Thandie Newton's Bulimia Battle

8/5/2007 12:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

"Pursuit of Happyness" star Thandie Newton battled bulimia for a year.

The tiny actress told People that her eating disorder started when she was a teen ballet dancer, and that she ate "nothing but cottage cheese" in order to stay thin.

Years later, after a string of emotionally abusive relationships, Newton had an eating disorder relapse. Her bulimia was so severe that she has "scars on my knuckles from where I put my fingers down my throat."

It wasn't until she went to a therapist years later that she "made the connection between shame and self abuse."

Newton has been married for the last nine years and has two daughters, Ripley, 6, and Nico, 2.

Sherry

Ratboy...how would like someone to say the same filthy things about
your mother that you said about his actress? By the way Thandie's
film made by Oprah Winfrey "Beloved" was beautiful and she was so
pretty too. She was very impressive in that film.

Tina

I knew it, She is beautiful but i always wondered how come she was so small and delicate looking, She still looks great and i hope she will be ok.

skinnymomma

Really? I am naturally a size 00 which a BMI of 16 and i am HEALTHY and a mother of 4! so skinny people CAN procreate. It is sad when one being VERY thin comes from an eating disorder, (which you are obviously pretty ignorant about) But to say something to the effect that very thin people and procreation dosnt make sense to you? What? we shouldnt procreate? or you don't get HOW we can? or don't get why somebody would WANT to procreate with us?
An eating disorder is a very serious matter but not all thin people get that way by means of a eating disorder ( Nicole Richie denies she does) and when thin people are given a hard time , it is size descrimination. It is more universally acceptable to pick on the skinny girl than the fat one because there are MORE fat people in the U.S. and slowly fat people are becoming the "norm". Regaurdless of if you're "too fat" or "too thin" if you have an eating disorder you should get help , and if you natually tend to gravitate to either end of the spectrum, as long as you are healthy who cares what size you are...

10. I think she's had a problem for more than a year. I saw her at sundance 10 years and she looked like a crack addict and this was before everyone started looking that way too. She was ahead of the curve. She's still stick. I still don't understand how she and Nicole Richie can procreate

Rebecca

I can't believe some of you people don't know her. She had starring roles in "Mission Impossible 2", "Beloved' the Best Picture Oscar winner "Crash" and had a stint in the TV show "ER". She has always been tiny but, I'm glad she came to grips with her eating disorder and is better now.

michelle

I think Thandie is beautiful and I have enjoyed her films. She is a great actress and I wish her the best during her recovery and the courage and strength to keeping on track. Bulemia and anorexia are both terrible diseases for anyone to have to suffer thru alone and especially in the critical public eye.

stilleating

Right on karen.........nobody has this DISEASE for just one year..and u don't have to live in hollywood either

kcp

I loved comment lucky number 7 from the TMZ staff. We do need more listeners and quality debate......maybe Jimmy Carter would officiate if he could remember where he left his socks.......

CONGRATS THANDIE!!

First, CONGRATS TO YOU THANDIE IF YOU READ THIS!! YOU ARE A FANTASTIC ACTRESS!! AND A DEVOTED PARTNER AND MOTHER!! YOUR WORK IS ALWAYS INCREDIBLE!! AND FOR THOSE WHO DON'T " KNOW WHO SHE IS" THANDIE HAS AN IMPRESSIVE BODY OF WORK......APART FROM MOVIES THAT HAVE ALREADY BEEN MENTIONED, SHE ALSO STARRED IN BELOVED ( WITH OPRAH WINFREY)!! DO YOU PEOPLE WATCH MOVIES AT ALL? ANYWAY......IT'S ALWAYS WONDERFUL TO HEAR SOMETHING GREAT ABOUT ANYONE CELEBRITY OR NOT, BUT IT'S WONDERFUL THAT SHE HAS OVERCOME THIS PROBLEM!!........EVEN MORE SO SINCE WOMEN AND MEN OF ALL AGES SUFFER THIS TERRIBLE DESEASE, IT'S GREAT THAT SHE CAN BE AN INSPIRATION TO TONS OF PEOPLE OUT THERE!! WAY TO GO THANDIE!! GOD BLESS!!.........I DON'T USUALLY COMMENT ON BLOGS, BUT SHE SEEMS TO BE A GREAT PERSON, AND WITH ALL THE NEGATIVITY OUT THERE IT'S RARE WHEN WE HEAR SOMETHING GOOD......SO AGAIN CONGRATULATIONS AND NEVER FORGET WITH GOD YOU CAN DO ANYTHING!!

kim

She was in the movie "Crash", Oprah Winfrey's "Beloved" and Mission Impossible 2 with Tom Cruise.

shwatson

Someone posted that she had a role in Ashton Kutcher's movie, "Guess Who?" That wasn't Thandie Newton, it was Zoe Saldana.

Bob B.

Someone thinks I am an idiot for claiming this is not a "true" disease.

That's typical for unintelligent people to believe.

First of all, can you catch bulimia or anorexia from someone, no!

Do you have to give it to yourself, yes!

Giving yourself a health issue is mental. Becoming addicted to anything starts out mental. There are even questions on if alcoholism really exists.

If you are addicted to crack, they don't call you a crackaholic. They say you are a drug addict. They don't give it a disease name.

If you are a healthy normal person and boom one day your doctor says you have bone cancer, that's a REAL disease.

My girlfriend has thrown up before and she says its all mental and not a real disease. Quit believing Hollywood thinking this is a real disease people, it's not. It's a state of mind. You wanna be thin, go workout and learn real nutrition and how to keep your metabolism fast. Throwing up might get you thin, but when you start eating you are going to balloon right up because your body is in starvation mode all the time. Go read some nutrition books people.

robert

Rosie is a BIG FAT PIG!

~Lori~

eM,
Think about it for a second. If she was sticking her fingers down her throat multiple times a day for say a year...the repeated trauma (hitting the roof of the mouth, back of the throat, and even sometimes teeth) to the thin skin lining her fingers/knuckles would cause erosion of that skin. That erosion wouldn't have time to heal properly...but when it DID heal...it would most likely scar. It's plausible.
I'm a Physician Assistant and have seen this with some of my old patients who were bulimic.

karen

Bubsy, it amazes me that an idiot like you could have a girlfriend. But then I wonder how does a blow-up doll vomit anyway? I am college-educated, minoring in psychology. No, you cannot catch bulimia, nor can you catch diabetes. At one time, I had both. You need to read up on the disease. It has nothing to do with Hollywood - it affects millions around the world. I guess we will have to agree to disagree but your comments are so ridiculous I had to respond.

FYI, I do work out, eat healty and my weight has not ballooned. Unfortunately, I fear you remain an idiot. Thank God you cannot catch that!

New Yorker

Thandie has been around for a long time, starting out in "Flirting" with Nicole Kidman in the early 90's & many other wonderful films. You don't have to be tabloid fodder to be a fine actress.