongly believe post-partum is the problem.

As for substance abuse, as one source says, "No doubt about it - she likes to drink." But doctors believe the drinking is a way Spears has coped with a bigger problem.

We're told Britney, who is sticking it out at the Promises rehab facility in Malibu, is currently reading Brooke Shields' book, "Down Came the Rain," in which Shields reveals her battle with post-partum depression.

We're told doctors believe Spears' problem is complicated by an intense feeling on her part that she has lost control of her life.

Phoenix Guy

Whether it's post-partum or drugs, I don't care. She's still a publicity-seeking media whore.

andycyber@aim.com

Whatever

Maybe PPD played a little role in her meltdown, but I haven't heard of too many woman who have suffered from it and kept a list of people they wanted to kill!

I think she is used to everyone bowing down to her and when k-fag cheated on her and drained her bank account she flipped out.

A

f*** her

tenaz

Britney will pull out of this, and guys SHUT UP, she is out here and famous because some one bought her records, u hate her so much , dont read article

Whatever

Oh come on people! Are you dumb enough to belive she wants privacy? Who the heck do you think leaked this story to the press? She did! She wants to mend her tarnished image a.s.a.p! She should give us privacy from all her drama she brought on herself!

dawnn

things for Brit to take care of :

ppd
std
hiv
and finally
panties

lost in the mountains

What wisdom is there that is greater than kindness?

Be kind. Leave the child alone and let her get herself together. I have to wonder about all those who seem to have so much riding on her failure.

Michelle

No I dont feel sorry for Britney...She has all this money, the perfect life....So she goofed up when she married K-Fed but then again we all have things in our life we are not proud of...She has two beautiful children out of it-and they should not have to suffer because she cant get her act together..I have had three children and a whole lot of drama caused by my now "ex husband" And I never did anything like she did...It is all for attention...She finally realized her career was in the toilet because of decisions she has made and she did it as a publicity stunt to put her in the spot light again...I would love to meet her...So that I could possibly help her....She needs real friends that care about her...Not people like Paris Hilton -that is career suicide- I know that if she had positive friends she would be better off and she would not have all the stuff going on that she does. Call me Brit....I can take you around my crowd of friends that are positive and still know how to have fun and you can still be a mommy too. I live close to your home town...I live in MS

Who wants to know

yeah Brit,blame it on PPD,that's your way out?,come on why don't you just grow up?and be an adult and take care of your kids...
If you weren't ready to have kids you should have had K-fed wear a glove,simple as that!
GROW UP!!!!!!!!!

Gail

I would be the last person to cast stones at the actions of a woman with PPD. Sure she probably is spoiled and addicted, but it becomes a disease and it's not easy to treat. I had 4 kids by the time I was 21 and almost drank myself to death by the time I was 30. I'm glad she's getting help. All the money in the world wouldn't make her accept reality. Let's hope her children are too young to suffer any effects from her immaturity.

Whatever

There is a little something called confidentiality. Every medical facility has it. Britney wants this made up story to get to the press so people will feel sorry for her. It's no secrect out here in Hollywood that she has been snorting and popping pills for a good long time! She needs to stop the lies and own up to her behavior or she will never get well.

lety

#47 NORMAL??? you must have been raised in very disfunctional family if you think her behavior is normal even for her age.

Pat

Post-Partum depression my foot. It's more like Post-Kevin depression.

Whatever

This girl should be worried about getting clean! Not making up lies so Mommy and Daddy will continue to buy her cd's for thier tweens! Wake up America! This girl is trying to punk you! We'll see if people are foolish enough to fall for it!

Match Maker

BULLSHIT!! How do they explain her crazy behavior BEFORE she got pregnant??? She has been acting crazy for a long time...I don't doubt PPD exists, or that it has affected a lot of women, but for her to try to use that as an excuse instead of owning up to her behavior and facing down her demons...well, that's just pathetic and and does a dis-service to the women who really have dealt with the disorder. Celebrities are such idiots...they make a mockery of real issues, as well as rehab, to fit their own selfish agendas. Whatever.