Eddie Van Halen Checks Into Rehab

3/8/2007 7:52 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Eddie Van HalenThe long awaited Van Halen reunion tour will be even longer-awaited -- Eddie Van Halen has checked himself into alcohol-related rehab.

In a statement to TMZ, the rock legend explains why he's determined to clean up his act:

I would like Van Halen fans to know how much I truly appreciate each and every one of you. Without you there is no Van Halen.

I have always and will always feel a responsibility to give you my best. At the moment I do not feel that I can give you my best. That's why I have decided to enter a rehabilitation facility to work on myself, so that in the future I can deliver the 110% that I feel I owe you and want to give you.

Some of the issues surrounding the 2007 Van Halen tour are within my ability to change and some are not. As far as my rehab is concerned, it is within my ability to change and change for the better. I want you to know that is exactly what I'm doing, so that I may continue to give you the very best I am capable of.

I look forward to seeing you in the future better than ever and I thank you with all my heart.

Love,
Ed

Eddie was scheduled to join the rest of his bandmates at the Rock and Roll induction ceremony in New York on Monday, where Van Halen will be enshrined. But unlike Lindsay and Britney, Eddie will not be leaving rehab for field trips.

Wicked

Some people just can't handle celebrity - fame- adoration - too much money. Eddie's one of him. I bet Valerie has had her hands full for all these years. And their son, well he is surely dysfunctional as well. As we all are. True

steve

umm... isn't that like over 20 years late. I guess they would say better late than never

Rene

I am wishing good luck to Eddie and his family. No wonder Valerie couldn't take it anymore. They were the cutest couple in rock, and I actually thought they would last forever because you could tell that they really loved each other. Hang in there, Eddie!

my opinion

Good for Eddie. He can do this and rock again.

Robert Lombard

GOD grant Edward Van Halen the...........

SERENITY to accept the things HE cannot change

COURAGE to change the things HE can

and WISDOM know the difference...

Ed, YOU are always in my thoughts.

VAN HALEN has always been in my thoughts.

And regardless of OUR past relationship during "Jump" - "Oh Pretty Women" - 1983 US Festival and then our attempt at trying to rekindle that relationship in June of 2005.

I never felt for a moment your anger and resentments were in anyway directed towards myself...

Coming up on 17 years of sobriety WHAT A FANTASTIC SOBRIETY GIFT finding out you have admitted to yourself that you need help. THE FIRST STEP of the 12 step program is the toughest and YOU WILL COME OUT OF THIS A NEW PERSON.

Best wishes
Robert Lombard

KP

#18 - I don't even think that is a current pic of him. I've seen him looking even worse. But God bless him for getting into rehab. If he had done it sooner, maybe he could have saved his marriage to Valerie Bertinelli.

shawn

Can't wait to see how well all of you do. Good Luck!

Chris

Will this be Eddie's first stint in rehab? Just curious!

Get a Grip!

Glad Eddie admitted he was powerless over alcohol! Great comment by Robert Lombard. You can always tell who is a friend of Bill's.

Sobriety is a blessing. Hope Eddie finds serenity.

Lenn K.

#22, you nailed it, if he had done the rehab sooner it might have saved his marriage. Being married for as long as he was, music is one thing your family is another and the family is alot more important. Just don't do a Britney and come and go!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOT4TEACHER

Ed,
Saw you & Val at a NAMM show (industry show)in Chicgao back in the 80's.
My girlfriend and I followed you both down the escalator....
You were about 25 inches wide but damn cute.
Val had on sunglasses and red pumps. I always liked you and the band.
So get off whatever you're dealing with and triumph once again.
Better late then never.

skip

Hey the guy is 50 years old! If that photo is current, he's looking pretty good. I saw him play two years ago on tour, wearing jeans and no shirt. He looked better than most guys in their 20's. I am relieved about rehab, several rock n roll hall of fame inductees have DIED right before or after the ceremony. The Ramones for one, and two of the Byrds
(both alcohol related) Maybe it put some fear into Eddie! He still has the talent and thank God he didn't go on tour drunk and destroy his legacy.

Nancy

Hang in there Eddie - Finish what ya started...

coreene

Lul. Klootzak. Jan met het korte achternaam.

Wow

Thank God, Eddie needs to playing guitar for another 20 years. Too many of the guitar greats are gone way too young. Stevie Ray Vaughn comes to mind. I'm glad he taught Wolf to play and I'm was looking forward to seeing his son play with them, but if he needs rehab and is willing do do it...........Then BEST WISHES go out to him for a healthy recovery. Look forward to your 110% when you are ready.
Yes I do wish he did this earlier, I think, but who knows, it would have helped thier marriage. I loved Valerie and Eddie together.
God speed in your recovery Eddie!!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments