Brit Could Be Involuntary Commitment Candidate

1/31/2008 10:16 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Sources at UCLA Medical Center tell TMZ Britney Spears has been classified as "G.D." -- Gravely Disabled. That is a huge and dangerous deal. That means the patient is unable to take care of basic needs, such as the acquisition of food, clothing or shelter. Being G.D. is one of the criteria for involuntary commitment.

Several health care professionals tell us Britney has fallen into a "manic state" due to her bipolar disorder. We're also told she arrived at the hospital this morning at around 2:15 AM, but wasn't admitted until 4:15 AM because she was causing such a scene in the hospital.

We first reported that Britney accused her mother of sleeping with her boyfriend. Now we have more. We're told Britney screamed, "The only reason she's admitting me is because she wants to be alone with her boyfriend! She wants to sleep with my boyfriend!!" Britney never said exactly who she was talking about.

When Brit calmed down, she talked about her kids, how much she misses them and how it's unfair that she doesn't have them.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

TMZ is pathetic

Those so called "health professionals" are brilliant!! Especially considering it's "gravely disabled" not greatly disabled....great "sources" TMZ

Junie T.

Happy To Be Me - Thanks for posting that youtube video. I hadn't seen it and I thought it was beautiful.

water

Wow- look at how she has aged from the stress over the past year... look at photos side by side through a timeline. Stress aint no joke. From the photo on this post, she looks like she is 40.

just me

And those "sources at" the UCLA Med Center are what? Employees who do not have access to her or her medical file setting around in the cafeteria gossiping? Janitors and matrons gossiping? Parking garage attendants gossiping? The hospital groundskeepers gossiping? Are those the "sources at" the UCLA Med Center?

PUBLIC SAFETY IS AT STAKE

CALIFORNIA.
IT
NEEDS
TO
STOP!

Sharona

Why are all the medical and her problems being discussed by sources from the hospital. Patient records, I thought, were confidential.

Baseball Junkie

I can understand where Britney is coming from because I've been there although never as bad. I was very lucky because I found a man who was willing to put up with my swings and help me deal with them. It's a shame Britney never did. I agree with whoever was wondering who else in Britney's family is bipolar. This is a genetic based biochemical imbalance in the brain. I've never heard of a spontaneous mutation. Everyone on my mother's side of the family has it, some worse than others but I'm the only one sane enough to voluntarily seek treatment. When you're inside the bipolar, you don't even realize that there's anything wrong. Your warped world view seems perfectly normal. I didn't even remember from one swing to the next what I had said. I'd pick a fight with my husband and then deny everything when my mood swung again. This may be the explanation for Britney's many personalities. It's not quite the same thing as Multiple Personality Disorder because there is no control personality who remembers everything.

The biggest difference between me and Britney (well, mentally anyway) is I went to get help after I had a child because I remembered what my mother's bipolar had done to me. I wanted to save my baby from that. Even so it took years to get a proper balance on my meds and I still have some mood swings although I take my medications every day. It's not always enough. I've been seeing a psychiatrist for years who knows my moods and can tell when I'm starting to swing and adjust my meds accordingly. This is a very difficult disease to live with. For the person with it and for everyone who cares about them. I almost despise her family for not seeing the problem before this and helping her get treatment before things got so bad.

It's true that a belief in a higher power will help you get through this and many other problems. I'm a Wiccan and I know the Mother has helped me through this and never left me to suffer alone. Whichever divine spirit Britney believes in can help her though this if she prays for help.

Sparticus

EXCELLENT!

BAM

THANK GOD!! Someone please help this girl. I wonder if Britney ever sees any of the TMZ video's of her self and does she even.... realize how STUPID she looks! I just wish the girl would stay home and order out or order on line, something other then going out into the public eye for a while, I'm tired of seeing her everywhere you go!

Heehee

Everybody in the mental health profession know that this is not just a break down and if she is not testing posititive for normal street drugs, then something else has to be in her system. Bi-polar people have 'down' times. This girl has been on an 'up' for over a year. Something is wrong wrong wrong.

Annette

SO MUCH FOR THE HIPAA LAWS.

Narcissa

Well, if being "gravely disablesd" means not being to get your own food, shelter and clothing, she doesn't sound "gravely disabled" tp me. The woman owns at least 2 luxury properties in Claifornia, and does nothing but shop and eat. Plus, she brings in over $750, 000 a MONTH, so what's the problem?

I say let her go. She's not bothering anyone. :0)

SUN

Listen! No way would the hospital give any medical opinion at this point. They will try to keep her as long as possibe at this point, and she will have no visitors for the first 24-hours, and after that it will yet to be determined. I can guarantee you, they the hospital have no idea what is wrong with her yet, its probably a combination of a few things. She will be tested medically and given a battery of tests. So this bi-polar diagnosis sounds like something some doc through around at some point, but I doubt that is her only issue, and Britney has never been in any one place long enough to get properly diagnosed until now.

Alice

Oh, Good Lord...leave the chick alone...and give the rest of us a rest!

Just Me2

I sincerly hope that the display of Britney's downfall REMINDS everyone that truly, money $$$
is the root of all evil. Hopefully, all that has happened to Britney, whether from external forces, her families doing, or by her own hand help to remind the average individual to be happy with what we have, be happy with our children, and not always go after the "brass ring" so to speak. Britney's life, the positive and not so positive that we are now seeing should be a lesson for those that want to live thru their children, to make their children become all that they weren't.

I am not and have never been a britney "fan". I will say that watching this sad life unfold (whether she is talented or not) is very sad and has DEFINITELY made me appreciate all that I have, and leave the "envying" to others.

From one human to another: I wouldn't wish this tragedy on my own worst enemy.

Life to all.