"Lost" Diary -- The Man Behind the Curtain

5/10/2007 1:12 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Hey, it's Daniel from TMZ here, back with another edition of the "Lost" Diary.

Have I mentioned how awesome you guys are? I've got two reasons. First of all, you got my back. Someone posted a comment about the Henry Gale/Ben thing, and there were comments galore defending me. I thought about relenting and just calling him Ben, but then one person wrote: "If Daniel ever starts calling Henry Gale 'Ben,' I will cry. It's now a point of honor." Amen to that, brutha.

The other thing I love is that you guys have quietly formed a great little community of "Lost" fans here, and I think we need to do more with it. More on that later on in the article.

For all you "Lost" Diary newbies, here's how it goes. I gather with a group of friends watching "Lost," writing what happens on the show as it happens, and throwing in my two cents along the way. This week the crew is Ari, Lauren, Marisa, April and Matt. Let's roll:

10:00 -- I'm a guy, so I will never fully understand the rigors of childbirth, but I have to assume that giving birth in the jungle doesn't help matters.
Lost
10:02 -- "Call him Benjamin." -- Emily. So I guess Henry Gale wasn't really born on the island.

10:03 -- It's Henry Gale's birthday! And I didn't get him anything. What do you get Henry Gale anyway? Tivo?

10:04 -- Uh oh, Richard screwed up and the tape recording is missing. Meanwhile, Locke returns to the Others camp with his father's dead body on his back? Um, where do you want me to put this, Henry Gale?

10:05 -- "So why don't you start at the beginning." -- Locke.

10:07 -- Alright, first question of the night: Who is Jacob? Better yet, is there even a Jacob?

10:08 -- The fact that Locke is calling out Henry Gale about there being no Jacob makes me immediately believe that there is. Henry Gale doesn't lie ... except when he does.

10:09 -- Is the island a research facility or a Club Med?

10:10 -- Alright, so Henry Gale had to be at least 10 years old when we see him get to the island -- he HAS to remember coming there. So is he lying to everyone when he says he was born there or does he just not remember?
Lost
10:11 -- "There are properties on this island that exist nowhere else on Earth." -- Dr. Marvin Candle. No kidding, doc.

10:12 -- "Roger Workman" is the "name" of the corpse that Hurley found in the horrible van episode. But that wasn't his name; it was his name and title. Hurley found Henry Gale's father's dead body. Creepy.

10:13 -- Mikhail is freaking out about Naomi being on the island, and so is Henry Gale.

10:14 -- "He and I are going to see Jacob." -- Locke. Did you see the looks on everyone's faces when Locke said that? Wow.

10:15 -- Locke's beating of Mikhail is interesting for one reason: no one stopped him. Not even when Henry Gale asked them to. Very telling.

10:18 -- Alex feels that Locke needs a gun if he's going to see Jacob. I wonder if we'll find out tonight how Henry Gale came to be her "dad."

10:19 -- Dharma Middle School is interrupted by the Hostiles. Another possible question we might get answered tonight.

10:20 -- So Henry Gale's dad was a prick; no real surprise. I hope we see a little of how he rose to power and not just the kid Henry Gale. Not as interesting. But I guess there will always be more Henry Gale flashbacks.

10:21 -- Is Kate's only purpose on the show to say and do stupid things?

10:22 -- "This isn't a man you go and see. This is a man who summons you." -- Henry Gale.

10:23 -- Did you see the sly smile Locke flashed Mikhail as he walked past him? Classic. By the way, remember when I said Henry Gale never lies except when he does? I think he's totally lying about taking Locke to see Jacob. He WANTS Locke to meet Jacob. Better yet, Jacob WANTS to meet Locke.

10:27 -- Lil' Henry Gale has a girlfriend -- how cute. She'll be dead by the end of this episode, most likely by the Hostiles.

10:28 -- "Kinda hard to celebrate on the day you killed your mom." -- Henry Gale's dad. Father of the Year material right there.

10:29 -- Run, Henry Gale, run!

10:30 -- "It's not time yet, Benjamin." -- Henry Gale's mom. Very "Shining"-esque, don't you think?

10:31 -- OK, seriously, someone just play the damn tape already.

10:32 -- No one trusts Jack, Jack doesn't trust anyone. Why is everyone so paranoid? With everything that has happened, don't they have more -- A LOT MORE -- to worry about than each other?

10:37 -- I see it all happening before it happens. Lil Henry Gale goes looking for his mom, deactivates the sonic fence, the Hostiles come in and kill most everyone. Did the Hostiles (aka The Island) conjure up Henry Gale's mom's ghost so that all this would happen? Poor Lil Henry Gale. Let's see if I'm right.

10:38 -- What's with Henry Gale and rabbits?

10:39 -- "Mom?" -- Lil' Henry Gale. Um, no, that's Richard.

10:40 -- OK, so did Henry Gale join the Hostiles, overthrow the Dharma Initiative and create the Others? And doesn't Henry Gale seem like he should be older than Richard?

10:41 -- "We're here." -- Henry Gale.

10:42 -- Time for final Jacob predictions. My friend at work thinks that somehow Locke is Jacob. If he turns out to be right, I will explain his theory later. If he's wrong, I will make fun of him tomorrow.

10:43 -- "Are you sure this is what you want?" Henry Gale to Locke. Um, yeah, of course this is what we want!!!

10:44 -- Oh my God. Henry Gale is crazy.

10:45 -- Or is he? We went frame by frame through the scene and you can see "someone" there. WTF?!?!? So many new questions ...
Lost
10:46 -- "That was Jacob." -- Henry Gale. Seems like a pleasant guy.

10:50 -- So Henry Gale knows he wasn't born on the island. At least he's not completely insane.

10:51 -- So Henry Gale's great Dharma education allowed him to grow up and become a janitor?

10:52 -- If I never see another blue van again ...

10:53 -- Henry Gale is checking his watch. My theory about him and the Hostiles wasn't quite right, but he's definitely about to lead the revolt.

10:54 -- R.I.P. Henry Gale's dad. Did Henry Gale have to kill his dad to prove himself like Locke had to?

10:55 -- R.I.P. everyone. The Hostiles = the Others.

10:56 -- Henry Gale is explaining how he chose sides and helped to "purge" the Dharma Initiative. And somewhere along the line he became King of the Others. It would be interesting to see how he usurped Alpert for control. Jacob, perhaps?

10:57 -- Wait, I'm sorry, did Henry Gale just shoot Locke?

10:58 -- "He said, 'Help me.'" -- Locke. Wow, did you see Henry Gale's face just then? He really, and I mean REALLY, wants to be the only person who can talk to Jacob.

10:59 -- "Well I certainly hope he helps you, John." -- Henry Gale.
Lost
Whenever I watch an episode of "24," and Jack Bauer is put in a life or death situation/cliffhanger, I always laugh. Really, they're going to kill Jack Bauer? Come on. So is John Locke an unkillable character on "Lost"? Are certain characters easier to kill of than others? Yes and Yes. Let me explain:

Locke is one of the two most indispensable characters on "Lost" (Henry Gale being the other). Those two characters, more so than any others on the show, are connected with what is happening on the island. They are the ones that are most rooted in the entire essence of the show; the island itself. Juliet, Desmond and Hurley are up there, Sayid and Sun, too. But those two are the heart and soul of the show right now.

And the opposite is true for so many other characters. Charlie, for example, has nothing to do with anything (which is the main reason I hate him). Is there any mystery to him? Anything unsolved? Does he bring anything to the table? And most importantly, if we just lifted him off the show, would anything be missing? He is completely and utterly dispensable. So is Claire, Jin, Kate, Sawyer (sorry Lauren) and in a lot of ways even Jack.

**MILD SPOILER ALERT. READ THE NEXT PARAGRAPH AT YOUR OWN RISK**

From what I've heard (try as I might to avoid it), five characters die before the end of the year. Charlie, Claire, Jin, Kate and Sawyer are the most dispensable characters, as I just mentioned. Could it be them?

**OK, YOU CAN COME BACK NOW**

So in summary, Jacob will "help" Locke. The show needs him.

On to Jacob now -- who or what is he? Why couldn't Locke hear what he was saying to Henry Gale? Why couldn't Henry Gale hear what he was saying to Locke? What was that powder around Jacob's home? Is he trapped there somehow by Henry Gale so that no one else can talk to him? How many questions can I ask about a character we saw for about a second and only said two words?

I feel like I learned a lot this week, a lot of new questions were certainly raised, and some good ones were answered. But, like I said, I don't think Locke is really dead, so the cliffhanger doesn't really do much for me. I give the episode an A.

So here is my question to you this week: Who do you think are the two most indispensable characters on the show? You already know my answer.

So as I mentioned, I love the little community we've got going here. So for the last two weeks of the show, I am going to try and write a second "Lost" column, which will run the next three Mondays (assuming you guys are into it). The idea for the column is a mailbag. I'll take some things from the comments here at TMZ, but I mainly want you guys to email me questions and we'll do a sort of Q&A thing. They don't have to be hardcore "Lost" questions, but let's try and stay on topic a little bit.

You can email me at questions@thelostdiary.com. I will post the article on my personal website for the "Lost" Diary, which is simply www.thelostdiary.com. Look for it Monday morning. (Ed.'s note: Click here for the article.)

See you next week.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Rich

If Locke dies before Charlie, I don't know what I'll do. Maybe I'll take a dump on jack's forehead.

Victoria

First off.......let me say there is NO WAY Locke is dead...ok maybe that's just my hope & prayer...and....I officially DETEST Ben.

How does Richard not age....I REALLY want to know!

Thank goodness someone put up those frame by frame pics of Jacob sitting in the chair....WHO is he???? Some are saying it's Locke, Jacks Dad, Kelvin......but the writers specifically told us it's someone we've NOT seen before.

Did I mention I DETEST Ben?

nicky

Now thats what I am talking about. LOST is back. Loved last nights show.....
I am addicted again!

jana

Daniel:
YOU ARE THE BEST...i told my husband last night that this was your night for Henry & John, and all the love that you didn't have to SEE OR HEAR Charlie! Plus i hate to say, the attractions show Desmond telling Charlie he HAS to die now! I think it' s be/c of you!
Love love love to read your column! Keep it up!! BEST EPISODE, LOVED IT!

Brice

Hey Daniel....I am still a little stunned by last nights episode to even begin to comment on it and will probably need to watch it a couple of more times before it all sinks in. This is exactly what makes this show so great. Just want to commend you on your Lost posts. The only two thingsI am sure to do each week religiously is to be in front of my TV on Wednesday nights and read your posts the next morning. I visit a lot of Lost sites and this is by far the best blog.

Two characters I feel are indispensable....Rose and Bernard. They are still on the show but never seen and the writers have mentioned they will be back.....Im guessing to die.

Lostie

One of the best episodes I have ever seen. I just regained my love for Lost. Anyway I agree with you, Locke and Benry are the key components of this show. Maybe it is Benry's turns to die and Locke to become the Emperor of the Island. ;)

mowntandew

I told my wife in the third episode of Lost, season 1, that if they ever kill John Locke, I'm going to stop watching the show. He is absolutely indispensable. Last night was John Locke: American Badass, whom we haven't really seen since season 1. Did you see the way he smiled at the cowering and bloody Mikael while peeling the fruit with a knife!
I want all the regular characters to live and get along, get their own individual brand of redemption from their crappy pre-island lives, and live happily ever after....I still miss Mr. Eko.
I'm also wondering if Rose and Bernard will ever appear again.
And if Michael and Walt will reappear...
Come to think of it, the only character I don't miss is Ana Lucia and the two people they buried alive.

TT

This show is offically a total joke. Patch eye man said "lucky the fence wasnt set to lethal" Too bad the fence isn't set to lethal for this show. A spirt/ghost/entity call Jacob, give me a break. I think the writers read this blog each week to see what they need to correct/discredit for the following week. HEROS has this show beat hands down. I hope "Lost" gets Lost.

Howard

I don't think Locke is dead.. He was still moving when Henry left him. Also "Jacob" was telling Locke to help him, so maybe they will help each other?

Speaking of who will doe, did you catch the preview for next week, that Desmond told Charlie that he needs to die? So maybe you will get your wish :)

Also looks like Juliet and John knows about the kidnap all along, they just didn't want to tell the Losties, so that they can keep from information leaking back to the Others. Maybe they are setting up a trap for the Others.

I don't think they did a good job on time sequence for Henry. He was a little boy first, then he becomes little older, which looks the same as now, haha! Need better makeup artist!

When Henry killed his dad, how did the Dharma people at village died too? from gas in the air? so Henry was a Dharma people, who turned against them, and joined the natives? very evil.. I think he has two personality, somehow.

Anyway, this episode was okay, not very good, and not bad, since it answer some questions. I give it a 8 out of 10.

xlm

Zap2it.com has a largely ignored interview with Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse on their website. It's mostly about the announcement of three more seasons of 16 episodes each, but there is some new information about the type of characters who die in the finale:

So you're not going to tell me who dies.

Cuse: Well, at least five people die.

Lindelof: But, you know, not like five major, major characters. But a couple of major characters.

Cuse: I think probably if you're a close viewer of the show you could name all five people.

Katey

Oh my gosh, a total A episode.

And oh my gosh, YES PLEASE MATE, a 2nd Lost column is literally something I was wishing for about three days ago. I try and spread the Daniel-love wherever I find Losties.

I agree with you about the two most indispensable characters being Locke and Benry. I didn't even get upset last night when Locke got shot - well, not very. Because I just knew there was no way that could be the end of him - particularly (as I'm sure you have heard) we are signed up for three more (and no more than three more) seasons of Lost.

Charlie, as much as I think he is dreamy, really isn't an essential character as far as the island goes. Or is he? Maybe we don't know that yet! I disagree about Claire - she's Jack's sister, and I still think there is more to Christian Shepherd than we have seen. Guess he isn't Jacob after all (or is he? that's what I love about Lost -after every statement of fact you can say 'Or is he/she/it?'. It's so fun!)

Kate can bite me. Sawyer, I think, has more to come. Jin we can do without, but not Sun.

I heard the 'five people' theory too - obviously they mean present time, since a couple hundred folks bit the big one last night in the past tense.

Oh, and now don't you feel silly for admonishing Hurley's van excursion for not having anything to do with the plot! That tied back in quite nicely, thank you very much.

All in all, an A from me as well. Catch you next week (but hopefully sooner!) brutha.

Cheri

They could kill of Charlie or Claire and I wouldn't miss them. Even Desmond I wouldn't miss. They could kill Henry (Ben) too and I wouldn't miss him but I realize the show would. Locke - OH no he's not dead - at least I hope not.

It also seems that Hurley could be gone and it wouldn't make much different. Of course the 5 who die people probably won't be main characters - maybe 1 to make it interesting I suppose.

I guess we'll see :-)

Amanda

This was a great episode! But now I have so many questions???!!!!! But first did anyone else catch the connection of little Henry Gale's girl friend "Annie"? That is the name of the other rebel on the island, Henry Gale's daughters mom - Annie. So apparently she had to escape before the dharma initiative was purged. So then she hooked back up with Henry Gale, but then later escaped from them to???

And then there is Richard, guy hasn't aged one day since little Ben got to the island? starange. Also there is the appearance of little Ben's mom who is supposed to be dead. WTF? I am leaning more to this island being puratory or something for dead people. And Henry Gale is the leader b/c he is the only living person on it!!

I just don't know - can't wait until next week!

Laura

Daniel,

I have been waiting all morning for your post! You were the first thing I thought of when I saw this epi was a Ben flashback. I was like, "Daniel is freaking out right now!!!"

Till next Wednesday,
Laura

luvlost

I just knew you would love this ep, Daniel!! I thought perhaps it would get an A++, there was soooo much Locke/Henry interaction, where do you begin? As for the two most indispensable characters--Sayid and Locke. I love that Sayid is the new go-to guy and Locke is obvious. Does anyone think that Juliette and Jack being gone had anything to do with Rousseu (sp?) getting the dynamite last week? Last night is precisely why I watch Lost!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments