Eddie Van Halen Checks Into Rehab

3/8/2007 7:52 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Eddie Van HalenThe long awaited Van Halen reunion tour will be even longer-awaited -- Eddie Van Halen has checked himself into alcohol-related rehab.

In a statement to TMZ, the rock legend explains why he's determined to clean up his act:

I would like Van Halen fans to know how much I truly appreciate each and every one of you. Without you there is no Van Halen.

I have always and will always feel a responsibility to give you my best. At the moment I do not feel that I can give you my best. That's why I have decided to enter a rehabilitation facility to work on myself, so that in the future I can deliver the 110% that I feel I owe you and want to give you.

Some of the issues surrounding the 2007 Van Halen tour are within my ability to change and some are not. As far as my rehab is concerned, it is within my ability to change and change for the better. I want you to know that is exactly what I'm doing, so that I may continue to give you the very best I am capable of.

I look forward to seeing you in the future better than ever and I thank you with all my heart.

Love,
Ed

Eddie was scheduled to join the rest of his bandmates at the Rock and Roll induction ceremony in New York on Monday, where Van Halen will be enshrined. But unlike Lindsay and Britney, Eddie will not be leaving rehab for field trips.

the atomic funk

So the latest implosion isn't Roth's fault? Amazing.

Sam.

WOAW! that's a scary mug shot, check out the teeth, or what's left of 'em.

Amy NY

Why are these washed out rockers trying to make a return?
Although I wouldn`t hesitate to see the Police or Genesis. I think that these guys should JUMP

Cici

Peace Eddie. I wish you healing of your soul when you discover what is truely ailing you, that is when you let the bottle go. Good luck Wishing to see you in Montreal one last time xox

Whatever

I have battled the bottle myself. Good luck Eddie! I have many Van Halen songs in my ipod.

back in the day

Hey Eddy!! Good Luck man! You are one he** of a guitar hero! Get better and then BRING IT ON!!

EdSays

Best roads ahead man. Refreshing to see a lucid and compassionate statement from someone in the light. I perfer the term Recet (as in reset) Vs. Rehab. Get some rest E. Reflect, repent, and collect the inspiration and tingle up the spine that follows. Onward and Forward!

Milk

If it was the same rehab as Brittany then I "know" what he's there for.

rosetta

So where's your ex-wife Valerie Bertinelli these days? I once saw her and your cute son at Whole Foods in Sherman Oaks.

MJ

Proud of you Eddie!! My thoughts are with you! Thanks for such great music over the years.. The Mighty Van Halen will return better then ever!

Elle

Hey Char,

Me too! It was 1985, I was 15, and my mom was generally pretty strict. She *hated* the VH posters on my walls, and when I asked to go their upcoming concert she said no. She finally said I could go on the day of the show, and when I got there it was sold out. My two friends, who had tickets walked in, and I followed. The guy asked for my ticket and I told him I didn't have one. He looks at me for a moment and then says, "How much money you got?" I held out two tens, he took one, and I wan IN! For less than the ticket price!

We went down to the floor to watch the show. They had a catwalk type stage and we worked our way through the crowd until we were in the corner on the left side. What a show!

Thanks Eddie, and Dave and Alex and Anthony! I wish you all the best and look forward to seeing you again!

Tippy

Good on you Eddie....ignore the crappy put downs....for they aven't even have a clue of just "Who" they are dissing today. Sad commentary on those NOT in the know...*sigh*

You're one of the All Time greats...EVER, and always will be through thick or thin!

Good luck to you Eddie!

LU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SJ

When I heard that VH was going to reunite for a tour with Dave I was glad to hear but concerned that it was going to be going through the motions. At one time I think I was one of the biggest VH fans on the planet. 29 concerts in all. But lost interest after the Balance disc. By the way....Gary Cherone or whatever his name was never played with VH. That was just merely a joke that the entire world played on me...I know it never happened....nuff said there. Now that I here that Eddie seems convicted in getting better I am a little excited to see what a return to the stage will be like because it appears that faced with going back out set something off in Ed when he realized that the fans would be expecting his usual greatness. I guess we knew that he couldn't just go through the motions. He must really want to be great this time back. I hope he gets well and stokes the magic again and that the tour goes well and maybe leads to a real full blown new album with Dave once again and a tour to put them on top again. If anyone can do it, VH can.

Go Ed go. Show these new weak ass pop stars what rock is all about. You make these new groups look like they're all moving in slow motion.

Viva Van Halen

jake

I've been a fan since way back when, at those parties in Pasadena! Good luck Ed, I hope the rehab helps you to realize how much your fans would LOVE to see all of you guys back together again! I think it would be fun to see your son come out & play along BUT you're not the Van Halen we all loved without Michael Anthony AND David Lee Roth! I would ONLY go to a reunion concert if ALL of you can come together & finally give your fans what they've been waiting for since 1985!! COME ON!! Swallow your pride & make it happen for us! PLEASE!!!

aliendogfear

I hope that is an old photo with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. Didn't he have oral cancer a few years ago and have half his mouth removed?

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments