"Idol" Censorship? P!nk Told to Change Lyrics

5/9/2007 2:02 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

P!nk"American Idol" may be able to tell their contestants what they can and can't sing, but they can't censor P!nk!

P!nk's pre-taped performance of her song "Who Knew" is scheduled to air tonight on "Idol" (after being bumped from the "Idol Gives Back" charity episode), but TMZ has learned that the pop star was originally set to sing her current racy hit, "U + Ur Hand."

We're told when the "Idol" powers-that-be realized the song made references to self-love, they asked P!nk to alter the lyrics to make them more appropriate for the "family-friendly" show. You know, like an exhumed Elvis! Well-placed sources tell TMZ that P!nk wasn't willing to compromise her artistic integrity (you go girl!) and agreed to sing her last single, "Who Knew," instead.

If "Idol" really wanted to protect audiences, there's only one person they should have censored -- Sanjaya!

An "Idol" rep had no comment. A call to P!nk's rep was not immediately returned.

Keri

I'm glad P!nk decided to sing a different song instead of changing the lyrics. I love both songs, so I'm glad. P!nk rocks!

Thepinkdeeva

I have no opinion of Pink's music one way or the other, I can see AI's stance on the family-friendly lyrics, as I have a 12yr old daughter that doesnt need to know about that kind of self love yet. However, good for Pink that she settled it like an adult without changing what she believes in. She believes in her song the way it is and no one should change that. But she respected AI enough to not do anythin inapproprate on their show. Good Job Pink!

Jennifer and Vaness

Pink rocks!! LoL for the Sanjaya comment. It is soooo true!! He should have been censored cuz he sucks hairy ass and EVERYONE knows it.

JESSICA

ANOTHER BITCH WHOSE FAME IS FADING.....WONDER WHY...SHE CAN'T SING...SHE LOOKS LIKE SOME GAY MAN IN DRAG...AND SOMEONE OUTTA KNOCK THAT EGOTISTICAL BITCH BACK DOWN TO THE GUTTER SHE CAME FROM. WILL DEFINATELY MISS AI WHEN THIS HO IS ON!

JESSICA

IS PINK A MAN? SHE SURE HAS THE BODY OF A LITTLE BOY AND THE FACE OF JAKE LAMOTTA...SHE HAS TO BE A TRANSEXUAL...TOO MANLY LOOKING...AND LOOK AT THE WIMP THAT MARRIED HIM ER..HER...JUST ANOTHER HANGERONER TIL THGIS BITCH DECIDES IF SHES A MAN OR NOT...I REALLY THINK SHE IS A SEX CHANGE.....

Lenn K.

It's really funny growing up in the 60's and 70's how doing things to piss off the old folks isn't really that funny now. I look back at all those rebels, well most are dead or wish they were, and the others life haven't been to kind to them. So Pink go ahead and be a rebel see ya in 10 years!!!!

Boy Howdy

I think that perhaps the Sanjiya comment was not in reference to his style but to his choice of songs. We watched one of the shows and his song was about liking "dirty girls" and that is why 'I like you." I thought at the time that that was a little inappropriate for a family show. However, the world is changing faster than I can keep up with, I'm just glad my daughters are women now!

Shan

There is too much trash on TV already and my six year old son watches the show. The song she ended up singing was beautiful. So, save the other for an older audience if she wants to sing it somewhere. Idol is a family show.

ONE WHO KNOWS

YOU KNOW?
THE COMMERCIALS AIRED DURING THE AI SHOW ARE TERRIBLY RACY!

WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO WATCH IT WITH YOUR KIDS?

VICTORIA'S SECRET COMMERCIALS ARE ALL OVER THE PLACE IN THAT TIME SLOT!!

NO--DO NOT BRAND AI AS A FAMILY ORIENTED SHOW. IT JUST ISN'T!!

Hello Kitty

He hunts.. get over it !

She might not have been Justin Timbersnots opening act if she had showed up and received tons of free press.

I still think her song " U+Ur Hand" sounds a lot like Vixen's "Edge of a Broken Heart".

SP

I don't think it is censorship to request a family friendly song from an artist. YOU GO AMERICAN IDOL!!!!!!!!. There are TOO many shows out there now that are family unfriendly. That probably has a lot to do with why TV viewership is down. I know that there are a lot of shows I turn off when my kids are watching. Or TV stays on Boom (old cartoons) or TV Land. Even Nick shows some stuff not good for kids. We wonder why young people have no respect for others or themselves and this is why. I don't consider Pink the best role model for any young person. Lets bring back movies and Tv shows that the WHOLE family can watch together. It has been proven that G movies make just as much if not more money than R or PG-13 (which would have been R rated in my youth) so why not make more? Look at Akon. Acting like he is having sex with a 14 year old. I know he says he did not know how old she was, but come on we were not born yesterday. This is the thought pattern of stars & poloticians today. I did not know I did anything wrong at the time I was doing it. I have no morals or respect for others. I am sorry I got caught. Even though I still do not admit I was doing anything wrong. Come on AMerica wake up. Would you want your daughter to be the one in Akons show??

Millz

Oh good lord! This is coming from a channel that isn't so "family friendly". I LOVE Pink! She is very outspoken and a very talented artist. Let her have her way! She's better than half this pop trash out there!

Layla

w00t! Gotta love P!nk. I love her personality and she's not willing to change anything for anybody. And U+Ur Hand really shows off her personality and it shows off reality. Guys who want you for sex. And that song should not be altered in any way. None. Period. And how the hell would she alter it anyway? "It's just you and your beer tonight"? Hell no.

Great she just changed songs instead of altering.

JESSICA

36. I still can't believe that she turned down the offer to sing at Prince William's Birthday.

He hunts.. get over it !

Posted at 5:28AM on May 10th 2007 by Hello Kitty

she turned down the Prince because he thought she was a wild pig and took a shot at her.....she was singing and The Prince thought two wild pigs were mating, he looked behind a bush and lo and behold there was Pink Pig oinking away as her Slavepig husband was getting screwed by this Pink PIg with both genitelias.

JESSICA

34. NUMBER 12, ALSO KNOWN AS JENN----

IT IS OBVIOUS YOU HAVE NO SELF RESPECT, AND THAT YOU ARE NOT A REAL LADY.

I THINK I HEARD YOUR PIMP CALLING YOU............

Posted at 2:23AM on May 10th 2007 by ONE WHO KNOWS

youre mistaken he was calling yo mama, they are trying to figure out which TRICK was your daddy

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments