Tracy Morgan

Ordered to SCRAM, Escapes Jail Time

4/28/2007 4:25 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Tracy MorganTMZ has learned that "30 Rock" star Tracy Morgan has copped a plea that will keep him out of jail, but he'll have to wear a high-tech ankle bracelet to make sure he stays off the booze.

Friday afternoon, in a Los Angeles Superior County Court, a judge ordered Morgan, who was not present, to wear a SCRAM (Secure Continuous Remote Alcohol Monitoring) device -- an ankle bracelet worn to test for alcohol vapors that come out of the skin. The tests will go on every 30 minutes for 90 days. If Morgan tests positive for alcohol use he will have to start his 90 days over, and if he fails a second time he'll be forced to spend 30 days in a county jail.

Morgan will also have to complete five days of community service.

NYPD officers busted Morgan after he was spotted driving erratically in November. The bust violated the probation of a previous DUI conviction in Los Angeles.

Morgan is due back in court May 25, when he will be fitted for his new accessory.

Satish Bhardwaj

Tracy Morgan will avoid Jail Time. Is their a surprise? They all do. They have high powered attorney. They pay heavily. But they avoid jail If it was an ordinary guy he would rot in jail for the most minor offense. But a star can do no wrong. He'll never go to jail.

prettyeyes

And he should be in jail just like any other person that gets behind the wheel drunk.... but save the stupid comments for your ignorant peers....... "Cape codder" my heart goes out to you and your family.

Whatareyoudoing?

Alec Baldwin was time enough for my ass. Now, Tracy Morgan livin' large in the bottle. What next, Tina Fey has a rubber fetish?
Good Luck, Yall.

mickey lou

Another Celeb get's special treatment. Shame on these star struck judges!

Cindy

If this were your or I, we'd be sitting in County Jail right now, serving our time...these celebrities get all kinds of breaks, alcohol monitor my ass.

Sir Shamrock

"Celebrity" has it's priveledges, I suppose. I was convicted of DUI three time in a five year period. It made me realize that there could be others involved (thank God I never had an accident). This was 12 years ago. I have not driven drunk or drinking since. You see I am not a celebrity, I spent two years in the pennitentiary. I believe Tracy Morgan should be prosecuted just like the rest of us.

Thanks BK

MICHELLE

What's Up TMZ? A slow news day? Update your system so that this ugly mean guy doesn't lead the list of celeb news.

Howard is no Father or good Lawyer

Couldn't agree with #41 more. From LA to NY DUI. Now he is traveling to do
stand up. No SMRAM 'til May 25. Look out Pgh. He is in town to do comedy.
Smart people should boycott the drunk. I hope he didn't rent a car. Did the
wacky judges take away his drivers licence?

Say No - To the Immigration Bill

Tracy Morgan is a loser. He is not funny and a very mean spirited man who thinks he's more famous than he really is...He's ugly and he's a timebomb waiting to happen. I hope he says something stupid in the near future so he can go crwal under a rock somewhere. I have never seen 3 Rock nor do I even plan to watch because he's on the show and he just discusting to me. When I saw who he really was on PUNKED that's when it ended for me a total asshole. He is full of himself.

MaMaMe

Say No - To the Immigration Bill

36. I come to this site for pure entertainment and have never posted until now...... It's laughable to me how you racist, ignorant, unearned self entitled people of non-color are. He is a human being that should be punished by his actions just like all people(including you self righteous dumbasses that never do anything wrong at least in your eyes, you believe that even your mistakes and flaws should be put on a higher platform than anyone else who doesn't look like you.... again, dumbasses with your dumbass racist comments (at least make them funny, but even your jokes are corny)

Posted at 2:59PM on Apr 28th 2007 by prettygirl

Perttygirl...you sound like an ugly gril and I am a black woman. Stop making every damn thing about racism. I'm sick and tired of my race complaining about racism. All you're doing is making it hard for Blacks that are really discriminated against.

See my first comment...and I didn't have to make it about our race and you should try to do the same. People are entitled say whatever that want here so step back and think before you post.

janice

i say the 3 strike rule should apply. 1 more incident and mr morgan want have to be concerned about his drinking problem(and it is HIS problem) the result would be life in prison.

we must get these people off the road once and for all. innocent lives are being taken for the sake of a drunkard!!! - janice

JaneaneTheAcerbicGoblin

Are celebrities playing a game of "well, if Paris Hilton can get a DUI, so can I!"?

These celebrities are trying to upstage each other with their reckless alcoholism.

PopChatter

SCRAM?! I didn't even know that kind of thing existed. This is the greatest... a bracelet to detect if you are drunk... of course exclusively for drunks... by demand of the courts.

Vote for TMZ as #1 and this article #1 on:

Mrs. Watkins

Welp, that isn't right. Celeb's should not get off easy by wearing a SCRAM.
I just don't get it. HOW DO CELEB's think it is alright to drive DRUNK when they have so many people that can drive for them or even call them a taxi. I just get sick of these Celeb's that plea bargain instead of paying the real price for their actions. I am sad to say that it will take a celeb actually killing someone under the influence for judges to stop allowing them to get off with plea bargains.

And as for the comments #10 Linda, #19 Me, #25 obama,#32 Sebastian, ... Get help. You need it. This is 2007, that kind of talk is not even cool, neat, nifty, trendy or even RIGHT. Y'all are wrong on so many levels. Good Lord I am sick of racist talk on this board.

bev

let that be your average person and you are going to jail....and SCRAM ???? WTF?? i have never even heard of that....
so let me get this straight, this is his 2nd time, so now he gets the "scram", and if he messes up, he gets another chance, and THEN 30 days(which is actually 15, if i;m not mistaken)?????
wow, no wonder everyone wants to be famous.....
hopefully he won't kill anyone when he screws up next time........

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments