Alec Responds:

'I've Been Driven to the Edge'

4/20/2007 5:55 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Alec BaldwinAlec Baldwin swung back at wife Kim Basinger, slamming "certain people" who he says, "will go to any lengths to embarass [sic] me and to disrupt my relationship with my daughter."

In a statement on his website alecbaldwin.com, Baldwin apologizes for "losing my temper" but is "equally sorry that a court order was violated," and maintains that despite his now-public tirade he has friends and "respect from people I work with," and what he claims to be "a normal relationship" with daughter Ireland. Here's the statement in full:

Thank you to everyone who has posted messages of suppport and understanding. Naturally, it is not best for a parent to lose their temper with their child. Everyone who knows me privately knows that I have endured a great deal over the last several years in my custody litigation. Everyone who knows me privately knows that certain people will go to any lengths to embarass me and to disrupt my relationship with my daughter.

In such public cases, your opponents attempt to take a picture of you on your worst day and insist that this is who you are as a person. Outside the doors of divorce court, I have friends, I have respect from people I work with and I have a normal relationship with my daughter. All of that is threatened whenever one enters a court room.

Although I have been told by numerous people not to worry too much, as all parents lose their patience with their kids, I am most saddened that this was released to the media because of what it does to a child. I'm sorry, as everyone who knows me is aware, for losing my temper with my child. I have been driven to the edge by parental alienation for many years now. You have to go through this to understand. (Although I hope you never do.) I am sorry for what happened. But I am equally sorry that a court order was violated, which had deliberately been put under seal in this case.

Once my book is published, I'm sure more people will understand the incredible strains created by parental alienation.

In the meantime, I'm sorry to anyone who's taken offense from this episode.

Juliet Bosch

Dear Mr. Baldwin, I am aware that you have had many problems in your availability to see your daughter, but under no circumstances should you have ever spoken those horrible words to your beautiful daughter, she is too young to hear these horrible rants and rages from you. Never, ever, call your daughter such horrible names as you have. These words are worse than a slap or hit on her body. How dare you say these words to your daughter. It is disgusting and an outrage. How about stop feeling sorry for yourself and take your lovely daughter into consideration. She is too young and sweet and innocent to have been told these horrific words by her own father. Stop being so selfish, and think of your daughter, and your wife too, your daughter's mother. Grow up Alec. Don't you remember when you were her age?????????

Derek Bill

Wow, a pig, huh? Imagine having your father call you that in a private phone call. Now, imagine having the whole world hear it. And then imagine having all kinds of people who should be spending time with their own kids writing and commenting on it. Think of all those neglected kids wishing they had parents who would spend time with them instead of being glued to their computer all the time, reading and commenting on other people's private lives. America's pretty cool, isn't it?

Whatareyoudoing?

What not to give him for Father's Day. Gun Permit. Get it? Please don't tell Alec that I wrote this, hokay? It wasn't my fault. It was that WITCH Kim.
So there!

Marilyn

OK that's "nice" and all but did anyone else notice that he apologized to basically everyone except for the most important person, his daughter!? I believe this to be damage control and not a sincere apology. What kind of a man belittles his own child, his 11 year old daughter!! Young girls need a healthy relationship with their father or father figure, it is crucial to their development. I am no longer a fan of his and will no longer be watching 30 Rock. It makes me sad when people forget about the children in their ugly divorce battles, I feel incredibly sorry for Ireland what did she ever do to deserve such foul treatment............ NOTHING!!! And shame on Kim as well, leaking this to the press was unthoughtful and very traumatic for her daughter. Way to go Douchebags!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hayden

Inexusable. Like every parent, I've lost my temper with my kids plenty of times but NEVER came close to name calling or berating my children. Baldwin's rant shows me an out of control egomaniac with a serious bullying complex. Scary. I feel so horrible for his daughter. No child deserves that kind of treatment.

Derek Bill

monique

Please. This is not an isolated incident. Those cruel words don't just magically slip off the tongue. While it is possible that Kim is goading him, he should be smart enough not to fall into the trap. He's just upset that he can't refute the tape recording of his own voice.

val

YOU ARE A MORON AND A FOOL IF YOU THINK THIS MAN IS A BAD DAD .. i AM A MOM AND I KNOW FATHERS SUFFER OFTEN FROM MOTHER'S BAD INTENT CAUSING CHILDREN TO TURN AGAINST THEIR DADS.... THIS IS ONE INSTANCE OF EXACTLY THAT .. ALEC BALDWIN IS A DEVOTED LOVING FATHER. AND IF IT WERE YOU OR ME, WE WOULD BE MORE ANGRY AT THE ACTS OF ANYONE LIKE KIM BASSENGER WHO HAS DONE EVERY MEAN THING SHE CAN TO CAUSE TROUBLE WITH THIS KID. SHE IS A ROARING B!TCH AND THIS CHILD IS HER TOOL. And, I am not a fan of Alec Baldwin because he is far left and I am right on Reptublican but politics is not the issue... this Alec Baldwin is a hurt and damaged dad who loves his child unconditionally and reacted no less than I .. or anyone else who is a good father .. ALEC IS A GREAT DAD AND KIM IS A MENTALLY UNSTABLE EVIL MOTHER WHO USES HER CHILD AS A PLOY AND DENIES HIM THE FEW RIGHTS HE'S BEEN ABLE TO KEEP. Stop pretending you'd be good .. you'd be worse than he ..and I would too .. count on it !!!

Oh Puhsleazzz!

4. Good for you! Be the bigger person. Kids are smart - they will automatically go towards the parent who has their best interests at heart. On the other hand, if one parent is malicious towards the other parent the kids will close themselves off to that parent for fear they will be treated in like manner. While this might take time, eventually Ireland will choose for herself.

Posted at 5:16PM on Apr 20th 2007 by SP

I think she already has.

kat

There is no excuse to leave a message like that for a child. None. That was abuse
pure and simple. Abusers always blame everyone else for their behavior. Its obvious
why he has experienced "parental alienation" .

monique

Maya, that is wickedly funny!

starla

I have seen the two of them over the years (Alec and Kim) and thought: parental alienation. There is something not quite right about her. I've lost it on my kids, too, but not like this on an 11 year old! He needs counseling but I don't think supervised visitation is called for.

Krum

I still like Alec Baldwin...yes, he might have taken it too far but to be fair, there are two sides to every story. If he's guilty of anything, it's having a really bad temper and that is not a crime...I don't think he'd ever harm his daughter physically, nor did I hear him threatening her physically in that message. Let it go, people!

David L. Burt

What a moron and a whiner. He is trying to say that Kim Bassinger's breaking a court order is more serious than his tirade against his innocent daughter. This goes to show how removed from reality this man is.

He is a coward who is not fit to be a parent. If someone had a gun to my head and told me to call my daughter a "pig" I would take the bullet every day of the week regardless of what my wife did to me.

This man is a disgraceful piece of garbage. I have no idea how is ex-wife is, but I don't care. Next I guess we will have to hear him whine that he beat his daughter up because her mom didn't answer the phone.

David

buzzie

What kind of an idiot are you. I heard the telephone call to your daughter! How dare you call her a pig! YOU ARE THE PIG YOU WIFE BEATER! I will never see another movie with you in it. You have proved what a low life you are. You told your daughter to be ready on the 20th as you were coming out there and straighen her out - how by a slap in the face! I hope you never see her again - you need help.

Oh and #1 YOU ARE NUTS.