Heath Ledger

is Dead

1/22/2008 6:40 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0122_ledger_ex_1-1TMZ has learned that 2006 Academy Award nominee Heath Ledger has died in NY.

He was found dead in his bed in one of his residences in Soho by his housekeeper at 3:35 PM ET today. Law enforcement sources tell TMZ they believe it was not a crime, adding that prescription pills were found near his body.

According to NYPD a masseuse arrived at Ledger's apartment and was let in by a housekeeper. When Ledger didn't answer his bedroom door, the housekeeper and the masseuse opened it and found him unconscious. They attempted to wake him; when they couldn't, they called 911.

We're told when paramedics responded, the actor was in full cardiac arrest. They attempted to perform CPR on him, but were unsuccessful. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

The 28-year-old actor has a two year old daughter with former fiancee Michelle Williams -- they separated in September, 2007. He plays The Joker in the upcoming Batman film, "The Dark Knight" and is perhaps best known for his groundbreaking role as Ennis in "Brokeback Mountain."

We're told Heath had dinner last night with his model girlfriend Gemma Ward.

caligirl

WOW...i have the same reaction as everyone else...WHAT??? I hope this is a joke or incorrect information.

Destonia

Uh, ChiTown.. Heath has a daughter with Michelle Williams, not Michelle Phillips.. Michelle Phillips was with the Mama's and the Papa's and about 60 years old.

This is so sad, I hope it's not true.

Lori2U

WTF HAPPENED?????? OH MY ~ THIS IS TRAGIC.

Sabrina

WTF??? IS THIS REAL??? OMG!! That is so sad, and so unexpected. I feel terrible for his family, he was a great actor and will be missed... RIP

cartwheel

IF this is true, i am really shocked. ledger truly seemed invincible. suicide? IF true, RIP, man. i'm very sorry.

sherricheu

It will be from a drug overdose no doubt......I pray not, but won't be surprised.

terri

OMG! Page Six is saying the same thing!! This is unbelievable. Of all the people I would have guessed would OD he was NOT one of them.

Ms. Giant1

My condolences go to the daughter and family members.
RIP!!!! I hope this is a mis print on TMZ's behalf!!!!!

seda

I JUST SAW IT ON THE NEWS.

OH MY GOD.

i can't believe this.
he's so young.
how did this just happen?
i'm shocked to the core.

Monica

Oh..this is so sad, he was such a great actor, very very sad news. My condolences go out to his family :-(

Mozzie

Waaaaa what? Huh? Did I just read this right?? OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow................

Mare

All I have to say is WTF and RIP.........so sad!

er9803

wow

ME

HOLLYWOOD'S GOING CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DRUGS, SUICIDE, CRAZINESS! WHAT'S NEXT???????

Matt

I really hope this is some bad information