Angry Avril Responds to Rip-Off Claims

7/7/2007 1:22 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Earlier this week, TMZ reported that attitudinal Avril Lavigne's song "Girlfriend" was a rip off of a 1979 song by the Rubinoos called "I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend." Avril's management flatly denied the band's claims, and now Avril's called BS too.

Writes Avril:

"You may have heard some news that two guys who wrote for some band from the 1970s I have never in my life heard of called the "Rubinoos" are trying to sue me. They have a song called "I Want To Be Your Boyfriend" that has no musical similarities to the song "Girlfriend" that Luke Gottwald and I wrote together. They claim that a small part of the lyrics are the same and are saying that I took these from them. I had never heard this song in my life and their claim is based on 5 words! All songs share similar lyrics and emotions. As humans we speak one language.

Off the top of my head, two other songs that I can immediately think of with this type of lyric are "Hey, hey, you, you get off of my cloud" by the Rolling Stones and "Hey little girl I want to be your boyfriend" by the Ramones. Simply put, I have been falsely accused of ripping their song off. Luke and I have done nothing wrong and there is no merit to their claim."

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Dan Farrell

'As humans we speak one language." Wow. So Deep. Too bad it's a load of crap.

And then she does the worst thing possible- she quotes two OTHER songs she stole from-
"Hey, hey, you, you get off of my cloud"
"Hey little girl I want to be your boyfriend"

She would list more but that's all she stole from.

Narko Nerko

Who cares - She's BUTT ugly!

get out of jail free

HAS SHE EVEN LISTENED TO THE SONG???. I HAD NEVER HEARD THE OTHER BANDS, BUT COME ON THEY ARE BASICLLY THE SAME SONG!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES, SOMETIMES STRANGE INSTANCES WHERE A PARTY DOES NOT KNOW ANOTHER PARTY AND DUPLICATES THEIR WORK UNINTENTIONALLY, BUT EVEN IF THAT IS THE CASE SHE SHOULD FESS UP TO THEM SOUNDING A LOT ALIKE!!!!

MJ deserves better!

She probably didn't write the lyrics to the song anyway. Her people who stole the music shoved it in front of her face and said, "Here sing this."

Ginna

DUDE! Is she delusional? The two songs sound exactly the same. Not just lyrically, but instrumentally as well. The Rolling Stones song sounds nothing like her song. Nor does the Ramones song. The Rubinoos song sounds the same as hers.

The dumb broad doesn't get that just because SHE hasn't heard it before doesn't mean nobody else she's working with has. I hope she gets sued for every penny she has, just because I'm tired of her going "Just cuz I haven't heard their song, it means MY song is original!"

The Rubinoos don't have to be a multi platinum selling band to have a hit single. She may never have heard of them, but other people have, and for that, she's screwed. And her "musicologist" is tone deaf.

Charlotte

It’s that celebrity self entitlement at work again. She can steal and how dare anyone question her. Like most celebs she needs to get over herself.

ahumphrey

BOTH SONGS SUCK ASS & SHE IS A POSER!

jesus

Luke Gottwald knew about this song and ripped it, it happnes all the time in this buisness. what ever hapened to creativity? you just don't see it anymore with these new artists they would rather rip a few lines and a melody than actually sit down and write something completely original you just don't see that anymore these days and it's sad : (

Charlotte

She looks like a disease ridden pig. Her and her husband are a perfect match, they are both nasty.

Hey cool little music symbols #6.

smilesarefree

boy, who is her legal counsel. She is actually help build the case against herself
She is simply increasing the final settlement amount with this written outburst.

Zenophobe Alien

Unorigional and very mean spirited little brat. Admit it. She ripped the band off

He's Boring now

Kinda like George Harrisons My Sweet Lord and the Chiffones He's So Fine. No, not really--he had a proven track record of writing a myriad of his own original songs and melodies----Avril, I am not so sure of. Seems her songs have been manufactured in a Pop Rock Think Room by Corporate types trying to do a BackStreet Boys kind of thing---all in the name of money.

She's one step above Milli Vanilli.

Rebecca

The Mickey mouse club band covered that song first. If she didn't hear of the Roobino's maybe she heard of The Party

Mikey

LIER - its a rip off and everyone knows it.......

is it possible that she's even dumber than paris hilton?

cpr update

Maybe it's her co-writer that was influenced by this other song during the writing of theirs. There is NO doubt that the songs DO sound alike. Words different, or not, it's the same tune, same idea (but in reverse), same beat! Her letter makes me think she thinks people are dumb. Either that, or she really hasn't heard the song and her co-writer is to blame.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments