Kelly to Clive:

Shove It!

5/8/2007 6:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Kelly Clarkson vs. Clive Davis"Idol" champ Kelly Clarkson has used her music muscle against her record label head, Clive Davis -- and won!

Well-connected record company sources tell TMZ that Clive likes to exercise "creative control" over artist recordings and wasn't happy at all with Kelly's latest album, "My December." There are unconfirmed reports Clive wanted to shelve the entire album. TMZ has confirmed that the 75-year-old music mogul asked for "significant" changes and wanted to put the brakes on the CD. But Clarkson wasn't having any of it -- especially since she wrote/co-wrote all the tracks on the record.

Sources tell us that Clarkson stood up to him and flat out refused to give in, and in the end she got her way.

One source told TMZ there is "deep tension" between Clarkson and Davis, adding, "She's definitely upset, but she's not a stupid girl."
"My December" drops July 24. Kelly performed one of the album's tracks on "Today" this morning.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

Betsy

Huge Mistake, Huge. You don't go against a giant who can make or break you...huge mistake...she is looking dowdy...success has gone to her head and I don't even like her. she can't even hold a candle next to Carrie Underwood who continues to break all records. Kelly you will rue the day you did this. Shame on you to turn your back on the Idol staff who made you...no records for me from now on

Valarie

KELLY IS THE BEST FEMALE SINGER OF ALL TIME! SRY BOUT IT! HER MUSIC IS AMAZING...AND EVERYONE DOES HAVE THEIR OWN OPINION...BUT COME ON SHE HAS WON GRAMMIES....BEEN #1 ON SEVERAL MUSIC SHOWS....GOSH...I CANT BELIEVE IT. I CANT WAIT FOR "MY DECEMBER"!! ITS PROBABLY GONNA BE THE BEST SELLING ALBUM EVER...TRUE STORY YA'LL! I LOVE YOU KELLY AND YOU SHOULDNT HAVE TO TAKE ANY CRAP...ESPECIALLY FOR ALL THE WORK YOU'VE DONE! love ya chic....can't wait to meet ya in August!

Marbs

Well, if you were Kelly Clarkson and Clive Davis asked you to sing a recycled song already done by Lindsay Lohan, wouldn't you be pissed?

For Clive Davis to ask a two-time grammy winner and one who has sold over 15 million copues worldwide, you would think that she deserves more respect than that.

Telling Kelly Clarkson to sing a song that was done by Lindsay Lohan, you can't get any lower than that!

I'm happy that she stood up to Clive. As a fan, I will support her more.

Ron D.

I think Kelly is a wonderful singer.
She is one of the very best around today.
My advise to her would have been listen to what Mr. Davis had to say.
He is a great songman and the best record company president there has ever been.
He has helped many an artist achieve stardom and stay on top.
Kelly is young and needs the guidence of someone like him and would do well to pay attention to what he has to say.
I wish Kelly the best and hope she does not regret her decision.

Classylady

Kelly Clarkson cd is going to FLOP!!! She's a fat cow. She look like a man in heels. He was trying to save her the embarrassment!!!! The truth.

Meanie

Where Clive may have once been relevent, he's an old dog now. Past his shelf life. Not to mention he and his Arista partnership screwed people like the Bay City Rollers out of millions in royalties. He's far from perfect.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7