Rapper Pimp C Found Dead in Hollywood Hotel Room

12/4/2007 4:12 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Pimp CUPDATE: Homicide detectives are now at the Mondrian Hotel investigating the death.

Pimp C, real name Chad Butler -- and one half of the rap duo UGK, was found dead in a hotel room this morning. He was 33.

L.A. County Fire responded to a 911 call at the Mondrian Hotel, located on trendy Sunset Strip in Hollywood. They arrived to his sixth floor hotel room to find him dead in bed.

UGK is best known for appearing on the Jay-Z track "Big Pimpin'" in 2000, and more recently with Outkast on the song "International Player's Anthem (I Choose You)." Pimp C had just performed with fellow rapper Too Short at the "House of Blues" in L.A. on Saturday night.

UPDATE: Jive Records has issued the following statement regarding Pimp C's death:

"It is with great sadness that Jive Records announces the passing of Chad "Pimp C" Butler, a member of the celebrated rap duo UGK (Underground Kingz). Jive Records' President and CEO Barry Weiss states: "We mourn the unexpected loss of Chad. He was truly a thoughtful and kind-hearted person. He will be remembered for his talent and profound influence as a pioneer in bringing southern rap to the forefront. He will be missed and our prayers remain with his family and Bun B. I've known Chad since he was 18, and we loved him dearly and he was a cherished member of the Jive family."

Born in Port Arthur, Texas, Butler's father was a trumpet player who played professionally with Solomon Burke. Outside of his father, the 33-year old rapper's influences varied, ranging from Bobby Bland, Jimmy McGriff, the 1960's Motown artists to Run DMC. Butler met his inseparable partner Bernard "Bun B" Freeman in high school where they formed UGK. In 1992, the duo signed to Jive Records and went on release a total of eight albums for the label. They earned their highest achievement earlier this year when their most recent album, UGK (Underground Kingz), debuted in the number one position on the album pop chart. According to the New York Times, UGK "helped inspire a generation of Southern hip-hop stars, from OutKast to Lil Wayne."

Bun B is not available for comment at this time."

DJ Smoke KC

RIP To the legend Pimp C. To those who don't know who he was, he entertained rap listeners for the past 15 years. Keep in mind that its ignorant to disrespect anyone they don't know, especially the dead. A lot of us are tired of hearing about Heath Ledger, whose claim to fame is a gay cowboy movie.

lashawn burt

RIP PIMP

narboo06

rip pimp c, you will be missed and my prayers go out to your fam amd friends

Lovin Me

GOME BUT 4GOTIN

Lovin Me

sorry i misspelled my words! im from Houston! so no disrespect ment (GONE BUT NOT 4 GOTIN') THE GOOD DIE YOUNG!!

Sharron

R.I.P Pimp C, my mouth drop when it was flashed here in Washington, DC. Keep your head Bun B . . .he would want you to keep making music. Tears came to my eyes reading some poems people wrote. Family and friends this is hard and you will get through this ordeal. God giveth and he taketh away.

texas made

man,i moved to mexico, i went to cleveland tx,high school,we used to play port arthur & thats when i met Chad & Bernard(i still have the demo tape i bought from them),we are the same age & today i found out that he died last month ago,he will be very missed & to all that dont have something nice to say about him,burn in hell!!! RIP pimp-c( and all other southern rappers that are not with us)
ps: undergroung kingz 4ever,bun-b keep your head up man. 3RD COAST 4LIFE

Lonnie Punani

" I'm in the game, live by the game and in the game i'm a die" R.I.P C.

SGTMAJOR

Please keep your ignorant comments to yourselves. If not out of respect for Chad's family, then at least to make yourself look a little less moronic.

mixedbeauty

Man i swere some of u guys are too ignorant...all these lil jokes and a great man whether u knew who he was or not is gone...ok so u dont know him dont ridicule him..what will happen when u pass? id hate to wonder well RIP PIMP C we love u down here in texas and all over the south a legend who was only trying to unite the peace between us all cause for those of u who knew him u would remmember his most famous quote the w/man wants it that way........

Stacy

Did you all know Pimp C died because of a hereditary heart condition, his grandmother died at the same age. I am lucky that a good friend of his named L.A. told me what really happened. I didn't know who Pimp C was either, but L.A. told me he had a wonderful family and was a great guy, he was L.A.'s best friend and business partner, L.A. was lucky enough to have spent his last weekend with him, he watched him perform at The House of Blues. Anyone that has enough talent to go as far as he did has got to have it go'in on! Rap is not my kind of music, but I bought and listen to his CD out of respect! I feel after reading some of these coments that people just don't realize how hurtful your words are, after all he was a person too, and one with great ambitions, more than I can say for the most of you.
My prayers go out to his family and friends, especially L.A.

ElPEY

R.I.P PImp C... tu nous manquera a tous. UGK a perdu sa meilleure moité...

Darv

Ah. Such a tragic loss.

Not really.

JENNIFER ANNISTON LITE

THIS IS THE SEASON FOR MUSIC PEOPLE THAT NO ONE HAS EVER HEARD OF TO DIE. DIDN'T SOME WHITE GUY FROM SOME 80"S GROUP DIE LAST WEEK?

HOLIDAY SEASON IS HARD.