Rapper Pimp C Found Dead in Hollywood Hotel Room

12/4/2007 4:12 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Pimp CUPDATE: Homicide detectives are now at the Mondrian Hotel investigating the death.

Pimp C, real name Chad Butler -- and one half of the rap duo UGK, was found dead in a hotel room this morning. He was 33.

L.A. County Fire responded to a 911 call at the Mondrian Hotel, located on trendy Sunset Strip in Hollywood. They arrived to his sixth floor hotel room to find him dead in bed.

UGK is best known for appearing on the Jay-Z track "Big Pimpin'" in 2000, and more recently with Outkast on the song "International Player's Anthem (I Choose You)." Pimp C had just performed with fellow rapper Too Short at the "House of Blues" in L.A. on Saturday night.

UPDATE: Jive Records has issued the following statement regarding Pimp C's death:

"It is with great sadness that Jive Records announces the passing of Chad "Pimp C" Butler, a member of the celebrated rap duo UGK (Underground Kingz). Jive Records' President and CEO Barry Weiss states: "We mourn the unexpected loss of Chad. He was truly a thoughtful and kind-hearted person. He will be remembered for his talent and profound influence as a pioneer in bringing southern rap to the forefront. He will be missed and our prayers remain with his family and Bun B. I've known Chad since he was 18, and we loved him dearly and he was a cherished member of the Jive family."

Born in Port Arthur, Texas, Butler's father was a trumpet player who played professionally with Solomon Burke. Outside of his father, the 33-year old rapper's influences varied, ranging from Bobby Bland, Jimmy McGriff, the 1960's Motown artists to Run DMC. Butler met his inseparable partner Bernard "Bun B" Freeman in high school where they formed UGK. In 1992, the duo signed to Jive Records and went on release a total of eight albums for the label. They earned their highest achievement earlier this year when their most recent album, UGK (Underground Kingz), debuted in the number one position on the album pop chart. According to the New York Times, UGK "helped inspire a generation of Southern hip-hop stars, from OutKast to Lil Wayne."

Bun B is not available for comment at this time."

brandy born out of acres home H-Town

u hoes are stupid, rest in peace pimp c you will never be for gotten....much love peace iwill see you again!

ga peach

Pimp C a legend that will truly be missed. As a UGK fan every since the first time i heard their record with Master P my heart dropped to the floor when i heard the news, i broke down in tears and fell to the floor as if I knew him personally My thoughts as well as prayers go out to the family. friends, and all the true UGK fans. As much as we miss him he wouldnt want us to be standing around sad but instead using this time to keep his name and music alive. To Bun B keep your head up. I know this for you is hard also cuz he was a brother to u but remember the fans got your back and will keep the name alive. I will love Pimp C unitl the day I leave this earth . Bun B u have all my love and support. UGK FAN UNITL THE END OF TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LHS C/O '92 P.A., Tx

Chad is hometown hero who defied the odds. He was a wonderful talent, classmate and friend. RIP Chad!

My condolences to his family and P.A., Tx...we mourn together, even those who have moved away.

K to the C

it is to bad another rapper is gone but with that said it make room for a new one, WESTSIDE!!!!!!

you know what it is..

some people are so rude and ignorant..if you don't have anything nice to say why even comment HATERS...don't be a hater just cause your lame and nobody knows or cares about you!!!HATERS
MUCH LOVE R.I.P. PIMP C. A LEGEND IN THE SOUTH..

HIpHopTorch

I'm almost certain that the people posting negative comments watch a lot of MTV.....No one mixed southern funk with rap better ...pioneer...RIP

LaToya

The wages of sin is death! No matter who you are and what you got!

donna

I am a true fan of Pimp C and I am disgusted at some of the comments people have posted. Whether you understand the music or not, have enough respect to keep the dumb remarks to yourself. He is and always will be an icon whether some people accept it or not. Gain some knowledge and then speak on it and stop wasting space with ignorant comments,

Donna

I can't believe people are making fun of his name...if you don't know who UGK is why are you even responding to the post? RIP Chad Butler aka Pimp C

Erasmus C. Brewer

Another Black Brother's gone unbeliveable

ima always hold ya down PIMP never gonna let ya go

MR.SMITH

SWEET JAMES JONES REST IN PEACE AND GIVE A SHOUT OUT TO DIRT DOG AND BIG PUN

pimp c'een dead at motel

who cares...

knukssapron

He Is One Of The Under Ground Kings. That Says It All!!!!
G's Up Pimp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

leah from memphis

HOW CAN SOME PEOPLE BE SO CRUEL?!? I DONT CARE IF YOU KNOW WHO PIMP C IS OR IF YOU DONT LIKE RAP THERE IS NO REASON FOR YOU KIDS TO SPEAK OF SOMEONE'S DEATH LIKE THAT! YES SOME WHITE FOLKS ARE DUMB AND THOSE HATEFUL COMENTS PROB. WERE FROM WHITE PEOPLE, BUT IM WHITE AND I WILL MISS PIMP'S MUSIC! R.I.P. HATERS LEAVE NOW!!

leah from memphis

OK I JUST READ MORE OF THE COMMENTS AND IT REALLY IS EMARESSING WHAT SOME RACIST PEOPLE SAY. FIRST OF ALL IF YOU DONT LKE HIP HOP OR PIMP C WHY THE HELL ARE YOU READING THE STORY, WHY ARE U WASTING UR TIME LEAVING COMENTS? GO READ ABOUT BRITTNEY NEGLECTING HER KIDS OR ANY OF THE OTHER COKE HEAD WHITE FOLKS IN THE MEDIA, U ARE NO ONE TO BE JUDGING AND UR STUPID COMMENTS ARENT GONNA CHANGE THE WAY CHAD' FANS FEEL, ALL ITS DOING IS PUTTING MORE ANGER AND STUPIDTY N THE WORLD, BUT I GUESS ITS OKAY TO BE HATEFUL AND A RACIST, BUT U DESERVE TO DIE BECAUSE U ARE A RAPPER? WTF THINK BEFORE U TYPE AND MAKE MY RACE LOOK PATHETIC TO EVERYONE- I PROMISE NOT ALL WHIE PEOPLE ARE STUPID AND HATEFULL!!! RIP CHAD R FAMILY AND FRIENDS ARE IN MY PRAYERS!

Previous 15 Comments | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments